Wedding Dress Transportation!

Squiggles

Has anyone had any experience in getting their gown to their destination? I've been told by the airlines that you can carry in on the plane, but then have heard horror stories about going through security, and there not being enough room on the plane, etc. Is this anything to worry about, or not? Flying to Puerto Rico for the ceremony/reception, with cruise afterword.

Thanks very much.

The rules vary by airline, flight and route -- and if you can get a straight answer from the airlines, you did better than I.

You can carry your dress onboard, but it will be counted as a carry on item and must fit in an overhead compartment or under the seat in front of you. You are allowed only ONE carry bag these days, along with a persoanl item like a purse or briefcase. So plan on not carrying anything else on but the dress.

I carried my dress on -- packed in the longest garment bag I could find. I knew there would be no time to have it pressed before the ceremony, so my hope was to be able to lay it across the overhead comparment, or hope they would allow me to hang it in the first class closet. (Some airlines don't have a first class section or special closet so keep that in mind when planning.)

Some tips. Ask at the gate if you can pre-board so that you can assure space for your gown. They might not let you, but it doesn't hurt to ask. As luck would have it, the flight was totally full and they would not let me board early. By the time we got on the place there was little overhead space and no way I could stow my gown there. So I smiled as nicely as I could and asked the flight attendant if I could put my wedding gown in the first class cabin. They didn't agree right away, but as there was no where else it could possible go, they finally agreed.

Luckily, any creases disappeared after I hung it overnight in our hotel room. All I ended up needing the morning of the wedding a quick touch up with a hand steamer (which I had packed just in case.)

Getting on the ship was a breeze. I carried it the dress bag the bridal shop provided and they let me carry it right to my cabin (even though the cabin wasn't technically ready yet.)

I considered several other options for transporting the gown -- shipping to a friend who lived locally and having her get it pressed, shipping to a local bridal shop that could press it, etc.) But in the end, I figured even a wrinkled dress was better than no dress at all so I carried on. But all of my other wedding clothes, including the groom's tux, ended up being checked with the airline. There was just no way to carry on everything.

I carried mine from dfw to lax and then onto the ship.

We flew American. I called ahead and asked if there would be any hanging space for my dress and the CS agent said that the plane was big enough to have plenty of room so that everyone could stow in the over head and I would probably be able to hang my dress in first class.

When I boarded the plane I asked the stewardess if I could hang it. The captain of the plane happened to be stainding close and he took my dress to the cockpit to hang in his personal closet.

I live in Ohio and got married in Hawaii. I carried my wedding dress on the plane and the flight attendants were more than willing to keep my dress in their private closet as long as I showed them what my dress looked like. They were wonderful the whole trip, they kept coming to me and my now hubbie and asked if we needed anything, They were the best crew that I've ever flown with.

My best advice to you is to call customer service ahead of time and be as sweet as pie (you know, your normal self :rolleyes: ) and ask these questions of them.

Best case scenario is that they annotate your reservation and, hopefully, alert the stewardesses and captain that you are coming - so that they are ready, willing, cheerfull, and able to make room and accomodate you!.

In any case, and, as usual, a smile and a sweet disposition ALWAYS goes a long way!

:D

sas80 has the right idea. A smile and a pleasant attitude go a loong way.

I did not have much luck calling ahead -- the airline folks just quoted the standard policy. But you should definitely try. And once I was face to face with the flight crew and staff doing check in, everyone was as helpful as they could be.

Another hint is to try and follow the "rules". I treated the gown as my carry on and had a very small backpack that counted as my personal item (purse/briefcase). I don't know how accomodating they would have been if I brought my usual rollaboard suitcase PLUS the gown.

And to be fair to the airline, I was on a totally booked flight on a frigid Friday evening in Feburary. So in addition to lots of luggage, everyone had bulky coats, scarves, hats and such. Even so, the flight crew happily found a place for gown.

I echo the call that the best course is to be sweet and smile. You'll be fine! :)

momofslg

Where at in Ohio are you from, and what airline did you travel with. I am from NW Ohio. We are thinking of flying out of Detroit, but we have no idea as to which airline. I want an airline that is willing to work with me having a dress. Sounds like you had no problems at all.

We're flying out of Detroit. I called our airline (American) and got the usual "we can't guarantee anything." They said that if there is room they will hang it in the closet, but if there is no room it has to go in the overhead. It is considered one of your carry on pieces-as someone said earlier, and it has to meet the measurement requirements (total 45 inches length plus height plus width.) She said you may have to fold it temporarily to show it is small enough. I think, though, that they have to tell you all of that, but it doesn't sound like it has been any problem for anyone. I just don't like the uncertainty, but, from eveyone's postings, it sounds like it all works out.

We're flying out of Detroit. I called our airline (American) and got the usual "we can't guarantee anything." They said that if there is room they will hang it in the closet, but if there is no room it has to go in the overhead. It is considered one of your carry on pieces-as someone said earlier, and it has to meet the measurement requirements (total 45 inches length plus height plus width.) She said you may have to fold it temporarily to show it is small enough. I think, though, that they have to tell you all of that, but it doesn't sound like it has been any problem for anyone. I just don't like the uncertainty, but, from eveyone's postings, it sounds like it all works out.

The best thing you can do for your stress level is to plan and prepare to have to fold it and stow it. Accept that reality right now.

If something better happens then you will be most pleased and what a GREAT start to your event!

After reading the posts on this subject just thought I'd add my two cents being that I am a former flight attendant. The flight attendants on the flight will really have the final say on if you can hang or dress or not. I always went out of my way to find a safe place for wedding gowns for any bride who was on any of my flights. It will also depend on the airline and type of aircraft you are flying on. Some planes do not have big enough closets to hang things in. I would suggest calling the airline to find out what type of plane it is and if there are closets so you can have a plan if there are no closets onboard. That is about the only helpful thing the reservations people can tell you. Everything else they tell you is just the standard stuff they have to say about it being carry-on and going in overhead bin. They cannot give anyone a heads up that you will have your dress- even if they make a note in your reservation the flight attendants will never see that. The best thing you can do is carry your dress as your carry-on with 1 other small bag or your purse and when you board the plane just ask the flight attendants very nice with a big smile if they would mind hanging your dress in their closet. Most will be more than happy to help you. You could also ask the gate agents at the gate if there is a closet onboard and if they would mind asking the flight attendants about hanging it. Mabye they will let you board early or at least let the flight attendants know so they can save a space in the closet for you. Hope this helps.

I had no problems with both airlines I used. For the flight there I put it in overhead comparments, and my father in law carried on my other carry on. On the way back, they had a closet they put it in for me.

My biggest suggestion is to buy a portable steamer. I bought mine from www.supersteamoriginal.com (works awesome) and I steamed it the night before my wedding.

It is a pain in the butt to carry the dress around, but I wouldn't have done it ANY other way!!

Archived