PoAm 12/3-12/10/05 comments

DayDreamer2

We really enjoyed our cruise and excursions. The only issue we had was dining in the main dining areas (Liberty and Skyline). If you want to eat here (even though it's freestyle dining) it's a good idea to make reservations. They are understaffed and without the reservations wait times could be 45 minutes or more! :eek: We found service to be very slow. It's true the the Liberty and Skyline when there is a wait of approximately 45 minutes they are only half full.

Otherwise we really enjoyed our cruise. A great way to see Hawaii

Our room was clean and the room steward was great.

Staff was always friendly and helpful.

Definately go with a positive attitude and make dining reservations in advance. You'll have a great time!! :p

How quickly did you notice the reservations for the free and non free dinning rooms filling up? Was 5:30 a popular time?

I may not check into the ship until 5PM and hoping that if I do my reservations then that I can secure most of the times and places I want.

Thanks for the comments. Which excursions did you enjoy the most? Was there any difference in wait times between the two main dining rooms or were they about the same? We are really looking forward to going in February!

We were on the same cruise, so let me try to answer the dining room question for you.

Any difference in wait times: Yes.

Were they about the same: Yes

Sorry for the dry humour, but this will be the most distressing thing about the cruise.

Here is an example: One evening I went to the Liberty and was given a pager for an estimated 45 minute wait. I asked about the Skyline wait and was told they are separate and she had no idea what the wait was. So, I walked the stairs and was shown directly to my seat. After I finished ordering I decided to return the Liberty's pager, which still had not gone off.

Another evening it was pretty much the same, except the restaurants were reversed! Another evening I got the pager while my wife was getting ready, ~30 minutes later came back and checked to see how much longer it might be. She said come on in, and seated us immediately. (pager had not activated and people were still waiting in the halls!)

All in all, I never figured out a "system" that worked for someone like me who hates to wait. By the time I had figured this out the Specialty restaurants had been booked. However if you get hungry, as we did one night, the Aloha can be a usable alternative. Don't dally though since the Aloha buffet (9pm) closes before the main dining rooms (10pm).

Another fun point: The service in the Main Dining Rooms was excellent whenever we survived the wait. Very Fast and attentive waiters, obviously new, but trying very hard. The food quality was the lowest of any cruise I've been on, but tolerable.

Oh yes you have just reminded me of one of our nights on the POA THE WEEK OF 11-24/12-3.

THERE IS A REVIEW a few pages away by SandiegoJoe on our week fyi.

On Wed night we had had early Reservations at the Steakhouse but because of a great am at the beaches just south of town 4-6 miles,and then our find of a great place called "Anthonys on the beach",we ended up having a nice Island lunch and cold ones from their nice patio with a view that went on & on.When we got back on board @ 4 we were still so full that we just called and cancelled. Well later about 7pm 4 of us went to the Liberty and The "SIGN" said 12 tables of 4 were open right now.How lucky could we get..Right...NOT!!..

HERE IS YOUR PAGER and should be about 30 min..WELL 45 MIN LATER we get our table and the dinner was really good and the staff A+....so that was all Good.

But I wanted to question the Hostess when we were leaving about the Reservation Sign and our wait time..Off the record she said it was a joke....Oh you mean the "False Hope" sign.In a perfect world and a full waiter staff it would have been true..There were 12 tables of 4 empty but just not enough people to man them....My advice ..If you are given a pager and you are STARVING..Pop up the elevator to the Aloha and eat a nice salad to tie you over,and get it out of the way to save you time for the rest of your night..The pagers work over the entire ship.Or maybe hit

the Cadillac Diner for some comfort food.It's really not a big deal.IT IS FREESTYLE and you just have to roll with it.You are on vacation and in Hawaii and you'll still gain your 1 lb per day on the cruise.Aloha...It is a great ship and crew and you'll get to eat! Have lots of fun:p

Thanks for the comments. Which excursions did you enjoy the most? Was there any difference in wait times between the two main dining rooms or were they about the same? We are really looking forward to going in February!

We had the best time on the whale watch in Maui. We actually booked it on our own after we got off at that port. (There are things to do magazines at the ports when you dock). It was on a zodiac boat and was the favorite excursion for us the whole trip. It was a fourth of the price of a ship sponsored excursion. We saw a few whales but in February you will see alot more. Also there are rental agencies right when you get off the boat that usually have available cars for a great price. Have fun!!!

Volcano National Park (Hilo) was the most memorable for me. We took the Volcano National Park and Rainbow falls tour. In my opinion the tour is made better when the guide (bus driver) is good. We were given so much information about the volcanoes and the history of the island. I really enjoyed this tour.

My hubby and I played golf when were were in Kona. We were scheduled to play Mauna Lani, but they had a tournament that day so we payed at Hapuna Golf, which was great. A beautiful course in great condition, and the scenery was amazing. By the way Lauren at the pro shop on the ship is extremely helpful.

We went to Ka'anapali Beach (Maui). You can rent snorkel equipment at the beach which gets pricey if you need all the equipment. You can also go swimming or just sit on the beach. A very nice beach.

Waimia Canyon and Fern Grotto. I was glad we went to see Waimia Canyon, the Fern Grotto was a little disappointing ( I think the brochure make it sound to be more than it is) They sing the Hawaiin Wedding song at the Grotto, but we couldn't hear it. I still enjoyed this tour.

Sea Fun Beach break (Kauai) This is snorkeling excursion. They provide all the equipment which is included in the price. The water was a little rough the day we went, but the people who run this tour are wonderful and very encouraging to those who may be somewhat nervous. There really isn't a beach to go swimming and just a little sand. You walk into the water from the beach and the people who run the tour are there to help you in and out of the water. I'm not a great swimmer and they were great. They give you a body suit (short sleeve/shorts type)to wear which helps make you float.

On Saturday we did the nine hour tour of Oahu. Our flight left at 10:30pm and we felt this would give us some thing to do during the day. Again the bus driver (guide) was great. He gave us so much information about the islands and made several stops along the way (one of the stops being the Dole Plantation) Lunch on this excursion was excellent which was at Turtle Bay.

There are so many choices with the excursions and we tried to pick the ones that would enable us to appreciate the islands asmuch we could in the short time we were there. I believe we accomplished this and was happy with all the excursions we took.

Oh you mean the "False Hope" sign.In a perfect world and a full waiter staff it would have been true..There were 12 tables of 4 empty but just not enough people to man them....

Great advise. Don't be deceived by the monitors throughout the ship! Only pay attention to the left hand bar graphs of the monitor (left hand from the viewers viewpoint), not the right hand side that scrolls between the various restaurants and provides information on quantity of tables available. The left hand bar graph shows true availability based upon available servers. The right hand quantity only illustrates the number of installed tables in the restaurant - many of which are un-manned because of the staffing levels.

Archived