Renting a tux for formal nights?

GarysGirl

My DH and I are leaving soon for a cruise, and we are very excited. However, we don't know what he is going to wear on formal nights! He has recently lost 90 pounds, which we are thrilled about, but his suits obviously don't fit him anymore. He us still losing weight and we expect him to reach his goal in about 9 months, so we don't want to buy a new suit that he will likely wear only on this cruise. Does anyone know how much it costs to rent a tux on Royal Caribbean ships? Would trying to find a cheap suit before we leave be cheaper? Will he have it the whole time or will he need to rent one separately for each formal night? Any help you can give me would be much appreciated! Thank you!

It cost us $85 on Celebrity and I think they use the same service. Included 2 shirts, studs, cumberbund and tux. Shoes were $12. Worked out well since our luggage weight was constricted. Delivered directly to the cabin on 1st or 2nd night and picked up last night - no problems at all and a good way to deal with your DH's great weight loss. Congratulations to him!

Check out your local thrift shops. (Even if you wouldn't ordinarily shop in a thrift shop.) My husbands first (fabulous) tuxedo came from a thrift shop when we were first married 20 something years ago along with a great white dinner jacket. It was really inexpensive- way less than renting. If they have his size go for it, otherwise rent.

My husband rented a tux from Royal Caribbean for our October cruise. We didn't want to haul a suit from Houston to Barcelona for a couple of formal nights. Spengle is right - it was $85 for the tux and $12 for the shoes. The tux was pressed and waiting for us in our cabin when we arrived.

Yes, you can find a cheap, good-looking tux for about the same price at a thrift shop or from one of the tuxedo rental places (like Al's) for about the same price. However, you would have to bring it with you (are you driving or flying?) and since you said he is still loosing weight, odds are he would only wear it once anyway. Plus, if you bring one with you, you will probably need to send it out to be pressed when you arrive.

They actually have a great tropical weight wool tux for 99.00. You can mix and match the jacket and pants sizes so tailoring is minimal if any.

Tried one on and liked it.

Dave

If you are gonna rent for 75, spend the extra and then alter it if he looses weight.

I recall $85 for last cruise as well for tux rental...didn;t rent shoes, as DH already has a pair of dressy black shoes, so did not need. I believe they need it 3 weeks prior to sail date...so if he's losing weight I definitely would go through RCI...plus it's one less item to pack and iron. DH owns a tux, but prefers to rent on cruises...hates ironing them and putting in the luggage. Call RCI tux rental and find out for sure how close to the cruise is the deadline. Ya'll have fun!

Which RCI cruise will ya'll be on...we're on Explorer in May.

Kim

Archived