Questions on Seabourn Discount

Oceanbabyblue

After reading all the good reviews on this board, I'm about to book a Transatlantic cruise on Seabourn sailing in April,06. This will be my first Seabourn cruise. Some questions before I book:

1. When is the best time to book a gauranteed A (double occupancy) for the best offer? I notice there's already 50% discount on the Transatlantic cruise in 2007, does it mean that I have to book a year ahead?

2. Shall I book through a travel agent or Seabourn direct to get a better deal?

3. Will travel agent be able to give extra discount on top of the Seabourn discount & how much % of the discount will be?

4. What is a Virtuoso agent? Read from other posts that they're giving out more like shore event, but are they raising the price in order to compensate the "free" shore event? Does it worth booking through a Virtuoso agent for a Transatlantic cruise?

5. Is there any disount for new Seabourn cruisers or other benefits that I may be qualified?

Many thanks!

>"4. What is a Virtuoso agent? Read from other posts that they're giving out more like shore event, but are they raising the price in order to compensate the "free" shore event? Does it worth booking through a Virtuoso agent for a Transatlantic cruise?"

I can't comment on any of your other questions. I have had a Viruoso agent for ages. I don't pay any more money that anyone else. They highlight cruises on luxury lines and then usually offer a nice cocktail party or brunch and then in most cases have an on-shore event which is always very nice. On the last trans-Atlantic I was on with no ports, there was no cocktail party and I received a gift certificate from Tiffany's.

You can find an agent via their website.

Have to agree with Jane,

I have had a Virtuoso agent for years and have never paid a penny more.

They are a consortium that specializes in high end travel.

The added amenities and the great service are something that I would never give up for a minor discount that may be offered by an agent that may not be familar with the Seabourn product.

If price is the ultimate goal you can book with whomever you choose. However don't be disappointed when you hear fellow passengers speaking of the fabulous time they had at the Virtuoso sponsered shore excursion or the private cocktail party that you were excluded from because you chose to save a few dollars.

Whichever way you decide to go you will not be disappointed with the service on Seabourn,

Just my opinion,

mcboo:)

I have always used my Virtuoso agent for Seabourn -- she has always been able to get as good as or better fares than I have seen advertised elswhere. On the cruises that have been select Virtuoso cruises we have not only had the wonderful shore excursions ( and we are typically people who avoid shore excursions prefering to strike out on our own) and the previously mentioned cocktail parties but there is a Virtuoso host on board so if anything comes up you don't have to waste time trying to contact your agent back in the states.

As to some of your other questions, the transatlantic cruise have become very popular, thanks in part to the efforts of some members of this board(Martha), so yes, I would say you should consider booking 2007 just before the 2006 cruise sets sail. I am also not sure that you will see the cruise discounted much more than 50%. As to past cruiser discounts, they include the entire Carnival family -- so if you have cruised any of then it counts. A note of caution, Seabourn does not offer an extra discount to past passengers on all of its cruise -- only the only highlighted in their catalog.

1. When is the best time to book a gauranteed A (double occupancy) for the best offer? I notice there's already 50% discount on the Transatlantic cruise in 2007, does it mean that I have to book a year ahead?

-----------------

If you want the best deal on the Transatlantic, I agree with Chairsin that you should book before the 2006 sailing.

We wanted to book the Transatlantic A guarantee in Nov 2006, but waited to do it on our Costa Rica cruise so we could also get the onboard booking discount. The cruise pretty much sold out the week prior on the 2005 crossing!

This was our first Seabourn cruise. We did make an open booking while onboard and are looking forward to many more sailings.

I know many of you are from the US, but for those in the UK, the use of a agent, basicaly gives you around 10 percent off the best price the the cruise line can offer. Either use their web site to find recomended agents or search the internet, to check they are a "good" cruise agent ask questions such as which ships they have been on themselves as good agents get regular invitations from all the cruise lines.

Thanks for everyone's inputs. Went into the Virtuoso web-site & called the toll-free number, then they had someone from Virtuoso called me back. The quote Virtuoso gave me was the same as in the Seabourn web-site plus taxes, & since it's a Transatlantic cruise, there's no shore excursion & nothing extra offered. So, I finally made a booking with another agent (not Virtuoso) & paid ~$100/person less than the Vituoso quote. I guess for a Transatlantic cruise, it's justified not to have a Vituoso agent as there won't be any shore excursion. However, I'll keep in mind for future cruises which have port days.

• 9 months later...
Is the Virtuoso option only open to those who book in the USA?

I'm considering the Panama/Caribbean cruise in Feb 2008 and I'm from UK.

I don't know that answer, but I am sure you can get referred to a Virtuoso agency and they can advise you. The other thing to keep in mind is that they do not feature all cruises, just certain ones. On the non-featured cruises, there are no optional land excursions, parties, etc. I use an agency in Florida.

Jane in PHL

There are options other than Virtuoso, such as Ensemble Travel, which give similar and sometimes better benefits dependent on the cruise. Not every cruise is set up for complimentary shore experiences or cocktail parties. Sometimes, at least with Ensemble, there are possible alternatives such as on board credits, gifts, etc.

Also, discounting is travel agent dependent. Some never discount any cruise and others discount frequently. The amount of the discount is, similarly, travel agent dependent. It has nothing to do with Virtuoso or Ensemble or the others.

As for when to book, my biggest problem is finding the suites my clients want. While there are some very limited exceptions, don't expect a Seabourn cruise to be discounted and if you want a Guarantee now is better than later. Also, keep in mind that the deposit is refundable and, unless your TA charges a cancellation fee, there is no cost to cancel or have it repriced.

Roy,

I am from the UK, and for the past seven years I have used a US travel agent.I find that you get a better deal and as the pound is strong this can be an advantage.My TA is a member of the Ensemble travel group and they also have cocktail parties and shore excursions which is nice,but for me the service is the most important thing.

PS

Boatman, as I see you have posted at about the same time,I forgot to mention that PRICE is also important.

Unfortunately for us poor UK cousins yet another disadvantage is that we do lose out if we cancel a Seabourn cruise before final payment and we also cannot have the American Express Platinum onboard credit. We received a firm "no" from Seabourn when we queried this.

Unfortunately for us poor UK cousins ... we also cannot have the American Express Platinum onboard credit. We received a firm "no" from Seabourn when we queried this.

Daniete, in 2003, Seabourn gave me a "no" to my Delta SkyMiles American Express Platinum Card for the onboard credit because it was a "partnered" card and not directly issued byAmerican Express. On the western side of The Pond, American Express partners their card with certain airlines, hotels and a discount, warehouse store. I do not know if Amex partners with firms on Her Majesty's side of The Pond. If so and you have one of these cards, maybe this was the reason you were denied the onboard credit.

See you both on the Legend in about 3.5 weeks!

One thing to watch with Amex Platinum Travel is that they charge the non-discounted price. If you book with any TA but use the Platinum Card (a real one which costs $300 a year) you can get the $300 on board credit. BUT you cannot combine that with Virtuoso or Ensemble type benefits; so you have to choose wisely...The option is nice; especially when your TA discounts the fares.

Amex Platinum Travel got me the discounted price on the Nov. 4 Alexandria to Dubai Spirit sailing. First effort in getting advertised shipboard credits in Amex Brochure was not successful. . . but Amex TA is working to make shipboard credits match the advertisement. . and Amex is good at honoring its advertisements so I have no doubt the problem will be resolved.

Amex Platinum Travel got me the discounted price on the Nov. 4 Alexandria to Dubai Spirit sailing. First effort in getting advertised shipboard credits in Amex Brochure was not successful. . . but Amex TA is working to make shipboard credits match the advertisement. . and Amex is good at honoring its advertisements so I have no doubt the problem will be resolved.

This is the type of problem from which I speak. It was those sorts of issues that drove me to becoming a TA years ago. Now that I know much more about the industry let's just say I keep the card and don't worry about the service.;)

Daniete, in 2003, Seabourn gave me a "no" to my Delta SkyMiles American Express Platinum Card for the onboard credit because it was a "partnered" card and not directly issued byAmerican Express. On the western side of The Pond, American Express partners their card with certain airlines, hotels and a discount, warehouse store. I do not know if Amex partners with firms on Her Majesty's side of The Pond. If so and you have one of these cards, maybe this was the reason you were denied the onboard credit.

See you both on the Legend in about 3.5 weeks!

Hi Paul,

We have an American express affiliated to BA but this was a Platinum American Express card but issued in the UK so Seabourn said "NO" Silversea said "yes" and we enjoyed the onboard credit and the Dom Perignon but little else. Looks like we will just have to do without the onboard credit but have it made up by the fact we are on Seabourn with some very nice people and Brian says and you of course Paul!!

We leave for the Legend in a few hours so it is Monte Carlo or bust for us!!! See you soon

Kathryn

Hi Paul,

We have an American express affiliated to BA but this was a Platinum American Express card but issued in the UK so Seabourn said "NO" Silversea said "yes" and we enjoyed the onboard credit and the Dom Perignon but little else. Looks like we will just have to do without the onboard credit but have it made up by the fact we are on Seabourn with some very nice people and Brian says and you of course Paul!!

We leave for the Legend in a few hours so it is Monte Carlo or bust for us!!! See you soon

Kathryn

Bon Voyage, Kathryn and Brian!! I hope your luggage arrives when you do or you used the Seabourn luggage service. I am packing lighter and I am using the Seabourn luggage service. Your charter now is to get the crew and wait staff ready for the loyal Legendary crossers!

What's the Seabourn luggage service?

Hi Roy-e-e-e, Seabourn Valet luggage service is an arguably reasonably priced (depending on yoiur budget or what you perceive is a fair price for the service) but useful luggage delivery service where DHL picks up your bags at home or your business and delivers them to your suite onboard and / or visa versa and they take care of everything, incuding clearing it through customs. IMHO it is worth the cost in the current world order and not having to worry if your luggage is going to arrive with you. There have been many threads on this forum discussing it. Recently, Seabourn has significantly reduced the cost for this service, apparently, due to high demand. Click on the link below to view the most recent thread herein:

[thread]410467[/thread]

>"Looks like we will just have to do without the onboard credit"

Can you buy and own Carnival stock in the UK? If so, you can get an onboard credit by owning 100 shares.

Jane in PHL

Thanks Jane, We will look into this when we return. Just setting off for the airport now. See you in January.

Paul

Will try and get the crew prepared and everything ship shape. See you soon.

Kathryn

Archived