Belize on the cheap

yoshi404

Hi all!

Cruising on the NCL getaway on Dec 24th and this is pretty much the highest I've ever paid for any cruise (I guess because of the season) but I've had a rough year and it was a gift to myself. I really just want to eat, sleep, read, drink and repeat all 7 days! Didn't even plan to get off the ship at Roatan and Belize at all, but reading these forums have got me all excited about these ports so I just might depending on costs.

My question is what are some affordable things to do in Belize. Having spent so much on the cruise itself, I'm looking for cheap as in ~ $20 to $30. I'm not really interested in water activities like snorkeling, beaches, etc. I'd prefer cultural activities, like maybe a tour? I think I saw someone mention a horse drawn tour of the city.

Any other cheapo tips or ideas? :)

Doesn't the Getaway dock on Harvest Caye for your cruise? It did on the one we just returned from as well as last year.

I'm not a huge fan of Harvest Caye, which is essentially a beach day; there are some other things to do--zip line, for instance, or tours, but most are water-related. Last year we just stayed there and relaxed on the beach.

This year we took the ferry over to Palencia--$25 through NCL roundtrip. You get 3 hours there. We just walked around and had a meal.

The bad thing about this plan is that there really isn't time to take a tour on the mainland.

I believe there is a ruins tour through NCL, although reports are the ruins visited are underwhelming.

Doesn't the Getaway dock on Harvest Caye for your cruise? It did on the one we just returned from as well as last year.

I'm not a huge fan of Harvest Caye, which is essentially a beach day; there are some other things to do--zip line, for instance, or tours, but most are water-related. Last year we just stayed there and relaxed on the beach.

This year we took the ferry over to Palencia--$25 through NCL roundtrip. You get 3 hours there. We just walked around and had a meal.

The bad thing about this plan is that there really isn't time to take a tour on the mainland.

I believe there is a ruins tour through NCL, although reports are the ruins visited are underwhelming.

Yes it's Harvest Caye. Honestly, I haven't heard about much to do there if you're not a beach/water activities person which is kind of a bummer. The ruins will be my last option

I googled Placencia things to do and came up with several cultural type tours that sound interesting. The kicker is the supposed limit to 3 hours on shore--I don't know if anyone has tried going early and coming back on the last ferry; we weren't brave enough to risk it. I don't *think* they would leave anyone over there, but who knows.

I googled Placencia things to do and came up with several cultural type tours that sound interesting. The kicker is the supposed limit to 3 hours on shore--I don't know if anyone has tried going early and coming back on the last ferry; we weren't brave enough to risk it. I don't *think* they would leave anyone over there, but who knows.

Lol...dont think ill be brave enough to risk it either. Looks like i may just play it all by ear! Thanks y'all!