5th Deck Wheel accessible cabin on Sovereign

smokester

Can someone tell me just how wide the door is on one of these cabins? My Uncle just booked one of these cabins & was told that the width was 22 inches. That can't be so as most doors need to be at least 32 inches wide for a wheelchair to fit thru. Any info is very appreciated.Thanks!

I do not know if it is current, but according to the Access Able website

"The Sovereign of the Seas has six accessible staterooms. The numbers are C-1050, C-1550, I-2580, I-2582, K-5589 and K-5089. Both the cabin and bathroom doors are 32" wide The staterooms are designed for wheelchair maneuverability. The bathrooms have no sills and a wheelchair can make a full circle. They have roll-in showers with hand held showers, grab bars and fold down seats (18" long, 14.5" wide, 20.5" high). The toilets is 17.5" high and have grab bars. The sinks are accessible. "

DEL67, Thank you for your reply. I did find that info on the website, finally. My Uncle is a parapalegic, & this will be my first time cruising w/ him. He was quoted, myself also, that the width was 22 inches by our TA. His wheelchair is wider than that so we were a little worried. We will be traveling w/ 4 other couples w/4 strong young men, so if we have ANY problems, they will not hesitate to just pick him up & tote him where ever he needs to go.:D

I'm guessing your TA is not real experienced in accessible travel and he/she just quoted the standard width of the cabin doors. If you do not have cabins 5589 or 5089 (the 5th deck accessible cabins) that is what the door width will be. But if you do, then you are in luck.

Sometimes the cruise lines do assign non-accessible cabins to disabled people who can walk and fold their wc's. SO door width is not an issue (or so they think).

As an aside, I've found a lot of factual errors on Access-Able in their cruise section, so I do caution folks to verify them with the special needs department of the cruise lines. They don't actually do on-site inspections, and the info is all second-hand.

Candy

Thnak you Queenie2. My Uncle Chris ia paralyzed from the waist down, so there is not getting out of the chair & walking. He has booked one of the 2 rooms that you mentioned, so I don't think there will be any problems. Thank you again.

• 5 weeks later...

cruised on this ship on nov 14,2005 The cabin my son had cabin 5089 on deck 5 was wheel chair ass. But the deck has in the mid of two deck to go to the shops you had to go down or up to get thair and a cross in down or up to the deck the shops has on This was no fun

Archived