Any updated DIY snorkeling at The Split?

Havering Bob

Hello all -- first let me thank everyone who is so generous with their time on this forum. I really rely on the info that I get here before we go on a cruise. Part of the fun for me is obsessively researching and planning our trips. We are coming into Belize City on Carnival Splendor in January 2018. We have 11 in our party, and we love to snorkel (we have our own gear) which means that excursions can get really expensive. I am always looking for less expensive or DIY options. I was reading about taking the water taxi to Caye Caulker and snorkeling at The Split, but the last posting was about five years ago.

Has anyone gone there more recently? Is the water traffic awful? I really wonder how much I would be saving, given the price of the water taxi. I am thinking of doing Goff's Caye, but am worried about being shoulder-to-shoulder with other people. Anyone have thoughts? Thanks again!!

I am tagging onto your thread, we will be there Jan 3 Carnival, and thinking about going to Caye Caulker also but maybe thru coralbreeze tours. I'm worried about not being able to get on taxi. So can anyone say anything about the coralbreeze's boat? Also any recommendation for Caye Caulker, restaurant etc. how much for a golf cart, is it worth it? Besides the split, is there anywhere else that is a beachy area maybe can get in water or snorkel at?Thanks