Disembarking in Galveston

Lady Vidora

Your Travel Agent obviously has never disembarked at Galveston. It is a nightmare when there are two ships in, which is nearly every weekend.

You may get off by 9:00, but it's highly unlikely. Immigration is often excruciatingly slow. GP had two officials processing 3,200 passengers! After disembarkation, the traffic is unbelievably bad. There are traffic rules, but no one is there to enforce them. You can wait up to an hour for a shuttle to the parking lots.

We used EZCruise parking. They are not responsible for the traffic debacle, but they are for their shuttle service. I doubt that the other parking lots are any better. Following is the message I sent their manager (note the time we finally were streetside):

Saturday, March 12th, we disembarked from Grand Princess. We waited

> street side from 11AM till almost 12N before we were able to get on a

> shuttle bus. Our shuttle driver overloaded the bus with luggage

> (littering the floor space) and passengers (Children on parents' laps) to

> get everyone to the parking lots. A number of others became so frustrated

> with the extended wait they walked back to the lot and returned to pick up

> their parties and luggage. There are no pedestrian walkways or crossings,

> which makes this a bit of a hazardous trek.

>

> Nearly a one hour wait is far too long for any age group, especially

> children and elders.

>

> The EZCruise guy responsible for loading passengers at terminal two did

> the best he could in a bad situation. These guys need to be provided with

> proper radio communication to contact drivers and you, the manager. The

> two bit walkie talkies are not adequate for the job.

I got a rather lengthy reply, which blamed their foulups on Carnival being late into port. One other ship late causing a debacle tells how poorly the Galveston port is managed.

We also live in Oklahoma. Our plan is to drive as far as Dallas that day and then drive to Oklahoma the following morning. Just a suggestion. I always enjoy stopping in Dallas -- we hit the outlet malls or the Galleria. Please let me know if you need hotel suggestions.

:o

ooooh, I forgot about the outlet mall. Now we're talkin....If I havn't got all my Christmas shopping one in the Caribbean, that's where we should go.

When the above poster mentioned immigration, I suddenly remembered my husband is a foreigner! He's got permanent residency, but I guess it could make things slower. It sounds like just taking it easy and planning to get to dallas might be the best. We'll try to get from OKC to Galveston in one day, though, and stay at a hotel the night before the trip.

So how much does it cost to park near the pier?

Last year we parked our car at the Galvez and used their shuttle to get back to the ship after disembarking. Our experience wasn't much better than the one described above. We finally got on the road just before noon, after having to be up rather early for immigation on board, then waiting to be allowed off, and waiting for our poor shuttle driver to finally make it into the terminal area.

The delays outside were entirely due to the lack of traffic control at the terminal. Some have posted that things are a little better this season. I still don't expect to be on the road before 11 AM.

So how much does it cost to park near the pier?

Despite my kvetching about EZCruise, they're probably the best option:

http://www.ezcruiseparking.com/

Here's a few other useful Galveston links (the last one includes a hotel listing):

http://www.portofgalveston.com/cruiseinformation/2005cruisecalendar.pdf

http://www.portofgalveston.com/

http://www.galveston.com/

I just got off the Grand last Saturday, Dec. 3rd.

And although I experienced/witnessed many problems aboard the Grand during my cruise last week, I can say that disembarkation was the BEST it's ever been.

We elected to use the newly offered "Express Disembarkation" this time -- and it was G-R-E-A-T. We were off the ship around 7:10, in the shuttle by 7:50, and on I-45 at 8:00 a.m.

Note: If you choose Express Disembarkation, you have to be able to handle ALL of your luggage by yourself. No porters will be available and no carts are provided.

In case you've never heard of Express, it's simple. The main difference is you don't put your luggage out in the hall Friday night. You keep everything with you. Then, around 6:30 a.m. on Saturday, they start calling the Express #'s. The first call of the morning was ticket # 1 - 100. Then approximately 15 minutes later, they called # 101 - 200. The third call was for our ticket range, 201 - 300. It goes very fast.

So, if you are able to manage your luggage without the need of a porter, you could be off the ship VERY early.

:) I loved this new option!!!! :)

BTW: For parking this time, we used a place called "81st & Dolphin." We experienced no problems. We paid $50 for the week (uncovered.) In fact, I don't think they even offer covered.

If you are arriving via I-45, take the first exit after the Causeway. Turn left on to Harborside Drive. You will then come up on the parking area located right beside the little convenience store to your right. (an Exxon maybe??)

Archived