Where to dive Southern Caribbean?

aggiejeff

Here is the run down as far as my opinion goes:

San Juan, you won't be diving here unless you are staying on the island. The good diving is several hours drive from San Juan.

St. Thomas has decent diving. Boat dive with Chris Sawyer or Admiralty dive. Shore dive at Coki beach with http://www.cokidive.com

St. Maarten - skip this island for diving unless your really have to get wet.

I haven't done St. Lucia, but from what I have heard, I'd really like to try.

Haven't heard much about Barbados, but I don't remember anything good.

Haven't heard much about Antigua, which doesn't encourage me.

Over all, there are better islands if diving is a major focus of your trip, but for the casual, once-a-year cruise diver, St. Thomas and St. Lucia would be my choices out of this lot.

I would vote for Barbados and St lucia. I gone diving at all those stops except for Antugia. St Maarten has some nice reef dives, but the surface conditions are usually pretty rough since they are on the Atlantic side. Same with St Thomas. Barbados has some really good wrecks and nice reefs. St Lucia has the best reef system I have seen in the caribbean. San Juan, have never heard anything good about diving there.

I would vote for Barbados and St lucia. I gone diving at all those stops except for Antugia. St Maarten has some nice reef dives, but the surface conditions are usually pretty rough since they are on the Atlantic side. Same with St Thomas. Barbados has some really good wrecks and nice reefs. St Lucia has the best reef system I have seen in the caribbean. San Juan, have never heard anything good about diving there.

Mike, who did you use to dive with in Barbados. Has anyone dove in dominica? We are from pgh to mike!!!

Bob

AggieJeff, we have dove in all the locations you mentioned while on a cruise ship. In San Juan we arrived a day before the cruise and rented a car, then drove 2 hours to the other side of the island (La Paguera) and spent the night. Dove the next morning with Angel at http://www.pargueradivers.com. It was great and his operation is top notch. In Barbados we've used several dive operators, but our favorite is http://www.divehightide.com. They will come pick you up at the cruise pier if you email them ahead of time. The diving here is also very good -- last time some biologists were with us doing turtle tagging so we saw several sea turtles. Ditto bruce-r regarding Chris Sawyer in St. Thomas. We love diving with them, although St. Thomas is not a premier dive locale. If you have time in port take the ferry to St. John and snorkel Leinster Bay. We've seen large Tarpin, Eagle Rays, nurse sharks and so much more there just snorkeling! St. Lucia is nice diving, but when we dove there they required a check out dive which wasted time and was no fun. They said that was standard procedure, although we have heard from others that this may not be the case. Forget about Antigua -- yes the diving is beautiful -- clear water, lots of fish, great coral -- but the operators are all poor. Better to snorkel in Antigua. St. Martin is also good diving, but it's deep and the water is usually rough (we dove here 4+ times and had rough water every time). However the shopping is great in St. Martin!! If you have to pick just one from your list I'd recommend Chris Sawyer in St. Thomas -- just because they are so customer-friendly and the diving is easy. We may try St. Lucia again, but our favorite shore excursion there is the catamaran to the Pitons -- free rum punch, decent snorkeling (squid, lots of fish) and a tour of the volcano and/or plantation can't be beat.

Divecruiser -- we have dove Dominica and it is our FAVORITE place to dive in the caribbean (and we've dove about everywhere but the Grenedines.) By all means be sure to dive there with Nature Island Divers (they will pick you up at the cruise pier) if you have time. This is a MUST dive location.

Thanks all. I'm actually staying a few extra days in Puerto Rico on the east side of the island by playa de fajardo. Where would you have to you in PR for good diving?
A search on the D2D message board on scubadiving.com came up with some info. If you don't find anything to help you there, try posting the question on the main board there.

I wish I could provide you with some personal recommendations about diving there, but PR is still on my "haven't dived there yet" list.

Hope this helps.

Bruce

Archived