Getting from LAX to Port of Los Angeles

Xoe

Any tips on getting from LAX to Port of Los Angeles -- are we safe with flight arriving at LAX at 1:10 p.m. for a cruise that sails at 4:00 p.m.? Has anyone used a cab or their cruise line's transfer service, and what are your opinions?

We used SuperShuttle vans for our recent cruise on the Diamond Princess. I made reservations over the internet, but I'm not sure they were even necessary. We arrived in LAX at 11:00 pm the night before our cruise (due to a missed connection) and walked out to the shared ride van area outside the terminal to catch the shuttle, and arrived at our hotel (Sheraton San Pedro) by midnight. The cost was $33 for two people one way. We also used them from the ship back to LAX after our cruise (same price).

Gayle

Celebrity Galaxy 03/1999
Diamond Princess 03/2004

Xoe, your time-table sounds dangerously close! Gayle's drive took an hour when there was NO traffic. Can you get an earlier flight?

Gayle - can you tell me about the Sheraton's shuttle? We are supposed to take it back after our cruise...will it be at the pier waiting for us (is it easy to find?), or do we need to call? Thanks.

Babykates,
The Sheraton shuttle will keep circulating from the ship to the hotel. When we left the ship, the crowd to the hotel was too big for us to get on and we ended up having to wait until the shuttle came back. At that point, they were actually dropping off people at the pier for the NEXT cruise.

Having lived in LA for 30 years, I agree your schedule is too tight. The 405 can get bottlenecked very easily and, at best, is a horrible freeway. You need an earlier flight. Sepulveda is an alternative street to the port but not the fastest either.

sun cruiser

I fly a lot for business. Based on both my experiences with airlines and hearing about other people's experiences, I would never consider that tight of a schedule. Airlines experience many delays (both mechanical and weather) and baggage delays are even worse. On top of that, you add the variable of traffic in LA. Yuck.

I am heading to LA in a few more days to cruise through the Panama Canal. I am flying in the day before. That way if there are any delays or baggage problems, I have one more day for things to catch up. I will be able to relax the night before, and then board the ship early. We have arrived at prior cruises shortly before departure. I am really looking forward to having extra time before the departure to explore the ship, unpack, and really enjoy the moment when the ship gets under way.

We made our transport arrangements through [url="http://www.xpressshuttle.com"]www.xpressshuttle.com[/url]. The price was good (I think it was around $40 for two people in an SUV). It is not a shared ride so it costs a little more but we will not be waiting for anyone else.

Mike

The family and I took a trip down to Long Beach to see the Pride last weekend. It took us less than 30 minutes to get there. Freeway was wide open! Having said that, I would agree that is probably not to be counted on and I would try to get in earlier.

Happy Cruzin'
Linda

Paradise 11/29/04 Inlaws 50th wedding anniversary
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=dc143c&cdt=2004;11;29;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
Pride 5/29/05 Daughter's Sweet 16
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2005;5;29;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]

I have to agree with others that the schedule is pretty tight for a 4 PM sailing. As for a cab, which will probably be the fastest, I took a cab last month from LAX to the port at San Pedro. It was approximately $50 plus tip. Not bad considering that there was almost no wait and I think we all know that the drivers are always in a hurry. We went on a Sunday so traffic was not too bad. I think it took a little over 30 minutes. Good luck!

Tim
Canton, Michigan

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;7;4;16;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
Until the Carnival Paradise Sails

Carnival Paradise July 2004
Vision of the Seas March 2004
Carnival Triumph June 2003
Brilliance of the Seas December 2002
Maasdam December 2001
Carnival Spirit May 2001
Sovereign of the Seas March 1998

Is the Port of Los Angeles different then Long Beach? On the Diamond Princess it says Los Angeles (Long Beach) but on the Vision of the Seas it just says Los Angeles? Which airport would be the most convenient to fly into LAX or SNA? Thanks

Our experience was good on a Sunday, although we arrived into LAX around 10:00 a.m. A friend was circling the airport until we called him and told him we had our luggage. We were sitting in chairs waiting to board the ship after checking in at 11:10. The ship was not boarding until 11:30. At that time of the day on Sunday, traffic was free flowing. Don't know about later. We experienced the same kind of times (30 min.) when we returned to LAX by SuperShuttle.

• 4 weeks later...
Hi, I will be flying on Jet Blue into Long Beach aiport. I think Long Beach Airport is only about 7 miles from the Port of Los Angeles. How much should I expect to pay for cab fare. I got a shuttle quote for my family of 4 and it was $40.00 one way. That seemed kindof high considering that you could almost walk to the port. lol.

OMGoodness...I didn't know that I could avoid LAX airport and fly into Long beach...wooo hooo...jet blue finally picked up service here in Boston and they have nonstops...I'm loving it. RCCL goes out of the San Pedro port...Carnival goes out of Long Beach...looking on the map...it doesn't look like San Pedro is that far. Am I right???

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004
Carnival Inspiration - June 2003
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

• 4 weeks later...
Thanks for all the helpful info. We've changed our flight so now it's too early instead of too late (limited choices using f.f. miles). Now we'll be at LAX at 8:30 a.m., half asleep probably, and twiddling our thumbs waiting for transportation to the ship! Tentatively, we'll use the cruise line's (NCL) transport, although I will check with Super Shuttle to see if it's a better deal. We might have been better off flying into Long Beach, but changing that now would cost some $$, and with the earlier time, it should all work, especially since it will be on a Saturday without heavy commute traffic.

Thanks to all!

Archived