Best way to check in in Long Beach

Rockitman

I'm booked this weekend on the Pride and will be staying at the Coast hotel the night before.

I wish to learn the best most efficient way to get checked in and boarded on this ship. I wish to avoid long lines.

I am very confused right now as I have read here about early checkin's and such but I was just off the phone with 2 different Carnival reps, and they say there is no such thing. The line opens at 11:30am.

So, somebody please explain what goes on down there.

Can I possibly bring my luggage there early in the morning, go through some early check in process, go back to my hotel, wake up my honey, checkout and come back to the Pride and get on a shorter line that allows us to get right on?

Here's the short answer:

You can take the free Passport "C" shuttle (http://www.lbtransit.com/routemenu.asp?id=86c) to and from the terminal.

Probably around 09:30 the porters will start taking baggage and early checkin will open at the stern of Queen Mary. That's where they give you your Sign'n'Sail card. I think only one of you needs to be there, but it could have changed. The earlier you are, the shorter the line.

You can line up to enter the Dome after that any time before sailing, but they won't start letting you in until about 12:30. The sooner you get in line, the more you'll wait for the Dome to open but the less time you'll wait to get into the Dome once it's open. First in line is first on the ship (after wedding parties, Skipper's Club, AWD, etc.).

So it's up to you. When we sailed on Ecstasy we were the first in line and we'll be first in line for Carnival Pride, but that's the way our family is: strange.

We just cruised the Pride on Nov. 27th to December 4th. We arrived at the dome by taxi about 12:15pm and gave our bags to the Porter. We walked out of the taxi area about 50 yards to the dome and waited in line for about 10 minutes. The Early Check-In people were already in a different line that wrapped around the dome to the left. We were then moved up to the desk to get our Sign and Sail Cards, we were sent to the line for Non-U.S. Residents, (we are Canadian) took about 5 minutes to do all the paperwork. While we were getting our Sign and Sail cards the early check-in people passed by us in one group and we followed them on to the photo stations. The early check in people got on the ship about 2-3 minutes ahead of us. I don't know how long they had been waiting in line that morning but it took us about 20 minutes to do everything. I don't see any advantage to early check-in unless you want to leave your bags and then go back to Long Beach to do something. I should add that I had read on this board and in other reviews how disorganized and painful the check-in procedure was. I found it to be well organized, efficient and quick.

We went 2 weeks ago to watch some friends sail away, they didn't do early check in. They got there around 2 and had a long line to wait in, but it went quick. It didn't look unorganized or anything. We did see where the early check in was located and there are signs pointing you to the early check in area. Here are some pictures of the early check in area, the line to the dome and the parking structure next to the line.

IMG_3348.jpg

IMG_3359.jpg

IMG_3363.jpg

We've used early check in twice, the Pride & Paradise. As others have said, you will not get on before 12:30 or so. All in all, I doubt we'll do it that way again. If you are near the head of the regular line - arriving between 11-12, you will be through the sign-n-sail check in process quickly. Also, you could drop off your luggage much earlier (9:30'ish), and then come back later to get on-board. Other item to consider - the weather. If it's rainy - there is no covered areas to wait in.

Other item to consider - the weather. If it's rainy - there is no covered areas to wait in.

Massive high pressure ridge between LA and the Jet Stream pushing any trace of moisture into Canada. Worry more about moisturizer than umbrellas.

Archived