Barbados-Payne's Beach, snorkel, Blue Monkey & a great alternative to catamarans

foxontherun

We were in Barbados 11/17 and had a perfect, perfect day that we just fell into. I'd like to recommed it to anyone visiting. We read about SilverMoon and another cruise couple we met also recommended it, but we couldn't get on the boat. That was very lucky for us as it turns out. Our taxi driver, Stephen, aka "Apple" too us to Payne's Beach (recommended here as a "best beach", it as a $30 roundtrip fare) where his uncle, "Marvelous" rents chairs, snorkels and special services. We entered through a charming restaurant, THE BLUE MONKEY. White washed walls, water fountains,local artworks, padded booths and marble topped tables. The restaurant's menu was a surpise, a decent wine list and some good champanges (we're bubble people). We had Mimosa's on the beach $4, beach chairs and umbrella, $15 a couple. Lunch was scampis in fillo with Mango chutney, flying fish sandwichs with goat cheese, watercress and herb vinagrette, Bank beer and bottled water. $25 for the two of us. We rented snorkels and a boogie board for $25 and swam out to where Silvermoon and the other tour boats come to watch the sea turtles. We were in the water just as the other boat were leaving and snorkeled for about 90 minutes with 4-5 other couples who also from the beach. No big deal, it's about 100 yards out and the water is maybe 8-10 feet deep. Before we left, we had French chocolates and cappies. We chatted over lunch with a local couple and met two more couples also from the Serenade. We also enjoyed talking to the local conservation officer who was on the beach that day. It was serene, great food, drink beach and snorkeling. Tips and all we spent $125. We fell in tall cotton on this one and I gladly recommend it as a great day!

There are other small boats from Paynes Beach if you don't want to swim out. They are 2-8 people sized and rent for about $25-$35 for 1-2 hours. If you're just watching the sea turtles, and hour is plenty. All the tour boats come here to see the turtles, RCI, SILVERMOON, CARNIVAL etc.. they are all in this location because they feed the turtles right here from local boats and have for years. I found a review of the restaurant I mentioned and photos of their food and menu. PLEASE NOTE, the prices quoted on the menu are Caribbean dollars, NOT IN USD. The conversion is a about half: $10 caribbean was $5.60 USD when we were there in November.

http://www.escapehotels.co.uk/bluemonkey.aspx

Foxontherun,

Thanks so much for this info!!! We'll be in Barbados in Feb. and I think we'll try to go here. I'm hoping we can go see Harrison caves first and then go to this beach for the afternoon. With such a nice restaurant, we wouldn't even have to stop back at the ship before heading there. Now I just have to figure out how far Payne's beach is from Harrison's Caves.:rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...
We fell in tall cotton on this one and I gladly recommend it as a great day!

Thank you so much for this post. We are going to be in Barbados on Feb 18th and I plan on walking into that tall cotton you fell into. We were having a hard time deciding what to do and you just made it an easy choice.

Cruisin Kelly

We (mom and 15 yo son and 13 yo daughter) will be in Barbados on April 6th and could not book with silvermoon. as they were full. Would you recommend this for families? How difficult is the swim/snorle, for novice swimmers?

Sounds like our kind of beach - thanks for the post. Does Paynes Beach have rest rooms? Change rooms? Lockers?

Paynes Bay Beach does not have any kind of Restrooms, changing rooms or lockers. However.. If you purchase food from Coach House, they do have a small changing room (not a restroom) on the path leading from the beach to the main road (and their main restaurant on the other side of the road).

The Blue Monkey may have a restroom (likely), but wouldn't be for use unless you eat there.

along that same stretch is Sandy Lane Beach to the north and some other hotels/restaurants towards the south. Not sure if any of them allow for usuage of facilities or not (Sandy Lane for sure would not).

have a great time

Archived