Caribbean island

grammyof14

Anyone been to NCL's island in the Caribbean? Worth going ashore? Anyone know about the glass bottom boats? Do we need swim shoes? Someone told us that it can be sharp walking in the water.

Thanks for any info, going on the Jewel in January and really getting excited.

Hi

I just came back from the Jewel and loved it! I liked their private island. The island was clean and their were plenty of chairs. They have a great barbeque going. The water felt great but their were some rocks. The water is so clear that you can see through to the bottom so you always knew when you were close to any rocks. The tenders run pretty frequent so if you don't want to stay there too long you can get back to the ship pretty quickly. Water shoes are always a good idea if you don't want to worry about the rocks.

Just go and have some fun.

We were there in June and loved it. My DH found it to be the highlight of the trip. If you like it a little less crowded, you can walk a little ways and get a more secluded area. My DD parasailed there and had the time of her life.

We were just there 2 days ago. It was VERY crowded and impossible to get a beach chair in a good area (we got off the boat about 10:00am I think). However, the swimming in the clear water was worth the crowds.

The main beach area is smooth sand and not rocky, but that's the crowded part. if you go over to where the boat house is, you will definitely need shoes of some kind. The beach area and the shore is extremely rocky, and there are lots of little grass burr things out in that area. Swim shoes are a must if you're planning on being near the boat house (I assume that's where you get paddle boats, they were tied up near there).

Also, take insect repellant ashore. I got a lot of bites there.

We loved the island........you can get all your food and drinks there- and they even have a little shopping "village" set up. Bring some bread out into the water- only waist deep. Start breaking off little pieces and throwing it into the water. WIthin a few minutes......you'll have your own little aquarium of colorful fish. My son loved it.

It does get crowded......but its a lot of fun!

Thanks all, but hadn't thought about insects, is repellant needed everywhere?

My wife & I were on the same sailing as last_mango and I guess it's the luck of the draw, we had no insect bites at all. BTW-we got an early tender ticket and were on the first boat to the island. Got beach chairs right on the water, no problem mon. Had about an hr to an hr and a half without crowds, and saw some fish schools in the area before the hoards arrived, then the schools split up. That's when we walked to the lighthouse and enjoyed it as well.

-Monte

Thanks all, but hadn't thought about insects, is repellant needed everywhere?

I don't know if it's needed everywhere - either nothing was around to bite me or the OFF wipes worked for Roatan, Jamaica, and Grand Cayman. :D At any rate, I didn't want to risk it and the OFF wipes were cheap and easily portable (flat...slipped in our pockets). Unfortunately I forgot them in the room on private island day. DH and I both have some ugly bites, on our legs only, so I assume whatever was biting was in the grass.

Archived