Starboard or Port to Alaska

GPS GIO

I'm finally going to get off my wallet and book a cabin that is not in the dredges of the boat with no windows; therefore, I've got no experience with outside state rooms, never mind balconies or windows.

What side should I book for an Alaskan Cruise> Port side or Starboard side?

My thinking is the Mainland of BC and the Coastal Mountains is on the right hand side as your floating towards Alaska in the Inside Passage, so book Starboard; however, I did not want to book anything until somebody gives first hand accounts.

Your experiences and suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks GPS

Most people like starboard for northbound and port for southbound for the reason you mentioned, particulary through the inside passage. It is less 'necessary' with a window than with a balcony, IMO, because at the first sign of something interesting you will run outside to lean over the rail and get a better look. Have done Alaska southbound twice, once with an inside, and once with a balcony. Actually had better sights with the inside, perhaps because the weather was nicer and there were more windows in the public areas on the first trip. But you are correct in thinking the east side of the ship will have the better views on any given day.

Archived