Flight, customs and immigration questions.

Olympic1010

My family and I will fly from Europe by transit in Miami to San Juan (Change airplane in Miami).

I would like to know if we need to collect our luggage and go true customs in Miami, or will our luggage be transported direct to San Juan and we go true Puerto Rico customs?

My reason for asking is that we may have limited time in Miami for both immigration and handling our luggage?

Time in Miami will be 2.5 hours.

Our ticket is bought with American Airliners from London to Miami, changing airplane in Miami to San Juan, also with American Airlines. The ticket is purchased as one ticket with transit.

I prefer answer from persons that knows, not from those who think they know, or guessing.

Thank you for answer

We are cruising with Adventure of the Seas 24. March.

My family and I will fly from Europe by transit in Miami to San Juan (Change airplane in Miami).

I would like to know if we need to collect our luggage and go true customs in Miami, or will our luggage be transported direct to San Juan and we go true Puerto Rico customs?

My reason for asking is that we may have limited time in Miami for both immigration and handling our luggage?

Time in Miami will be 2.5 hours.

Our ticket is bought with American Airliners from London to Miami, changing airplane in Miami to San Juan, also with American Airlines. The ticket is purchased as one ticket with transit.

I prefer answer from persons that knows, not from those who think they know, or guessing.

Thank you for answer

We are cruising with Adventure of the Seas 24. March.

You always clear US Customs and Immigration at your first US Airport regardless if you are connecting to a US domestic flight or another international flight. This is different from how it works in Europe as well as the most of the rest of the world.

At Miami, you will (1) clear immigrations, (2) claim your baggage, (3) clear customs, (4) recheck your bags (generally they will already be tagged so you just give them back at an express counter), and (5) clear TSA security to board your flight.

Two had a half hours is enough but - depending on lines - can be close. You can help yourself by (1) making sure your bags are tagged all the way to San Juan, (2) making sure you have all your boarding passes, (3) having no food or other agricultural products (this will earn you an extra inspection), (4) having your documents (visas, ETA, etc.) in good order, (5) having nothing to declare, and (6) being well prepared for the TSA checkpoint.

Good luck, enjoy your cruise.

Edited by dwgreenlee
typo