M S C OPERA 2/11/06 who else??

msbptg

Would love to meet others on this cruise. I still have no ideas about shore excursions. The documentation finally came with an insert that says they will be available when we board. We don't have a cabin number assigned and I have no "cruise critic" gear. How will we know each other??? Maureen

LOOK FOR THE BEACH CHAIR BUY THE POOL, THAT,LL BE ME AND MY WIFE hopefully whoever meets up with us will also take cab rides to the beaches we plan to visit(casa del mar)..msb

Hubby and I just booked this cruise. We are sailing with my mother and her friend. I was on Lirica last April and really enjoyed it, that's why I'm going back (and the good prices don't hurt).

If anyone would like to set up a Meet and Greet, have at it. We are driving down to the port, so we'll probably be there pretty early.

I'm excited now, I have a cruise booked for less than 3 weeks :)

We are also driving to the port from our Florida home in Sebastian. Where do you park your car? We are planning on parking at PARK N FLY near the port. They charge $9 per day ($8 AAA) and take you and pick you up by van right at the pier. It sounds reasonable and convenient. Do you think this is the way to do it?

We are also driving to the port from our Florida home in Sebastian. Where do you park your car? We are planning on parking at PARK N FLY near the port. They charge $9 per day ($8 AAA) and take you and pick you up by van right at the pier. It sounds reasonable and convenient. Do you think this is the way to do it?

unless you feel comfortable leaving your car somewhere near the port in ft. lauderdale, and than taking a cab, the 8 bucks sounds good too me..

msbptg,

I notice that you always sign off with "huh". Is that your name? What do I call out when I see someone in their own lounge chair? Hey there, good looking Italian guy???? By what time do you expect to be lounging by the pool? We are aiming to be on board by 2PM.

As for when to plan a formal Meet and Greet, it's kind of hard without knowing MSC's scheduled events or the public areas that would be available at any given time. That's why I'm thinking that if we start looking for each other as soon as we get on board, or wear ribbons, it'll be easier.

I'm open to suggestions, Millie

countessP..I just looked at my profile and now no what you where trying to say to me with the word "huh" in my signiture..I have no idea how that got there and no idea how my b-day became dec 1..its feb 7th..the big 50..I,m going to attempt to change my profile..soon..

For the extra $2 ($1 if you don't have AAA) a day, I would rather park at the pier. It is a lot more convenient and we are traveling with my elderly mother. The parking garage is very close, you can see it from the ship. It is only about a 2-3 minute walk. We usually drop off me and the luggage and then my husband goes to park the car. When he gets back, he joins me in line.

Looking forward to meeting everyone onboard.

Sadly, I will not be on this cruise, but, I thought perhaps I might suggest a place to meet. When you get on the ship, right up the steps is a coffee bar. Since everyone will know where the middle of the ship is (that should be where you should come in at) it might be easy to remember and find! I am hoping to be on the Opera again in March. No plans made yet. If any of you happen to see Benny the waiter in L'Apredo (sp?) please tell him Hi from Terri and Lauren and to please email us! I hope he is still on the ship. He is the best waiter! You all have a wonderful time/gathering!

sounds like the best [and only one ] idea yet.

I appreciate the suggestion of the coffee bar, however, I don't think coffee is what most of us will be interested in drinking :) I just looked at a deck plan for the Opera and the Cotton Club is right next to the coffee bar, how about that?

What we have done, in the past, is meet somewhere inside the ship (where it's easier to find each other) and then move the party up to the Lido deck. Next thing is to come up with a time, I propose around 2:30 pm. This will give us at least an hour, prior to the muster drill, to meet each other. After the muster drill, things get a little crazy and people with first dining will be rushed.

These are just my suggestions, if anyone has other options, I'm listening.

I appreciate the suggestion of the coffee bar, however, I don't think coffee is what most of us will be interested in drinking :) I just looked at a deck plan for the Opera and the Cotton Club is right next to the coffee bar, how about that?

What we have done, in the past, is meet somewhere inside the ship (where it's easier to find each other) and then move the party up to the Lido deck. Next thing is to come up with a time, I propose around 2:30 pm. This will give us at least an hour, prior to the muster drill, to meet each other. After the muster drill, things get a little crazy and people with first dining will be rushed.

besides meeting my wife and I buy the pool, I think thats a good idea..All in favor meeting in the cotton club on this thread, please start to post...msb

Funny you should say that, I had planned to say OR the Cotton Club. They are right around the corner from one another so either one would work out well.

.....and Canadians from near Toronto. It's Sheila's 50th in early March (her choice for the Crusie) and the only time that we can get away is for the 2/11 journey. I'm a tad concerned about some of the negative reviews but feeling better about the fun-sounding group that is forming for this sail. We, too enjoy snorkeling and will look forward to joining in on cab rides to the nice spots.

Lots of questions, though so I'm hoping that you'll be patient.

As we are usually beach resort people, I'm used to setting up shop on the beach with my soft-sided cooler full of cold ones. Is this practice allowed on any of the decks? Do they sell beer at the duty free?

From some of the entries I've seen on this board it would seem that they're not too concerned about bringing your own alcohol on board. I've also read that the duty free folks don't seem to mind if you take your purchases back to your cabin. And then again, I saw an entry that mentioned that you could take your own wine to the dining room without a corkage fee. Is this all really true?

The issue regarding tipping is also confusing; I would appreciate some advice on whom, what and when I should be expected to tip.

Suggest you call your (our) group the "Deck Chairs" since our friend msbptg started this thread. I would like to nominate him as the defacto Prime Minister. Anyone who brings his own chair certainly deserves it.

We're excited about our adventure!

Best regards,

Sheila and Stephen.

Hey Duke,

I know exactly the "business" you are attending on the cruise (been there, done that). I am originally from Methuen, MA, not to far from Beverly. If you want to give me an e-mail address, I can send you an e-mail about TA stuff (don't wish to bore the public forum).

When a day and time has been set-up for the get-together (or has it been determined to be by the pool), post here for all to see.

I was able to get into a section on the MSC site for TA's. (accidentally) -- It showed a link to the shore excursions but you had to log on. Do you know any of the excursions they will be offering? Thought since you are a TA you might have that info. Since we booked only yesterday, we will not be receiving anything prior to arrival. Do you know which pier Opera sails from? I see there are numerous piers at Port Everglades. :confused:

besides meeting my wife and I buy the pool, I think thats a good idea..All in favor meeting in the cotton club on this thread, please start to post...msb

That sounds good to us, that is if you don't mind a couple of 60+ (but fun-loving) old folks joining you. What time do they usually start boarding?

.....and Canadians from near Toronto. It's Sheila's 50th in early March (her choice for the Crusie) and the only time that we can get away is for the 2/11 journey. I'm a tad concerned about some of the negative reviews but feeling better about the fun-sounding group that is forming for this sail. We, too enjoy snorkeling and will look forward to joining in on cab rides to the nice spots.

As we are usually beach resort people, I'm used to setting up shop on the beach with my soft-sided cooler full of cold ones. Is this practice allowed on any of the decks? Do they sell beer at the duty free?

From some of the entries I've seen on this board it would seem that they're not too concerned about bringing your own alcohol on board. I've also read that the duty free folks don't seem to mind if you take your purchases back to your cabin. And then again, I saw an entry that mentioned that you could take your own wine to the dining room without a corkage fee. Is this all really true?

The issue regarding tipping is also confusing; I would appreciate some advice on whom, what and when I should be expected to tip.

Suggest you call your (our) group the "Deck Chairs" since our friend msbptg started this thread. I would like to nominate him as the defacto Prime Minister. Anyone who brings his own chair certainly deserves it.

Best regards,

Sheila and Stephen.

I accept your invatation to become prime minister..all of your questions can be answered if you browse thru some of the opera threads that have been already posted..I laughed at the name "deck chairs" and think its a great idea..where going to try to meet up in the cotton club around 2:30 3 pm on the first day of sailing..meet you on board!!!!!!!

I accept your invatation to become prime minister..all of your questions can be answered if you browse thru some of the opera threads that have been already posted..I laughed at the name "deck chairs" and think its a great idea..where going to try to meet up in the cotton club around 2:30 3 pm on the first day of sailing..meet you on board!!!!!!!

You have our vote for PM

As we are usually beach resort people, I'm used to setting up shop on the beach with my soft-sided cooler full of cold ones. Is this practice allowed on any of the decks? Do they sell beer at the duty free? From some of the entries I've seen on this board it would seem that they're not too concerned about bringing your own alcohol on board. I've also read that the duty free folks don't seem to mind if you take your purchases back to your cabin. And then again, I saw an entry that mentioned that you could take your own wine to the dining room without a corkage fee. Is this all really true?

Best regards,

Sheila and Stephen.

To save you some time, searching through all of the Opera threads, I will try and answer your questions, based on my limited experience with MSC.

1. I have never seen anyone bring a cooler onto the pool deck. You could probably bring some beers onboard in your checked luggage, however, I wouldn't suggest bringing it in your carrry-on. There will be a refrigerator in your cabin, that you can have emptied, to keep your beers cold. I didn't see any beer for sale in the duty free shop.

2. When I sailed the Lirica last spring, our tablemates at dinner brought a bottle of their own wine to dinner each evening and had it served. They were never charged a corkage fee, however, I can't guarantee that hasn't changed.

3. Tips - If what I'm reading is true, that the waiters and cabins stewards are being paid a salary (and quite a nice one, at that), then I don't mind giving my $12 a day to MSC to help offset the cost of their salaries. If you don't wish to leave the $12 a day on your account, you should plan on tipping your cabin steward (approx $50 for the week for your cabin), your waiter about the same and your ass't waiter about $25-30 for the week for the two of you. The rest of the people, Maitre'd, Head Waiter. etc, would be at your discretion. If you do your own tipping, it is usually done on the last night of the cruise.

I love the idea of the name "Deck Chairs" and I second the nomination of msbptg for PM. This seems like it's going to be a very fun group, and with such great people to share a cruise with, how could it possibly be anything but wonderful :)

That sounds good to us, that is if you don't mind a couple of 60+ (but fun-loving) old folks joining you. What time do they usually start boarding?

They will usually let you start boarding around noon time. I wouldn't be overly concerned about your age, my mom (aged 74) and her friend (aged 79) will be joining us. Like you, they are very fun-loving.

I was able to get into a section on the MSC site for TA's. (accidentally) -- It showed a link to the shore excursions but you had to log on. Do you know any of the excursions they will be offering? Thought since you are a TA you might have that info. Since we booked only yesterday, we will not be receiving anything prior to arrival. Do you know which pier Opera sails from? I see there are numerous piers at Port Everglades. :confused:

When we sailed last year, on the Lirica, we boarded directly across from the Princess dock. Don't know if it will be the same this year.

I tried to copy and paste the list of excursions to the message boards, but it is a PDF file. I do have it downloaded, so if you want to give me an e-mail address, I can send it to you as an attachement. Sorry, I can't provide the link to it, as it is a TA only section of the MSC website.

Great name. We don't get in to Ft Lauderdale until 1:55 so probably won't be on board by 2:30. Will check out the Cotton Club whenever. Look forward to meeting everyone. Still looking for a list of shore excursions. Especially interested in SAn Juan. Was there on Carnival in October and don't want to do another Old San Juan tour and we don't dock until afternoon. Anyway, a week from today we'll all be at sea!!!! Maureen

Great name. We don't get in to Ft Lauderdale until 1:55 so probably won't be on board by 2:30. Will check out the Cotton Club whenever. Look forward to meeting everyone. Still looking for a list of shore excursions. Especially interested in SAn Juan. Was there on Carnival in October and don't want to do another Old San Juan tour and we don't dock until afternoon. Anyway, a week from today we'll all be at sea!!!! Maureen

If you would like to have a list of excursions, just give me your e-mail address and I will send it to you. I have downloaded it from the TA side of the MSC website, but it is an Acrobat Reader file, so I cannot copy and paste it here.

When we sailed last year, on the Lirica, we boarded directly across from the Princess dock. Don't know if it will be the same this year.

I tried to copy and paste the list of excursions to the message boards, but it is a PDF file. I do have it downloaded, so if you want to give me an e-mail address, I can send it to you as an attachement. Sorry, I can't provide the link to it, as it is a TA only section of the MSC website.

Yes, I realize only TA's can access the site. It would be great if you would email me the Excursion info. My email address is bfwraw@aol.com. Thanks also for the pier info.

We look foward to meeting everyone at the Cotton Club. On a previous cruise we set up a similar meeting in a public area. When we arrived we found there were many groups planning to meet in the same area and we had to do some detective work to find the right group. One of the guys said to look for him. He had a long pony tail. My gosh, didn't realize how many men with long pony tails there were! Come to find out, he didn't even make it because he boarded too late. Oh well, met a lot of nice guys (and 1 old grumpy one) with pony tails. Perhaps we need some way to recognize our group.

sounds like we'll have several older young uns we are also 60+. since we dont have to many ideas on how to recognise each other maybe our PM or someone coud make a table sign we have also met groups with a certin colored ribbon, or mardi graw beads,one group had helium baloons but they are a challenge to get on board especialy if its windy. The cotton club sounds good to us cant wait to be there and meet you all.

Archived