The Saltstraumen "Maelstrom" near Bodo, Norway - more information?

We'll be on a Hurtigruten RT Bergen-Kirkenes-Bergen, in March, 2018.

I'm posted the following on the more specific threads (e.g., Roll Call, and also general Hurtigruten), but there may be people who have seen the SaltstraumenMaelstrom near Bodo, when traveling either with a different cruise line, or perhaps a land trip.

We are interested in seeing this maelstrom, but we are trying to find out just how much of a walk or hike it is to get there. It's listed as Activity Level "2".

Also - and importantly - can it be predicted by the tidal schedules whether the maelstrom will have even a chance of being impressive, vs. being at a known time of day when currents are *not* going to be strong?

Many thanks for any information, and especially about the tidal schedule.

Happy New Year!

GC

This won't be helpful, but I had to post since I went there 31 years ago with my then boyfriend, now husband. It was a memorable trip overall but we were underwhelmed by the maelstrom. We didn't hear any eerie sounds or anything like that, but in ways that turned into one of the funny memories of the trip -- after we had expectations based on The Scream and the literary allusions, and then they were dashed. As I remember, we took a public bus from Bodo. It was early July and I remember it being rainy and slippery, but of course I was in my 20s so nothing seemed very challenging.

Thanks for reminding me of a great memory!

This won't be helpful, but I had to post since I went there 31 years ago with my then boyfriend, now husband. It was a memorable trip overall but we were underwhelmed by the maelstrom. We didn't hear any eerie sounds or anything like that, but in ways that turned into one of the funny memories of the trip -- after we had expectations based on The Scream and the literary allusions, and then they were dashed. As I remember, we took a public bus from Bodo. It was early July and I remember it being rainy and slippery, but of course I was in my 20s so nothing seemed very challenging.

Thanks for reminding me of a great memory!

What is the connection between The Scream and the maelstrom? I've not heard of this, and it sounds interesting!

(I also didn't know that the specific view of Oslo in the painting was from Ekebergs Park until the article Terry just posted, so it seems it's an art history week for me!)