Nativeway Review = Pretty Good

grvdggr71

Used Nativeway on 12/1 for our stop in Grand Cayman on our Radiance of the Seas cruise. We were scheduled for the 10:30AM Rays and Island Tour.

We were off the ship by 9:30, and wanted to figure out where to meet the guides (we had never been to Grand Cayman before). Our tenders went to the North terminal, though we didn't see anybody from Nativeway at the North terminal as we were walking into town. We did find the guide at the South terminal after asking at the Information Booth. He told us to meet across the street from the South terminal at 10:20, which was great - it allowed us to do some souvenir shopping prior to the excursion.

After shopping, we waited at the designated spot. At about 10:30, the guide came back and explained that he was waiting for a few more people to show up and that it would be 10 more minutes. To make a long story short, 11 people were scheduled for our tour but 5 were no-shows. Nativeway gains points for having smaller tours (11 would have been fine, but only having 6 was even better as far as I am concerned). However, Nativeway lost points as it was after 11 AM by the time we actually left the port area via bus (more on this later).

The trip to the boat was ok, but there wasn't much of a tour given. Most of the trip to the boat we just sat in silence, with either one of the guides on their cell phone at any given time (is this a cultural thing? One of our guides was on the phone about every 10 minutes). We arrived at the boat which was in really good shape. Our guide spoke up a little more as we headed to Stingray City (and a lot more on our way back). We found our own little piece of Stingray City to enjoy, and the rays were quickly lured by our squid. This part of the tour was the best, with plenty of photos to take. We saw other tours nearby with overloaded boats, some with over 100 people. Stingray City was a clear highlight of this tour.

After our time with the rays, we motored back to the dock and boarded the bus again for the island tour. Our guide showed us parts of the island, some of which showed off "old building techniques" vs. new. For example, The Old Homestead was virtually untouched by Hurricane Ivan, whereas one apartment complex was still in shambles and the owner had not yet decided to rebuild. Our first main stop was the Turtle Farm. This place exceeded my expectation, and the photo ops with the turtles was great. I think we spent a little too much time here, however, as the guide grabbed a quick bite of lunch (I can't fault the guy for being hungry, but...)

After getting back on the bus, one couple that was on the Carnival Conquest noted the time - 2pm. Their last tender departed at 3pm. As a result, we were EXTREMELY rushed at the last two stops - Hell and the Tortuga Rum Cake Factory. I know these are small attractions, but we didn't have much time to look through the gift shops or take pictures. We didn't even see the factory part of the Rum Cake Factory - only the gift shop. After these quick stops, we zig-zagged through the terrible traffic along Seven Mile Beach to try to get to the port on time, and we just made it (although the line for the Carnival tender looked at least an hour wait).

I understand that the rush wasn't completely the fault of Nativeway: they don't set the ship's early departure schedule, they have to get people back on time (I know I'd want to be back on time), and that 5 no-shows is a significant number (almost half the reservations). But, being rushed through the last part of the tour took away from an otherwise fantastic tour. I will recommend Nativeway (and probably use them again), though I might recommend a Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour over the Rays and Island tour. Overall, B+.

Hi There! I was the one of the two people who were on the Conquest and on this excursion with you! I'm so sorry you guys were rushed because of us, I felt horrible. But, I wonder if things would have gone more smoothly if we had actually left at 10:30! Also, did you notice how it took no time to get to the stingrays, but on the way back they took their time = stalled in order to meet with the next group off the bus??? I think this too took up too much of our time, but I liked the information that the Ebanks guy gave us while on the boat. The other guy that actually did the island tour didn't seem as knowledgable.

By no means do I think that it was your guys fault we were rushed - Nativeway knew (or at least should have known) what time the ships left. Do NOT feel bad because we were rushed at the end, as it is not your fault.

I completely agree with you - I felt the tour was a little disorganized. Our guide on the boat was very good, whereas the bus guide seemed...distracted? Uninterested? Either way, if I book through Nativeway again, I think it will be for a snorkel only tour (I don't think Island tours are their strong point). It was good to meet you though - how did you like your cruise on the Conquest?

LOVED IT...our cruise that is. I can't believe it's all ready been two weeks since we boarded and a week, since we've been back. It was hands down one of the best vacations we've ever taken. I wish I could afford to go every year! Really the Grand Cayman day was my least favorite day just because of the stress and chaos! And, yes they did use their cell phones A LOT! LOL

I sure would like to know what happened to those 5 other people that were supposed to be with us that day.

I still need to get my waterproof camera pictures developed.

It was nice meeting you and your girlfriend! I wish you a lot of luck in finishing up your grad school studies.

Kaylee

Where on earth was the South terminal?? My Mother was one of the "no shows" by no fault of hers. We were on the Radiance tender for nearly 40 minutes waiting for the Jewel tender to unload and reload LUGGAGE??? We quickly walked to the dive shop we had booked for the rest of the family and called NativeWays to let them know we had missed them and why. They apologized, but the tour had already departed. I have never had Terrible Tender Troubles like this before. I'm sorry they departed late for all that made it. Mom went with us on the dive/snorkel combo with Divers Down and had a great time (she really didn't want to get wet). She sat on the boat and one of the divers brought up a large calm ray for me to hold and her to look at. It was an experience of a lifetime and thanks to Divers Down for saving the day.

The south terminal was where the Carnival ship was tendering into, it was about a block, block and a half down from the entrance to the north terminal. Native way also had a guy up at the north terminal with a sign looking for people, as we had to pick him up infront of there on the way to the other dock to go to Sting Ray City.

I didn't realize there was more than one pier in Cayman. Does anyone know what pier the RCI Mariner goes to? My reservations from Nativeway just state to look for the Nativeway person at the pier. Do I have to look for them at any pier in particular?

There was one at each pier. The gates for each of the piers/terminals are only about a block apart. We went down to the South terminal to find the main guy, because we asked one of the other tour operators standing around the North terminal where to find Nativeway, the guy called the Native way guy to tell him we were on our way down there and told us where to find them. We didn't see the Nativeway guy at the North Termanial when we asked this other tour operator, we had gotten off the ship early to do some shopping before our tour so we were early. Once they got people together under the clock in the shopping plaza behind the South terminal and got us in the van they headed back to the North pier to pick up the guy they had waiting there. The guy we picked up had a sign for Nativeway. So if you can't find the specific tour you are looking for just ask one of the other tour operators if they have seen them, they all seem to know who runs which tours. Good luck :)

Archived