On Silhouette Now...9/3/2017...Food Review

sueinvienna

I am currently staying in a Royal Suite heading to our final destination tomorrow. I had the ability to dine anywhere on the ship without a charge. We tried all of the specialty restaurants (all of them at least twice except for Qsine which was still enjoyable too). I also dined in Luminae, Blu and the Ocean View Café for early breakfast or late lunch. We had room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner and those meals were good as well. I did not have one bad meal. Luminae was a bit slow in the mornings...and I did prefer Blu for breakfast. But seriously, all of the meals were very good. The wait staff, managers, and hosts were attentive and friendly as well. Not sure if I would be this happy if I had to eat in the Ocean View every day because that is one crowded and chaotic experience...but I did walk around there on several occasions and found the variety to be quite extensive (Indian, Asian, Spanish, hot carvery, salads, desserts, fruit, usual fare). Would recommend a drink package if you like to consume alcohol.

Picking a favorite would be hard since they were so different. Having so many options on the ship made it enjoyable. Heading to the Lawn Club tonight for our final dinner! If you have any questions let me know.

I also submitted a more detailed review concerning the cruise.

I am currently staying in a Royal Suite heading to our final destination tomorrow. I had the ability to dine anywhere on the ship without a charge. We tried all of the specialty restaurants (all of them at least twice except for Qsine which was still enjoyable too). I also dined in Luminae, Blu and the Ocean View Café for early breakfast or late lunch. We had room service for breakfast, lunch and dinner and those meals were good as well. I did not have one bad meal. Luminae was a bit slow in the mornings...and I did prefer Blu for breakfast. But seriously, all of the meals were very good. The wait staff, managers, and hosts were attentive and friendly as well. Not sure if I would be this happy if I had to eat in the Ocean View every day because that is one crowded and chaotic experience...but I did walk around there on several occasions and found the variety to be quite extensive (Indian, Asian, Spanish, hot carvery, salads, desserts, fruit, usual fare). Would recommend a drink package if you like to consume alcohol.

Picking a favorite would be hard since they were so different. Having so many options on the ship made it enjoyable. Heading to the Lawn Club tonight for our final dinner! If you have any questions let me know.

I also submitted a more detailed review concerning the cruise.

Thanks for your comments. We are regular RS cruisers but our first Silhouette cruise is next year...

Just a couple of questions...

How did you find room service?

What was the atmosphere/ambiance like in Michael's Club?

Thanks

Room service was pretty good for us. I don't know if that was because we had an awesome butler or maybe priority for the RS level. We had two early breakfasts delivered at 6 am on excursion days...no complaints and the food wasn't cold. I also ordered lunch one day and had a late dinner when husband wasn't feeling well. He got chicken soup and I got a medium rare filet mignon. Both were fine and delivered in less than 30 minutes.

I am not a drinker...but my husband did go to Michael's occasionally. It is not a fancy lounge. Just a bar with a bunch of chairs/couches to relax in. There are also a bunch of refrigerators stocked behind the bar filled with beer, soda, and water. I could walk in and get what I wanted. There was some good private entertainment events scheduled and tea time provided there as well. It was also a place you could work with Nico the concierge. She was also very good and attentive. Really pleased with the overall experience. Just not sure if I would be as happy with this cruise at a lower level since I really don't enjoy the large cruise ship experience...though most people I met at the Aqua Spa level seemed pleased as well.

I never saw it busy though more people were in it during certain times (early excursion departure or when we were meeting for a special event). Pre-dinner most folks were outside the club at another bar listening to live entertainment. Nico was very strict about only letting suite guests into the club. Also, If I needed anything the butler would bring it to the suite. He also delivered light snacks (fruit, finger sandwiches, cheese plates etc) to our room every late afternoon if we didn't make it to afternoon tea. Nico and Allano treated us very well.

My only complaint stems from the behavior of some of our fellow cruisers. Unfortunately when you have such a large group of people on a ship you will have some issues. Dinner tonight seemed like we were on a Carnival cruise. The table behind us behaved like they were at a frat party...and considering people were paying an upcharge for that restaurant...it just wasn't fair to the others there. Plus we saw someone that was in a Sky Suite treat the concierge like dirt on several occasions. That is one reason I do like Viking Ocean Cruises, people are a bit more relaxed and polite. But again all the special RS inclusions did make this a nice vacation. I will truly miss some of the staff that we befriended on the Silhouette. They are a great group of people.

Hi, great to hear how great the dining has been on your cruise. We are staying in a Royal Suite on Silhouette next month, can I ask - what is the name of your butler? And did you have to ask for the sandwiches/fruit/cheese to be delivered when you missed afternoon tea in Michael's or was it brought automatically?

Thanks!

The dining was very good. Only certain things were kind of mediocre, like I didn't think the rib eye steaks were as good as the filets. Allano appeared to bring by trays to all of the suites every day. Not sure if that was because he noticed that I didn't go down for tea... But just ask him when you first check in. He will go above and beyond for you. For example, I usually make a health drink every day at home. He and I discussed the ingredients and then we gathered them from the café and kept them in my fridge. We tried to make it in the room with a borrowed blender but that didn't work. So he started to make the drink for me at the Michael's bar and leave me a carafe in my fridge daily. I think he was drinking it too since he has an interest in health drink concoctions! Very cool of him to go out of his way. It became a joke since I took a glass of it with me to the restaurants and all the waiters would comment on the ugly yellow drink on the table. Just an example of how hard Allano will work to ensure you have a great vacation. Truly devoted to doing an excellent job.