Xpedition - Just returned from 12/4/05 sailing

SandyR5

Hi All

Only 5 weeks to the trip now so we are starting to get our heads round some serious planning.I am sure I have read some where on the board that you can leave excess luggage, ie suitable for wearing in Quito only, at the hotel, we do intend to travel light. Please can someone confirm if this so and and is there a charge or any problems associated with doing this?

One more question while I am thinking about it what are the books like for bird identification etc. on the ship are they good or would I be better taking my own?

Thanks Michael

YES, you can leave luggage at the JW without charge. It made traveling much easier and they were quite nice about it. Just let them know and take your luggage to be checked the night before (you're probably leaving very early the next morning and will put all of your luggage except carry-on in the hallway for pick and transfer. You will next see your bags onboard!. Be sure to keep what you need in your room...it's embarrassing to be out in the hallway hoping your bag is still there to retrieve something important :) Didn't use bird books onboard since the natualists were so knowledgeable in pointing out everything in sight. Maybe someone else can help with that question. Enjoy - you're embarking on the trip of a lifetime.

Michael, Just take the luggage you want to leave down to the bellman. His station is just to the left of the main entrance as you walk into the hotel from outside. You have time the morning you leave to do it because it takes less than a minute and you have to go that way anyway. The Biblioteca is right next door and that's where you pick up your tickets/boarding passes for your Quito/Baltra flight. There is no charge for the service although I gave the bellman a tip when I picked up the bag on return.

I didn't use any books for identifying birds either. As Sheila mentioned, the naturalists knew all the birds and would tell you before you could possibly look it up. We did have one lady who was an avid "birder". She had binoculars and pointed out some birds (identifying them without using a book) before the naturalists.

Dave

Archived