Jolly Pirates - Taxi?

thetone

Thinking about doing the Jolly Pirates snorkeling cruise. I understand it docks out of MooMba Beach, approximately 8 km from the cruise terminal. We dock at 7:00 a.m., and the tour starts at 9:00 a.m. Does anyone know the best way to reach the dock and/or how much a taxi is? Are there taxis at the beach to get back to the cruise terminal? Cheers.:cool:

Im doing this excursion in February. In just my research I found its $11 each way and the taxis are cheaper outside the terminal. For a more budget friendly option, there is a public bus that goes there and back as well.

I haven't put it to the test yet so don't quote me! lol. I may still get lost when I go :o:cool:;p

Im doing this excursion in February. In just my research I found its $11 each way and the taxis are cheaper outside the terminal. For a more budget friendly option, there is a public bus that goes there and back as well.

I haven't put it to the test yet so don't quote me! lol. I may still get lost when I go :o:cool:;p

Thanks for the info. I would love to hear about your expirence. Wish my cruise was only two months away....

• 2 weeks later...
Thanks for the info. I would love to hear about your expirence. Wish my cruise was only two months away....

As far as experience goes, it was honestly mediocre but it mostly wasn't Jolly Pirates fault. The boat itself is nice, and I like that it has a large covered area for people who don't want to bake in the sun. The crew was very fun and they kept the drinks flowing if that's your thing. The food was alright. The rope swing was fun too. The day we went the snorkeling was pretty bad. They take you to 2 snorkel locations, the wreck and then a spot off of a beach. When we were there the visibility sucked so it was hard to see much at the wreck because it's so deep. The second location I thought was a bit dangerous because the only interesting stuff to see was right by some big rocks on the coastline so you had to be really careful to keep from being slammed into the rocks by the waves. And at the second spot the crew didn't even tell us where to go, and unlike most snorkel excursions they don't have anyone get in the water with you, you're left to explore on your own. They may have told someone where to go but it wasn't us and we weren't alone because most people spent the time looking at a sandy bottom with nothing interesting and we heard by word of mouth where to go after wasting lots of time looking at nothing. So those things coupled with the bad visibility made the snorkeling pretty disappointing.

As for directions, when I booked with Jolly Pirates they sent me instructions on how exactly to get there, it's not very complicated. If you take a taxi they will drop you off at a hotel, you just walk through the lobby out past the pool area and onto the beach. Then you walk down the beach to the bar and there are signs directing you around to the Jolly Pirates shop. Somehow we missed all the signs but the bartender was happy to give us directions. When you want to go back you can walk back to the hotel and there will be taxis waiting. This was from the booking email:

"Directions from the cruise ship terminal

We recommend taking a taxi from outside the terminal and you can expect a 15minute cab ride and cab fare to Moomba to be approximately $11 each way. Whentaking a cab from inside the terminal, the cost will be$14 each way.

Your other option would be to choose to take the public bus which is also easyand convenient. Directly across the street from the terminal you will see thebrightly colored bus station. The busses all run either north towards thehotels or south towards the airport and San Nicolas.

Take the bus which reads, "HOTELS". Everyone is very friendly hereand will point you in the right direction. All of the hotels in Aruba arebasically beside each other in one long strip. The public bus fare is $1.20 USDeach way. (US dollars accepted everywhere)

First you will pass all of the low rise hotels and then you will see all of thehigh-rises one after the other. First you will see the Westin, Radisson, Hyattand Holiday Inn. Jump off at the Holiday Inn; walk through the lobby and ontothe beach. When you’re facing the beach, walk just about 200 yards to theright, and then follow our signs to the check in / pirate shop.

You will see the large thatched roof tops at MooMba. Meet us by the MooMba Bar at our pirate souvenir shop."

• 2 weeks later...