Alaska Tours

boleynkid

To help me with my research, I would be most grateful for some ideas with regards "must do" tours. This is our first and will possibly be our only Alaska cruise so I am hoping to make the most of our vacation next June/July. We are in our 50's so age is not a problem.

With regards cruise lines, the choice appears to be between Princess or HAL with Princess seemingly offering more in the way of evening entertainment. Would be interested to hear people's thoughts with regards to the quality of ships for these lines.

Thank you

Is this a RT cruise or one-way with some land travel pre/post cruise ?

I encourage you to read thru trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page. There are some wonderful photo journals that will give you a good look at the ships interior and public areas, even the meals, plus info on on-board activities, excursions, etc.

You'll find that the major cruiselines are more alike than different when it comes to Alaska. More important is to look CLOSELY at the itinerary; ensure that you're in port long enough and at the right time of day for any planned activities. If glacier viewing is important to you try to include Glacier Bay plus another if you're doing a OW cruise.

As for 'must do's" , we all have different interests. No point suggesting fishing vendors, or heli dog sledding if you don't have the interest (or budget). Look at the trip reports to see what other people experienced. Borrow an Alaska travel book from the library. Every port has a web site to support tourism and local vendors and they have a Visitor Guide. This one is for Ketchikan and has a link to download the Visitor Guide. http://www.experienceketchikan.com

Look down the page and you'll find a thread called HELPFUL RESOURCES .... It has many web sites with info on Alaska travel.

Is this a RT cruise or one-way with some land travel pre/post cruise ?

I encourage you to read thru trip reports posted in STICKYs near the top of the page. There are some wonderful photo journals that will give you a good look at the ships interior and public areas, even the meals, plus info on on-board activities, excursions, etc.

You'll find that the major cruiselines are more alike than different when it comes to Alaska. More important is to look CLOSELY at the itinerary; ensure that you're in port long enough and at the right time of day for any planned activities. If glacier viewing is important to you try to include Glacier Bay plus another if you're doing a OW cruise.

As for 'must do's" , we all have different interests. No point suggesting fishing vendors, or heli dog sledding if you don't have the interest (or budget). Look at the trip reports to see what other people experienced. Borrow an Alaska travel book from the library. Every port has a web site to support tourism and local vendors and they have a Visitor Guide. This one is for Ketchikan and has a link to download the Visitor Guide. http://www.experienceketchikan.com

Look down the page and you'll find a thread called HELPFUL RESOURCES .... It has many web sites with info on Alaska travel.

Many thanks mapleleaves very useful.

Quick must-do thoughts...

• look for a ship that includes Glacier Bay for the best glacier experience.
  • need extra days in Vancouver
  • look for a combo tour that includes the White Pass railway.
  • Juneau's whale watches and Mendenhall are popular.

glad to you hear you are looking at June/July when the weather is dryer

Quick must-do thoughts...

• look for a ship that includes Glacier Bay for the best glacier experience.
  • need extra days in Vancouver
  • look for a combo tour that includes the White Pass railway.
  • Juneau's whale watches and Mendenhall are popular.

glad to you hear you are looking at June/July when the weather is dryer

Many thanks xlxo. I might only have a limited time to research before booking so it is good to have an idea of what are the popular tours.