How far away is the ferry /Hyatt for the pier?

MamaMicki

Hello all,

I looked in some of the older posts and couldn't find the answer to the my question.We are coming into GC in January and have 2 small children. Is the ferry safe for little ones. Also, is Rum point good for little ones. Playground anything like that? I guess is it Kid friendly? And like the question in the title, How far is the Hyatt/Ferry from the peir? Thanks for your time. Take Care!

About a 10 minute +/- taxi ride. I think there is a gas surcharge now, so maybe $5pp for the taxi.

Red Sail Sports used to run the ferry you might try contacting them:

http://www.redsailcayman.com/gc_contact.html

The ferry schedule may not be cruiser friendly.

http://grandcayman.hyatt.com/hyatt/hotels/services/transportation/index.jsp

• 2 weeks later...

As of Dec 17, 2005 the ferry to Rum Point is not yet in regular operation. Very sporadically it is operating for a single round trip when chartered by a cruise line for a shore excursion.

At this time there is no firm schedule as to when the ferry service will resume.

And how do I know? I work at Rum Point.

Hi Drew - since you work at Rum Pt. Beach, would you answer a couple of questions? We are considering renting a car and driving from the pier to the beach. How much time should we allocate for this? Is this a public beach or is there an admission charge? What facilities are there? ie: restrooms, lounge chairs, restaurants, bars? Can we purchase an all-inclusive from the entryway? Do these venues take credit cards or just cash (traveler's checks?). Thanks!! Anything else you can think of about the area, please let us know from an "islanders" perspective!

Hi O2cruise,

I don't mean to step on Drew's toes...

We did what you are thinking about doing in October. It was wonderful! We did the cruise ship passenger special thru Cico-Avis. They picked us up in front of the Blue Iguana (3 minute walk from the HAL tender) and took us to their site at the airport. Figure 45 minutes to an hour to drive from the airport to Rum Point. The speed limit is rather low. The beach is public. We were not charged for parking or chairs. We ate and had drinks at The Wreck Bar. You can order and eat at the picnic tables on the beach side easily. We used our American Express. I think they took everything. There were loungers, picnic tables and hammocks (yep... hammocks!) at no charge. The water was warm, calm and shallow. There were trees near the water that provided shade. The snorkeling was easy. There were large restroom facilities, and a gift shop we didn't go into. It was uncrowded. We took the car back to Avis, they took us back to the Blue Iguana, and we were back on the ship in plenty of time. To sum it up, it was a perfect day... one of the highlights of our trip. We will be doing a repeater of that day trip when we visit GC again. The only suggestion I would make on the side is to bring water booties, which I bring on every cruise anyway. The sand at the waters edge is a little pebbley, but once you are in, or out, it is smooth as sugar. Have a fun cruise!

Pretty much summed it up.

Drive time is 45 minutes if you don't miss the turn onto Frank Sound Road which shortcuts across the island.

Rum Point basics since you asked:

No admission charge.

Beach chairs at no charge, but on a first come basis. There are LOTS.

Food and drinks served through the Wreck Bar onsite. They accept credit cards, trav checks, and CI or US cash.

Large restroom facilities with showers for cleanup.

No "all-inclusive" pricing available

Watersports rentals available include snorkel gear, kayaks, jet skis and such.

There is a Stingray trip that departs from Rum Point, but timing may be quite difficult depending upon your ship's schedule.

Archived