EBTA or WBTA Preference?

DCLCrazy

Does anyone who’s sailed the TA before have a preference of EB vs WB? Is the sailing smoother one way vs the other? Why is it your preference? I’m a little concerned with seasickness our in the open ocean like that. I’ve been in 13 ft waves on the magic with no problem. Do they get bigger than that on a normal TA cruise? We were in a bad storm when we got hit with them. Thanks for the feedback

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

WB adds an hour per day as you go thru time zones, you you have 25 hour days. EB you lose an hour per day, so you are doing 23 hour days. We've done both directions a couple of times and had great weather on all. Going thru the Gulf Stream is often more rough than going across the Atlantic. Yes, there can be storms and such, but as usual they will take the ship away from bad weather. We had glassy smooth seas!

WB adds an hour per day as you go thru time zones' date=' you you have 25 hour days. EB you lose an hour per day, so you are doing 23 hour days. We've done both directions a couple of times and had great weather on all. Going thru the Gulf Stream is often more rough than going across the Atlantic. Yes, there can be storms and such, but as usual they will take the ship away from bad weather. We had glassy smooth seas![/quote']

That gives me hope that I won’t get seasick. :) I really want to visit Ponta Delgada which I believe is EBTA.

The ports during the crossing change from year to year.

Oh that’s a bummer. I’ve seen pictures of Ponta Delgada and they look so beautiful. Plus I would only have to fly one way. I can drive to Miami.

The TAs are great--there are typically special entertainers, activities, etc. As to transportation, price out doing air thru DCL as they are sometimes cheaper...but depending on your situation, there are also airlines that do very inexpensive one way flights. For example, our friend used Norwegian Air for $300, but it did include a plane change in Oslo (this flight was from MCO). The best deal I got was when I did both the EBTA and WBTA in the same year--I was able to buy a round trip plane ticket---Barcelona to MCO for the first cruise, MCO to Barcelona for the fall sailing....and then added Southwest flights from MCO to/from my home airport--great savings.

Is there any sort of public transportation from Miami to Orlando that would work for you? Or a one way car rental (drop the car at a location near Port Canaveral? I do realize that it is a 4 hour drive, but that's still in the "do-able" range.

The TAs are great--there are typically special entertainers' date=' activities, etc. As to transportation, price out doing air thru DCL as they are sometimes cheaper...but depending on your situation, there are also airlines that do very inexpensive one way flights. For example, our friend used Norwegian Air for $300, but it did include a plane change in Oslo (this flight was from MCO). The best deal I got was when I did both the EBTA and WBTA in the same year--I was able to buy a round trip plane ticket---Barcelona to MCO for the first cruise, MCO to Barcelona for the fall sailing....and then added Southwest flights from MCO to/from my home airport--great savings.

Is there any sort of public transportation from Miami to Orlando that would work for you? Or a one way car rental (drop the car at a location near Port Canaveral? I do realize that it is a 4 hour drive, but that's still in the "do-able" range.[/quote']

We are 30 minutes north of Tampa so I would probably rent a car to drive to Miami and then fly back to Tampa and have someone pick us up. It would be lovely if they left out of PC in 2019. I hate the Miami port. Their workers aren’t nearly as nice as the PC folks and neither is the port, itself.

The QM2 has regular liner service, but they use the North Atlantic run, if you are looking for a line which really focuses on TA.

I have done both and I prefer EB. I know that is different than many. The reason being when I arrive in Europe the jet lag is just impossible to deal with, and the changing of the clocks an hour (almost) each night makes it bearable. Arriving after flying just plain sucks.

It is much easier for me to adjust to the time change when I fly back to the states for some reason.

The QM2 run is only 7 days though, and runs almost continuously except in the winter. I am not sure the time length for a Disney crossing. I would not do the North Atlantic run in a cruise ship, but if they do a more Southerly route then you will probably be fine : )

The TAs are great--there are typically special entertainers' date=' activities, etc. As to transportation, price out doing air thru DCL as they are sometimes cheaper...but depending on your situation, there are also airlines that do very inexpensive one way flights. For example, our friend used Norwegian Air for $300, but it did include a plane change in Oslo (this flight was from MCO). The best deal I got was when I did both the EBTA and WBTA in the same year--I was able to buy a round trip plane ticket---Barcelona to MCO for the first cruise, MCO to Barcelona for the fall sailing....and then added Southwest flights from MCO to/from my home airport--great savings.

Is there any sort of public transportation from Miami to Orlando that would work for you? Or a one way car rental (drop the car at a location near Port Canaveral? I do realize that it is a 4 hour drive, but that's still in the "do-able" range.[/quote']

We're doing the WBTA Dover to New York in September and booked Norwegian for $499 one way total for the two of us.

We heard the westbound is preferred over the eastbound because the time adjustment is easier.

All I can say is that the seas vary. Before our first TA, we heard how rough the DCL crossing had been the previous year, and ours was totally smooth. Yes, the northern route will be colder and more likely to be rough than a southern route, but it basically depends on the weather.

All I can say is that the seas vary. Before our first TA' date=' we heard how rough the DCL crossing had been the previous year, and ours was totally smooth. Yes, the northern route will be colder and more likely to be rough than a southern route, but it basically depends on the weather.[/quote']

Yeah, I think we will do the more southern route. I hear crazy stories about the North Atlantic!

I have done 3 eastbound Transatlantics (2 on Disney) and 2 westbound Transatlantics. I choose the cruise by the itinerary, and my preference is to do additional travel in Europe before or after the cruise. The advantage of westbound (besides the extra hour as you cross time zones) is that you arrive home without jet lag. However, the disadvantage is that you have jet lag when you get to Europe. The situation is reversed for the eastbound. DCL's westbound cruises have been shorter cruises than the eastbound in recent years, and I prefer longer cruises.