Questions for Japan cruisers.

chromered7

Has anyone had any experience of ship wifi, portable wifi devices, or contacting the UK from the Japan region.

Can you use a UK debit / credit card in cash machines throughout Japan?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The Wi-Fi onboard works just like anywhere else in the world, and you should have no trouble getting in touch with the UK

International non-Japanese debit cards are another matter, out side of Major cities where there are some 7-11 store that have ATM's that except foreign cards the only place to use international cards and get Yen is at a Post office that has an ATMs, and note not all Post Offices, specially in smaller towns have ATMs .

IMO..It's a bit bewildering that in this day & age a first world country like Japan still has these foreign transaction restrictions, but that's the reality of traveling in Japan.. Its Japanese !!

My advise is if you're flying to meet the ship, that you hit the airport ATMs for all the currency you think you'll need before exiting the airport where all the international airport ATMs except foreign cards for Yen transactions

Srpilo

Never had a problem getting cash in Japan with my us debit card.

As for the internet, I would get a wifi hot spot. We used it on our last trip and it was great. Everyone in our group was connected to in the internet, which was great for checking emails and staying connected via whatsapp. Even more valuable was using it for navigation and translating menus and other signs. You can either pick up the device at the airport, or have it waiting for you at your hotel. They give you prepaid envelope for return, which can be dropped off at most convenience stores or you can return at the airport. The company I used was wifi-hire, but there are several out there. If you reserve in advance you get a pretty good discount.

Has anyone had any experience of ship wifi, portable wifi devices, or contacting the UK from the Japan region.

Can you use a UK debit / credit card in cash machines throughout Japan?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Wifi on the ship is average. There are many companies who do the pocket wifi.... pick up at airport on arrival and drop off to a postbox as you leave the country. Obviously probably wont work sea days or south Korea ports etc.

A friend reccomended rentalwifi.com... I plan on booking end of the week. Less than three weeks now till the Diamond!