M S C OPERA 2/11/06 who else??

msbptg

We look foward to meeting everyone at the Cotton Club. On a previous cruise we set up a similar meeting in a public area. When we arrived we found there were many groups planning to meet in the same area and we had to do some detective work to find the right group. One of the guys said to look for him. He had a long pony tail. My gosh, didn't realize how many men with long pony tails there were! Come to find out, he didn't even make it because he boarded too late. Oh well, met a lot of nice guys (and 1 old grumpy one) with pony tails. Perhaps we need some way to recognize our group.

I don't think we'll have much trouble finding each other. The ship is considerably smaller than most, and from what's being said, not heavily booked. If all else fails, we'll look for our Prime Minister wearing his Celebrity Cruise Critic pin :)

Beverly, thanks for the Shore Excursion listing. It's really helpful and gives a good idea of what's available in the Dominican Republic. We've been to St. M and SJ several times, but not the Dominican.

If you would like to have a list of excursions, just give me your e-mail address and I will send it to you. I have downloaded it from the TA side of the MSC website, but it is an Acrobat Reader file, so I cannot copy and paste it here.

Thanks, so much, Beverly for your feedback on our questions. I, too would enjoy receiving the excursion list at

stephen.lewis@m-real.ca

Also, would it be advisable for us to bring our own snorkel stuff?

Bestest regards,

Sheila & Stephen

Great name. We don't get in to Ft Lauderdale until 1:55 so probably won't be on board by 2:30. Will check out the Cotton Club whenever. Look forward to meeting everyone. Still looking for a list of shore excursions. Especially interested in SAn Juan. Was there on Carnival in October and don't want to do another Old San Juan tour and we don't dock until afternoon. Anyway, a week from today we'll all be at sea!!!! Maureen

Not to worry :) If you're scheduled to arrive in FLL at 1:55 pm, then you'll probably get in around 1:30-1:45 (airlines always build in extra time, that way they won't be late). It's a quick cab ride to the pier and at that time the lines to register should be extremely short (even shorter if there aren't oo many passengers). You probably won't make 2:30, but I imagine we'll be hanging around for awhile. If we decide to move the party, we'll leave you a note in the Cotton Club, telling you where we have gone.

does anyone have an idea as to what a cab might cost to the pier? said we would never take another cab in ft lauderdale but may have to catch one back from pier because of flight times. really bad experience and cab co and cab comission really dont care. just like to have ducks in a row so ill know what to expect. Thanks Carol

Hi fellow cruisers,

Haven't posted in a while, which is just fine since I see you all have taken care of everything. Cotton Club between 2:30 and 3PM. David and Millie will be there! Don't know what I'll be wearing, but I'm pretty sure, barring kids, that I will be the shortest person there, not quite 5', Latina, with a New York accent! I'll be with a Hemingway look alike, or so he's often told!

I'm just hoping the weather is good enough to hang out by the pools. We've been having awfully cool weather here in Ft. Lauderdale lately, and I don't think it's going to warm up too much by next week. Yeah!!!! Just 1 week away! Anyway, bring your sweaters just in case.

We got our crusie docs and haven't been assigned a room. Hope that means that we might be upgraded, but frankly, we spend so little time in the room that I'm not concerned. I'll certainly ask, just in case.

Well, I've got a busy week, so may not check in again, until 2:30 at the Cotton Club. Look forward to seeing you all then!

Millie

Hello CCer's,

I will be sailing with all of you fun loving people next week and look forward to joining you in the Cotton Club. This is my first MSC cruise. I am looking forward to trying a different line and like a lot of you, the price was a strong selling point. I will be coming with my friend, who I met through Cruise Critic on the Explorer of the Seas. I have my fingers crossed that we will get to see the migrating humpbacks in La Romana. Apparently, they are there from January to March. Does anyone know if the cruiseline has food available on their "private" island? Well, it's time to start packing!!! See you all on Saturday.

Denise

To save you some time, searching through all of the Opera threads, I will try and answer your questions, based on my limited experience with MSC.

1. I have never seen anyone bring a cooler onto the pool deck. You could probably bring some beers onboard in your checked luggage, however, I wouldn't suggest bringing it in your carrry-on. There will be a refrigerator in your cabin, that you can have emptied, to keep your beers cold. I didn't see any beer for sale in the duty free shop.

2. When I sailed the Lirica last spring, our tablemates at dinner brought a bottle of their own wine to dinner each evening and had it served. They were never charged a corkage fee, however, I can't guarantee that hasn't changed.

3. Tips - If what I'm reading is true, that the waiters and cabins stewards are being paid a salary (and quite a nice one, at that), then I don't mind giving my $12 a day to MSC to help offset the cost of their salaries. If you don't wish to leave the $12 a day on your account, you should plan on tipping your cabin steward (approx $50 for the week for your cabin), your waiter about the same and your ass't waiter about $25-30 for the week for the two of you. The rest of the people, Maitre'd, Head Waiter. etc, would be at your discretion. If you do your own tipping, it is usually done on the last night of the cruise.

I love the idea of the name "Deck Chairs" and I second the nomination of msbptg for PM. This seems like it's going to be a very fun group, and with such great people to share a cruise with, how could it possibly be anything but wonderful :)

Thanks, so much, Beverly for your feedback on our questions. I, too would enjoy receiving the excursion list at

stephen.lewis@m-real.ca

Also, would it be advisable for us to bring our own snorkel stuff?

Bestest regards,

Sheila & Stephen

The Whale Watching is at Cayo Levantado, not La Romana. Make sure you book the excursion if you like observing wildlife, it was incredible. We saw lots of whales and they were very active. From what I've read, February is the peak of the calving season so you should see lots of whale activity too. The private island is wonderful and the cruise line provides all the tenders over and back as well as a buffet lunch. You will have time after whale watching to still visit Cayo Levantado and get in some swimming/sunning.

-yergie

Hello CCer's,

I will be sailing with all of you fun loving people next week and look forward to joining you in the Cotton Club. This is my first MSC cruise. I am looking forward to trying a different line and like a lot of you, the price was a strong selling point. I will be coming with my friend, who I met through Cruise Critic on the Explorer of the Seas. I have my fingers crossed that we will get to see the migrating humpbacks in La Romana. Apparently, they are there from January to March. Does anyone know if the cruiseline has food available on their "private" island? Well, it's time to start packing!!! See you all on Saturday.

Denise

THE NEWLY APPOINTED PRIME MINISTER AND HIS WIFE LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU IN THE COTTON CLUB AROUND 2:30-3PM

Hi fellow cruisers,

Haven't posted in a while, which is just fine since I see you all have taken care of everything. Cotton Club between 2:30 and 3PM. David and Millie will be there! Don't know what I'll be wearing, but I'm pretty sure, barring kids, that I will be the shortest person there, not quite 5', Latina, with a New York accent! I'll be with a Hemingway look alike, or so he's often told!

I'm just hoping the weather is good enough to hang out by the pools. We've been having awfully cool weather here in Ft. Lauderdale lately, and I don't think it's going to warm up too much by next week. Yeah!!!! Just 1 week away! Anyway, bring your sweaters just in case.

We got our crusie docs and haven't been assigned a room. Hope that means that we might be upgraded, but frankly, we spend so little time in the room that I'm not concerned. I'll certainly ask, just in case.

Well, I've got a busy week, so may not check in again, until 2:30 at the Cotton Club. Look forward to seeing you all then!

Millie

MSB JUST REACHES CLOSE TO 5'6" LOL

Hi fellow cruisers,

Millie

MSB JUST REACHES CLOSE TO 5'6" LOL

So what else is there to do in Caya Levantado. I have to admit, I'm tempted to do the whale watching. Do we have to do it through the cruise ship. Aren't there any local tour operators?

Also, I asked on the general MSC board but got no answer.....should I bring my own wine? Do they allow you to bring liquor onto the ship? If there is no corkage fee, I just assume bring several bottles with me and bring them into the dining room each evening. Anyone know?

Millie

The cabins do have hair dryers. Also, last time I sailed on MSC (Lirica in April 2005) our tablemates brought a bottle of wine to dinner each evening and our waiter opened and served it without a corkage fee. I don't know if they've started charging a corkage fee, even if they do, it's got to be cheaper than buying a bottle of wine.

So what else is there to do in Caya Levantado. I have to admit, I'm tempted to do the whale watching. Do we have to do it through the cruise ship. Aren't there any local tour operators?

Also, I asked on the general MSC board but got no answer.....should I bring my own wine? Do they allow you to bring liquor onto the ship? If there is no corkage fee, I just assume bring several bottles with me and bring them into the dining room each evening. Anyone know?

Millie

you can do all your excursions on your own or with a fellow cruise mate...just ask the cab driver to take you to a local whale operator and enjoy!!

I contacted a tour operator about booking a tour on my own and was informed that MSC had reserved all of the whale watching boats for the day and no private tours could be booked on those days.

So I booked through the boat and the whales were amazing.

-yergie

Heard back from Kim Bedall she says their boats arent allowed in levantado on the day the ship is in. Sounds like politics to me as she is one of the best equiped in the area. Thanks to all for the taxi info. See ya Sat at 2:30 Cotton Club here we come. Later Carol

Knew there was something else just saw on a couple of sights that msc opera is ofering a 5 day cruise from San Juan starting on 2/13 back to Ft Lauderdale. Must have a lot of cabins left as their asking less than $200 inside.By the time we get to S J we can have the crew trained LOL so shouldnt make a diffrence. Heres to the DECK CHAIRS and our PM. Time to practice elbo excercises for our toasts on the cruise so heres to all of you. good night. Carol

Archived