Cruise Prices

spearmint

On a recent reading of "Constellation 11/10/05- first timers," there were some references made to different prices for cruises. They were incredibly inexpensive, compared to prices from Canada. It never costs us less than $1250 per person (CDN) for a cruise, which at today's dollar would be about $1040 American. (Of course, this price is the cruise-only price and does not include air travel costs, insurance etc.) This is still considerably higher than what some members were talking about. Are we missing out on information that our travel agent does not have? Where do some of you cruisers who travel more than once a year find such good prices? How do you get credits or reimbursements or upgrades if the price goes down after you have purchased, as some people mentioned? How does one find out about last-minute deals? Any help would certainly be appreciated.

Just routinely check one of the popular cruise dot com sites if you see it cheaper than you book it at, call your TA.

The Connie has some deals as people are finding it harder to fly to San Juan for a reasonable price and FF seats are gone quickly. Plus it is hard to get home from SJ the same day you get off the ship, so you have to add an addition hotel night to your total cost.

I was on that 11/10 cruise and yes, we had a terrific price. I had no intention of going on a cruise at that time but my TA, who knows I love the Constellation, called and told me they had balcony cabins for $750 (including taxes and port charges) on a guaranty. That's an incredible price as last time I was on the ship the balcony cabins were about $1200. I quickly booked it and was upgraded to the vista deck mid ship. Since it cruised out of Port Liberty there was no airfare involved. This was 3 weeks before cruise date so I guess if you check prices close to cruise date you'd find specials unless the ship is sold out. My TA guarantees to match any price drops so you might want to check that yours does too.

On a recent reading of "Constellation 11/10/05- first timers," there were some references made to different prices for cruises. They were incredibly inexpensive, compared to prices from Canada. It never costs us less than $1250 per person (CDN) for a cruise, which at today's dollar would be about $1040 American. (Of course, this price is the cruise-only price and does not include air travel costs, insurance etc.) This is still considerably higher than what some members were talking about. Are we missing out on information that our travel agent does not have? Where do some of you cruisers who travel more than once a year find such good prices? How do you get credits or reimbursements or upgrades if the price goes down after you have purchased, as some people mentioned? How does one find out about last-minute deals? Any help would certainly be appreciated.

I know what you mean regarding the strength of the Canadian dollar vs. the U.S. buck however we in Canada will not realize the full benefit of the stonger Canadian buck for a long time, if ever, when it comes to travel. For years Canadians booking vacations on cruises, all-inclusives in the Caribbean and Mexico etc. were somewhat subsidized- in other words we did not pay the full exchange rate when it cost us $1.60 Can. to buy a U.S. dollar. All of these vacations are priced originally in U.S. dollars. I have noticed the price of "package" vacations coming down but I suspect the exchange rate used for pricing purposes will settle at a level of around $1.30 - $1.35 or so; when, I do not know. This is not unique to the travel industry..it is rare that you will be able to buy anything at the actual exchange rate unless you buy U.S. dollars in Canada and then go spend them in the U.S. The bottom line is we were "subsidized" for a long time, we can't really expect the full benefit of the current exchange rate immediately.

Spearmint, I am also a Canadian, but I've always booked through a US agency. I was on the Constellation on Nov 26th, ic a CC cabin. The MSRP, if you will , from Celebrity as well as almost all online TA's , was quoted at $1600. And that's the price that my tablemates paid, and which I was fully prepared to as well. Then got a quote , in September, for just over 50% of that price from an online agent. . I don't know if they had bought cabins to resell at their own risk, or if it was a group rate, but the difference was just ridiculous and too good to pass up, so I grabbed it. As we can't discuss agencies, I could only pass on the name if contacted privately.

I must admit, that untill we were onboard, I fully expected Celebrity to tell me that I was booked on a rate for which I was ineligible and thus pay the difference or watch the ship sail away from the dock and not be on it. We both grinned from ear to ear when we were given our Seapass cards and got through security!!..That Champagne never tasted so good!!!

Good luck, there are deals out there, especially in the Novenber-December timeframe.

I was on that 11/10 cruise and yes, we had a terrific price. I had no intention of going on a cruise at that time but my TA, who knows I love the Constellation, called and told me they had balcony cabins for $750 (including taxes and port charges) on a guaranty. That's an incredible price as last time I was on the ship the balcony cabins were about $1200. I quickly booked it and was upgraded to the vista deck mid ship. Since it cruised out of Port Liberty there was no airfare involved. This was 3 weeks before cruise date so I guess if you check prices close to cruise date you'd find specials unless the ship is sold out. My TA guarantees to match any price drops so you might want to check that yours does too.

That is a good tip regarding TA matching prices. Thanks,espmass. I should also contact him about letting us know of late special; we have a tendency of late to book a cruise 6 months or more inadvance.

Spearmint, I am also a Canadian, but I've always booked through a US agency. I was on the Constellation on Nov 26th, ic a CC cabin. The MSRP, if you will , from Celebrity as well as almost all online TA's , was quoted at $1600. And that's the price that my tablemates paid, and which I was fully prepared to as well. Then got a quote , in September, for just over 50% of that price from an online agent. . I don't know if they had bought cabins to resell at their own risk, or if it was a group rate, but the difference was just ridiculous and too good to pass up, so I grabbed it. As we can't discuss agencies, I could only pass on the name if contacted privately.

Wow. That is a good rate. I, too, am from N.B.,Canada. As for agencies, all I can say is that our agent is NOT the AMERICAN Automobile Association. Thanks for the info.

Archived