Stingray city with an almost 3 year old

Beppevroomvroom

I've read mixed reports about doing Stingray City with small kids. Some have mentioned that their kids were given floats etc. to enable them to go into the water but others have said that their trip just wasn't suitable. I understand that it can be very dependant on the sea conditions on the day but it does sound like some operators take you to shallower water where it may be easier to take kids in.

We will have an almost 3 year old and an almost 5 year old. Can anyone recommend a tour operator who would welcome (and include) the kids in the trip?

They are both very confident in water (albeit with armbands on the youngest) and love animals

TIA

My kids were just a year older the first time we went to Grand Cayman. We spent weeks before our cruise practicing snorkeling in the Y pool. We took along their own PFCs. They were so excited for this and jumped right in the water.

And then the rays came. Their size terrified my kids. They clamped on to me and wouldn't let go. We were lucky enough to get a photo before they were back in the boat, where they stayed for the rest of the day. They wouldn't even try snorkeling. I felt so badfor them.

My kids are now 11 and14 and we returned to Grand Cayman this summer and did the same excursion. Totally different story this time.

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with NativeWays both times. Highly recommend them. Small groups, lots of attention and fun.

First time:

bb5f1a089ea318145e7eea7409906c1c.jpg

276c7f1cbcb0581866763e5518884db0.jpg

Last time:

ed78f7cfe18bb62a5e4d707898ad6662.jpg

0dfd54bfd225f8ac7fb98748245e043f.jpg

It's really a tough question without knowing the children. For example, we've taken outgoing, animal-loving 2yo risk-takers out to Stingray City and they've loved it. However, we've also seen kids (of all ages) there, screaming and trying to climb up mom or dad to escape from the scary things in the water. :-)

What do your children like to do? Brave or timid? Animal-lover? Water Baby? Outdoorsy or prefers the indoors?

The only thing I can suggest without more info is for you to read some more of the threads here, read some more trip reviews other places online, then decide if that's something your children would like to do.

Where boats anchor out at Stingray City is largely dependent on the day, the weather conditions (wind direction) and who gets there first. You will have a better experience with some of the operators mentioned in this forum than with the cruise ship excursion or one of the random tours booked day-of at the port.

I'd also think about bringing your own life jackets for the kids so they have ones that fit and are comfortable and familiar. Waterwing-type armbands are not enough...for either child. If bringing your own isn't an option, then confirm with the tour operator that they have ones small enough for both kids.

My kids were just a year older the first time we went to Grand Cayman. We spent weeks before our cruise practicing snorkeling in the Y pool. We took along their own PFCs. They were so excited for this and jumped right in the water.

And then the rays came. Their size terrified my kids. They clamped on to me and wouldn't let go. We were lucky enough to get a photo before they were back in the boat, where they stayed for the rest of the day. They wouldn't even try snorkeling. I felt so badfor them.

My kids are now 11 and14 and we returned to Grand Cayman this summer and did the same excursion. Totally different story this time.

We did the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour with NativeWays both times. Highly recommend them. Small groups, lots of attention and fun.

First time:

bb5f1a089ea318145e7eea7409906c1c.jpg

276c7f1cbcb0581866763e5518884db0.jpg

Last time:

ed78f7cfe18bb62a5e4d707898ad6662.jpg

0dfd54bfd225f8ac7fb98748245e043f.jpg

Thank you so much for this!

Can I ak which time of year you went? The water looks so calm. I think if the sea conditions were like that my two would be completely fine with the rays. Choppy/murky waters might be adifferent story.....

It's really a tough question without knowing the children. For example, we've taken outgoing, animal-loving 2yo risk-takers out to Stingray City and they've loved it. However, we've also seen kids (of all ages) there, screaming and trying to climb up mom or dad to escape from the scary things in the water. :-)

What do your children like to do? Brave or timid? Animal-lover? Water Baby? Outdoorsy or prefers the indoors?

The only thing I can suggest without more info is for you to read some more of the threads here, read some more trip reviews other places online, then decide if that's something your children would like to do.

Where boats anchor out at Stingray City is largely dependent on the day, the weather conditions (wind direction) and who gets there first. You will have a better experience with some of the operators mentioned in this forum than with the cruise ship excursion or one of the random tours booked day-of at the port.

I'd also think about bringing your own life jackets for the kids so they have ones that fit and are comfortable and familiar. Waterwing-type armbands are not enough...for either child. If bringing your own isn't an option, then confirm with the tour operator that they have ones small enough for both kids.

Thank you - that's very helpful :)

They are confident kids and love animals and water. We'll give it some thought :confused:

Can I ak which time of year you went? The water looks so calm. I think if the sea conditions were like that my two would be completely fine with the rays. Choppy/murky waters might be adifferent story.....

Summertime -- June 2010 and August 2017.

Here's the link to the Rays, Reef and Rum Point tour we took. http://www.nativewaywatersports.com/our-tours/about-our-tours

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...