age restrictions on RCI kids clubs?

olivian

My family of 4 has never cruised before and we're very excited about our upcoming cruise this Friday, 12/16 on the Majesty. I have a question about the age restrictions in the kids/teens program, and would appreciate any help you can provide.

My daughter is 11 (12 in July) and is in middle school in 6th grade. She is quite mature for her age and many of her classmates are already 12. According to RCI info, the age designations for their youth programs are 9-11 and 12-14.

She would like to be with the older group, which consists of her peers (and 14 year old brother), instead of the younger, elementary school aged kids. I agree with her, but I've been told that they are very strict about keeping kids with their proper age groups. Does anyone know? Thanks so much! :)

They sometimes will let kids move up to the older group, but not always. Don't assume that they will do this, but you can always ask if they will. Usually if they do the move, it is after they've observed them for a day in the group their supposed to be in.

I would be more inclined to count on them not doing it than doing it. It's hard to decide when to make the exception. There will be lots of kids, her age, mature and in middle school for her to hang out with. Most kids 11 are not in middle school as so many school districts throughout the country start middle school in the 6th grade. I wouldn't worry to much about it, she will be fine. NMNita

We had something like this with our two girls. They let the younger one move up with her sister for our sailing, but this was years ago when it happened. I know they told us they do not always do this but would let her this time. There is a chance they could aslo do this with your children. Cant hurt to ask, the most that can happen is them say no.

We recently sailed on Majesty (Nov.). There were very few children on this cruise. Our 5 yr. old grandson was the only child who was in the program on Coco Cay! He LOVED every minute of it, BTW. If there are not too many kids on your sailing they MAY be more inclined to let your 11 yr. old move up to the older group. Of course, no guarantees. Have a great time!!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;12;14;21;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

Until I'm Finished With Law School:D

Western Caribbean on the Rhapsody of the Seas 12/18/05

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2005;12;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0600

I can think of no more relaxing and rewarding way to unwind from the end of law school than a caribbean cruise. Enjoy.

I'm 13 yrs out of law school and only discovered caribbean cruises 5 years ago--you're way ahead of the game.

Share your concern with the Adventure Ocean staff. If the cruise doesn't have a lot of kids in either of those two ae groups they probably will be combined. It might not take a day for evaluation. Go to the meet and greet then check back in in an hour or so. They probably won't mind, since it's a short cruise.

I can think of no more relaxing and rewarding way to unwind from the end of law school than a caribbean cruise. Enjoy.

I'm 13 yrs out of law school and only discovered caribbean cruises 5 years ago--you're way ahead of the game.

Are you looking for any first year associates? I'm willing to relocate. Since I'm taking the Arkansas bar in February, I could take another state's bar in July.

Discovered cruising during undergrad when I was working 50 to 60 plus hours a week plus going to school full time at night and on the weekends.

We were on the Mariner this past President's Week (late Feb) and our daughter's birthday is in March. She was 3 weeks shy of 12 (6th grade/middle school) and asked to be moved up. They told us she would have to attend 3 sessions in the 9-11 group to be evaluated before they would consider moving her up. She ended up making friends who were also in the 6th grade, but weren't yet 12, so she never went to the 12-14 group. Of course, she didn't go to many of the 9-11 sessions either. She and her friends met in the Cafe Promenade, at the pool, etc. From my understanding, that's what a lot of the older kids do. Tell your daughter to be sure to go to the first couple of session so she can make friends!

Have a wonderful trip!

I'm sixteen, and on one of my cruises (Mariner, Oct. 2004) they let several kids move up from the 12-14 age group to the 15-17 age group. I was fifteen at the time, but I knew all of the kids that moved up. One of my friends, who was 14, had a brother who was 13, but he looked older, and when they all asked if they could move up, they didn't even notice that he was only 13 (he looked a lot older). Plus, my friend's parents had told her that she had to stay with her brother, so even if they had asked, I think they would have let him stay.

The kids programs are a great way to meet people. I have made some really close friends. Definitely participate!

-Lauren

Archived