Packing and need help

macgirl

Maybe it's a bit early, our cruise is Jan. 2, but with Christmas almost here, I'm starting to organize for the trip so it won't be last minute.

Please help with the smart casual thing. I just don't know what to pack. On the first one on the Navigator, we were SO OVERDRESSED and felt like idiots all night. Everyone else at our table (and just about the entire dining room) was in casual clothes. I was in a "little black dress" about knee length, my fiance was in a sports coat and tie. I'll never forget how out of place we felt.

So, what does one wear for "smart casual" night???????????????

Thanks.

For casual nights I choose to wear things that are cute and stylish. For example a pair of white wide leg low rise slacks with a black knit top that has the shoulders cut out. Or black evening slacks with a silk halter style top. I also wear skirts that tend to be more evening but still casual with a fitted t shirt and then wear jewelry to add a little flare. I tend to pick things that are fun yet a bit more stylish then just every day casual.

I like to dress up a bit more than most because I now live in the desert and the desert makes for a really casual dress code.

Hope this helps.

We cruise on Jan. 2 too :)

I haven't cruised yet. But I'm wearing a dress or a skirt every night. Tea-length satin dress for formal night. I don't remember all that I have planned for other nights but I know that it's skirts and dresses.

I, too, am wearing skirts or sundresses every night on our Jan. 2 cruise. I don't get to dress up very often (I work in a VERY casual environment) so I'm looking forward to the opportunity to 'dress' a little. I don't think I'll feel uncomfortable if the other passengers aren't as dressed up as me; probably won't even notice them!!

Count me in! I have three sundresses, longer in length, that I'll be wearing for dinner. I like dresses and skirts; before I was a child psychologist (and had to get on the floor to do play therapy), I rarely even work slacks to work! Now that I'm a student again, jeans and sweaters are de rigeur so I'm looking forward to grown-up clothes! My 14 year old daughter plans on wearing skirts every evening too.. but that is what she and her friends have been doing lately too.

I'm hoping the pendulum swings back to dressing for dinners again; imho, we became TOO casual in the few years!

I'd never feel like an idiot dressed nicely, I like to dress nice every night on a cruise. As a matter of fact, I could dress in what would be considered semi-formal or smart casual (compared to stupid casual?) every night and be comfortable. I don't feel like I have to look like everyone else, no one can make me feel like an idiot other than myself. I would, however, feel out of place if everyone was dressed in formal clothing and I showed up in very casual clothing.

So, OK, you have already been on a cruise, you saw what everyone else was wearing and want to blend in the next time. Just wear the same type of clothes you already saw onboard the last ship you were on. I think you might be stressing out a little too much, if you read a few posts from returning first time cruisers, the message is always the same. "I wish I hadn't worried so much about my clothes and I wish I hadn't taken so many (fill in the blanks, shoes, dresses, shorts outfits...)"

Don't read too much into what info you see on these boards. There are a whole lot of people who get their knickers in a wad here, but very few, if any, will be that rude while you are actually on a cruise ship. Actually, I read more people getting into a huff over clothing on the individual cruise line boards than here on the fashion board! Just the fact that you have come here to ask a few questions lets me know that you care about what you look like. A cruise is definitely not a fashion show and there are hardly any model perfect bodies onboard. Clean up for dinner, observe the formal nights (if you have any) and relax, enjoy, have a wonderful cruise!

Kathy is soo right. Now that you have cruised, you know a bit of what to expect. Wear what you think you would be comfortable in on smart casual night.

When we cruise we like to dress up more than we can at home, especially me! On smart casual nights I wore sunddresses that had just a tad bit of sparkle to them and DH wore button down shirts with Dockers. I like to mix and match my wardrobe so that I can get more use out of my clothes, so when I cruise I have more choices. I also had dressy camel colored pants to wear with some of the fancier shirts that I brought. These shirts also worked with my skirts if I was more in the mood for those that night.

We have all have learned from our first cruise, whether it be fashion, itinerary, or ship!

Archived