Panama Canal on RCCL

beechfor

I have read a lot of discussion about private tours at the Panama Canal but to my recollection most of the posters were on Carnival or Princess. One topic dealt with not being able to tender from the ship if you do not take a ship excursion but you must wait until you are docked at Christobal Pier. Do any RCCL cruisers know if we allowed to tender off if we have booked a private tour guide. Still doing my research for this port, but we think we want to see some of the area rather than stay on the ship. Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

We are going in Feb. and have booked the ship's tour of the ferry through the canal. It is my understanding that you cannot exit the ship in the Gatun area unless you are with a ship's tour. We have a private guide hired in Costa Rica when we dock there. We usually always do private guides and really have a great time with them. Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got back from a Brillance of the Sea Panama Canal trip last week. The only excursions were those booked through RCCL. We waited in the theater until our excursion was called and took the tender to the waiting buses. There is not enough time at Christobol Pier to book much of a private excursion.

Archived