Must See and buys in Costa Maya

Mike Lee

We are sailing on the Christmas sailing of the Valor with a new stop in Costa Maya instead of Cozumel. We have not been to this port before and need advice on what is the best thing to do and what local items to buy with our two teenage daughters?

I don't know that I can offer any suggestions other than to look at my Costa Maya Photo Gallery. Maybe it will help.

What we did for pretty much most of the day was hang at the beach in Mahahual. My kids are young enough to still enjoy playing in the sand and water. I don't know about 2 teen girls, yet. DD is only 10. The shopping is cheaper in Mahahual, and be prepared to politely bargain for things, it is expected. I though the food at the place we ate was very good and it was inexpensive. I did see jet skis for rent and a banana boat ride on the beach there too.

The cruise ship won't tell you about Mahahual, or they'll tell you it's not safe to do things other that what the cruise ship offers. DON'T BELIEVE IT!!! We took a cab ride ($5 per person round trip) to Mahahual and are so glad we did. We never felt unsafe at any time.

Where the taxis drop you off is a dirt road with stores on either side. Ocean is on the left. We walked about 1/4 mile to a Beach Bar called Buluche which was amazing. Look for the green chairs. The beers were cheap (2 Dos Equis for $3) and they had great chips and salsa. I suggest you walk quite a distance and check everything out before making a purchase. The further you go, the cheaper and less busy it is.

The water was amazing. It was very calm, clear, and lagoon-like because the waves break on a sandbar about 150 yards out. The water is very shallow. We were able to walk out over 100 feet and the water never got above our waist (I'm only 5' 5") . There is a guy who walked the beach with a huge lizard for pictures. Have your camera ready, it was amazing. There were also other vendors who walked the beach selling bracelets, purses, etc.

What I liked most of all is that Mahahual is not developed like most ports. Once you get away from the cruise-ship "Puerto Costa Maya" then you enter paradise. No large hotel resorts and no chain restaurants. If your idea of fun is playing in the water, relaxing under coconut palm trees on the beach, eating great authentic Mexican food, and getting some really good deals in the local shops then you should like Mahahual.

We never had any problem with "Montezuma's Revenge" (a.k.a diarrhea).

One note.....bring cash (American dollars). There are not very many places that accept credit cards in Mahahual. Also show them only the cash you are willing to pay for an item and tell them that is all you have. We were able to get a belt listed for $40 and a silver bracelet listed for $23 for only $20 total by doing this. A great deal!

Have fun!!!

We are sailing on the Christmas sailing of the Valor with a new stop in Costa Maya instead of Cozumel. We have not been to this port before and need advice on what is the best thing to do and what local items to buy with our two teenage daughters?

Depending on your daughter's styles they'll be able to get pampered w/ massages n hair braiding or have some adventure w/ snorkeling, atv riding or bargaining w/ the nearby vendors.

You'll definitely enjoy majahual as a replacement port. (well, nothing can truly 'replace' coz...but it's a fantastic port IMO)

As a must-buy...i can't help you. I bought some beaded bracelets and a beautiful carved stone wind chime ($10 total) but didn't do any serious shopping there.

If your teens love water..they will enjoy Costa Maya. Take a cab ride to Mahahual Beach area. It's georgous!!

We rented jet skis for $35/couple for 30 minutes out in the deep water. It was great!

They offer wonderful and I mean wonderful 45 min. massages on the beach for $20. We gladly gave our girl a $5 tip.

The beer is cheap and they make great :D $5 margaritas (for the adults).

The further down the road you walk...the cheaper the prices on everything b/c most tourist stop at the first vendors.....so meander down the road a bit!!!

CostaMaya is the one port I suggest you just kick back and enjoy the beach and the sun. There's good shopping right on the pier. The vendors back in Mahahual sell mostly trinkets and very nice silver jewlery!!!

If you are going to Belize and your teens are adventurous...try the ZIP line tour through the rainforest..very safe and a wonderful experience of a life time. Email if you want more info. :)

I don't know that I can offer any suggestions other than to look at my Costa Maya Photo Gallery. Maybe it will help.

What we did for pretty much most of the day was hang at the beach in Mahahual. My kids are young enough to still enjoy playing in the sand and water. I don't know about 2 teen girls, yet. DD is only 10. The shopping is cheaper in Mahahual, and be prepared to politely bargain for things, it is expected. I though the food at the place we ate was very good and it was inexpensive. I did see jet skis for rent and a banana boat ride on the beach there too.

Great photos!!

I am now hoping that we are going to be in Costa Maya over Cozumel!

Not that I don't like Coz and want great recovery for them but since I was just there in April and this looks soooooo fabulous!

Archived