Panama Canal options

jankaren

Booked on Galaxy's Panama Canal cruise Jan. 9-21, and wondering: does the ship pass through the Gatun Locks? The itinerary reads: Panama Canal (cruising) 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. then Cristobal Pier 3 p.m. - 7 p.m. Is it better to remain on board, or take an excursion?

The Galaxy passes through the Gatun Locks the first thing in the morning. After clearing the locks, the Galaxy anchors in Gatun Lake about a mile or so from the locks. At this time, people with pre-booked tours are allowed to tender ashore to meet their tours. If you do not have a pre-booked tour, you will not be allowed off the ship. This is not as cruel as it seems since the tenders dock at a remote location that does not have any facilities.

The Galaxy sits at anchor until a little later in the day when it then passes back through the Gatun Locks and then docks at Cristobal Pier. At the pier, anyone still on the ship is allowed to disembark and visit a shopping center on the pier.

If you are interested in seeing more of the Canal or Panama, I highly recommend that you book a tour. There is a wide variety of possibilities. Two that I have been on were the Ocean to Ocean Train Tour, and the "Grand Tour of Panama," which visits Gatun Locks and later an Indian Village. Both are very interesting, but of the two I would recommend the Train Tour first since you will get to see much more of the Canal and Panama.

sptrout is right on with the above answer. We did the canopy tour, don't waste your time. But if you want to see more of the country than the lake, book a tour.

When you get to Cristobal, you don't want to leave the terminal. That part of town is not a real good place to go wondering. The terminal is secure and they have a lot of stands for shopping and a local bar.

Booked on Galaxy's Panama Canal cruise Jan. 9-21, and wondering: does the ship pass through the Gatun Locks? The itinerary reads: Panama Canal (cruising) 7 a.m. - 3 p.m. then Cristobal Pier 3 p.m. - 7 p.m. Is it better to remain on board, or take an excursion?
Just returned from this same cruise last weekend. The posters above have it right. The railing up on Deck 13 started to see visitors at around 5:00, and was starting to fill up by 5:30. The did open the lower deck forward area as well, though, which helped a lot. You'll probably want to see this from the outside. It's not too awfully hot at present, and the view from the Stratosphere lounge is pretty badly compromised by the condition of the windows.

While none of our shore excursions in Panama have been really phenomenal, I'd also agree that you don't want to stay on the ship for the ride back to Cristobal. If you get up early enough, you'll get a great "locks experience" on the way into Gatun Lake, and the reverse is -- well -- the reverse.

We've done three different excursions from Gatun Lake. The Gamboa tram was just OK. We've done the "Locks and Portabello". That's a good way to see the locks. At some point, we've also had the tour of the area along with the trip to see the Embera tribe.

The ferry ride through the locks is a long day (and a bit skimpy on the food) but if you get a good guide, you'll learn a great deal along the way. Our info on that is from family that took that route while we did others. Haven't tried the train ride yet.

Apart from disembarkation, it was a great cruise. Have a good time, and remember -- if you play golf in Cozumel, and your ball goes out of bounds, just take a drop. You don't want to know what's waiting for you in the woods! [bTW, since Xcaret is open again, I'd really recommend that for your shore excursion as a nice day off the island in Cozumel]

We did the ferry trip through the locks last January..we had an excellent guide. It was a great trip....we got fed well, huge hoagies, I could only eat half of mine. Maybe they are not all the same. We really enjoyed the day, and recommend the tour. Will be there again over New Years, and doing the Portabello tour this time. We have also heard raves about the Train trip.

We did the ferry trip through the locks last January..we had an excellent guide. It was a great trip....we got fed well, huge hoagies, I could only eat half of mine. Maybe they are not all the same.
Could be. I have no idea as to whether it's one operator or several that do these excursions. Our kids (12/04) and friends (12/05) both said that they got a lot of bread but not much in between. Glad you were well fed.

The guide makes all the difference on this particular excursion, as it's a long one, and both information and its presentation is a large part of the experience. I've heard from some folks about "average" guides, not no bad ones at all, and quite a few good ones.

Our friends with us on the 12/05 cruise were loaded into the locks with a pretty good size container ship. The got some amazing pictures that provide yet more perpective on this adventure.

• 1 month later...
Could be. I have no idea as to whether it's one operator or several that do these excursions. Our kids (12/04) and friends (12/05) both said that they got a lot of bread but not much in between. Glad you were well fed.

The guide makes all the difference on this particular excursion, as it's a long one, and both information and its presentation is a large part of the experience. I've heard from some folks about "average" guides, not no bad ones at all, and quite a few good ones.

Our friends with us on the 12/05 cruise were loaded into the locks with a pretty good size container ship. The got some amazing pictures that provide yet more perpective on this adventure.

Do you have the name of a good tour guide company for the Panama Canal for a shore excursion. We are traveling Dec 8-23 on Celebrity's mercury?

I am booked on the Infinity in September, going from San Francisco to Ft. Lauderdale. We have been trying to decide about shore excursions. We don't want to miss any part of going through the locks. If we were to take the monkey watch tour would we miss any part of going through the locks?

sptrout is right on with the above answer. We did the canopy tour, don't waste your time. But if you want to see more of the country than the lake, book a tour.

When you get to Cristobal, you don't want to leave the terminal. That part of town is not a real good place to go wondering. The terminal is secure and they have a lot of stands for shopping and a local bar.

chessbriar - not for this reply but looking at you line below.

Best wishes on the birth and good health of your 1st.

Life will change a lot. Enjoy one day at a time. The clock will not reverse on you to go back. My Mom was from Pittsburgh. Not the city peoper but off to the south and west through one of the tunnells. Bellair drive if I remember correctly.

I would also recommend the Panama Canal by ferry boat. Further, if you can, try to grab the stern seats on the middle deck. The sun will be over the bow of the boat, so you will be in the shade but the light will be perfect for stern-facing views and photos. You will miss most of what the guide has to say, since there is no speaker at the back of the boat. But, put your feet up on the railing, lean back and enjoy some great views!

As they will tender any passengers off that have excursion tickets, I believe they only tender those with ship's excursions. I don't think you can book independent excursions for Panama.

I think - going in a month or so. That there are a lot of private tours also.

They should also be getting off in the lake.

But I'm not involved and maybe someone else will have better information on this.

DH & I did the Ocean to Ocean Train last Feb. during our Horizon cruise and enjoyed it very much. If you book it, be sure to ask for the Domed Car. Cost a few dollars more but is well worth it since you can get such a beautiful view of the canal along the way.

Our tour guide on the train and for our bus trip through Panama City was Marty, a terrific and very informative guide.

Dianne

I think - going in a month or so. That there are a lot of private tours also.

They should also be getting off in the lake.

But I'm not involved and maybe someone else will have better information on this.

I'm going to the Canal on RCI in a month and they specifically state that the only people allowed off the ship at Gatun Lake are those on ship's tours. I would be extremely wary about booking a private tour if you don't have confirmation from the cruiseline that they will let you off.

Do you have the name of a good tour guide company for the Panama Canal for a shore excursion. We are traveling Dec 8-23 on Celebrity's mercury?
Contrary to the post above, you can book non-ship excursions, but it does take a bit of advance planning, mostly on the part of the tour operator who will send you the bit of paper you'll need at the gangway. I'm at work at present, and have the email address, etc., at home, but will post later this evening.

canderson- i think that you are correct about independent tour operators in panama. i have been in contact with"myfriendmario" and he is getting very good reviews on cruise critic's message board for the panama canal. we are cruising aboard the galaxy in march and are still trying to iron out the details to this particular excursion. he apparently needs passport information from you to get government permission. go to the aforementioned board and you can get contact information for him. it will also give you the opportunity to see what others are saying about him.

We took the ferry tour this past November / December.

We're very glad we took the tour because it was great to get an intimate experience in the canal. But there are a few things we want to mention.

I agree that the back portion of the middle deck is the best place to park yourself to see everything. Our experience was a bit different than ArkCruiser in that there WERE speakers here. The PA system was entirely too loud for the entire trip. There was no way to speak to your "neighbor" while the guide was speaking. You really couldn't get away from the loudness anywhere. Be prepared for this possibility.

We got up early to see the passage through Gatun Locks while on Galaxy. There was a guide onboard who gave all kinds of great information over the Galaxy's PA system. Then we got off the ship and onto a bus that took us to the ferry, about a one-hour ride. During the entire bus trip, there was a guide onboard who repeated all of the information given on the ship.

We got onto the ferry and again there was a guide who gave all the same information. Hey! We were ready for the quiz by now: France, US, Malaria, Continental Divide, Carter Administration... Unfortunately,the guide just did not have any quiet time at all. It was constant facts (about things you really didn't need to know) in lieu of some tranquil time floating down the canal. For instance, every tug boat that came into view (there are alot), you got the details on its horsepower, the origin of its name, etc. The guide had to be really tired and thirsty after 8 solid hours of talking!

I recommend taking the ferry tour with a few tips:

1. Bring a snack...candy bars or some packaged snack items from home. They serve a box lunch early on, but it's a big roll with a little meat and a muffin on the side. They do provide all the free Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite and bottled water you can drink. (And there is a bathroom if you take them up on that.)

2. Bring some cards! We had a ton of downtime waiting for the ship we shared the locks with. Sometimes we circled the canal waiting. Lots of waiting. And continuous guide banter during that waiting time. You'll want to pay attention to what's going on, but if you're sitting or circling...you also might want something to keep you busy. You may not actually be able to have a conversation if you have a lull in the action because the guide may feel the need to make sure you're getting all the information they can provide.

3. If you're bringing young kids prepare to keep them occupied. It's not an "entertaining" excursion that youngsters would necessarily enjoy.

You should also be aware that the return ride from ferry drop off to Cristobal will likely include a guide giving you a refresher course on all of the information you've learned that day. Just in case you missed something. They really aim to please.

Our tour was unusually long and our guides kept apologizing for the delays, so perhaps our experience with information overload and downtime was unique. We never got an explanation for why the tour was so long. Luckily it was a ship-sponsored excursion so they LITERALLY held the ship for us and made arrangements for early diners (who'd missed their seating) to dine at the late seating.

All said, I would be willing to do this tour again with snacks and playing cards! There's just no other way to see the canal and its inner workings without doing this. It's really a marvel of man's ingenuity and it's pretty sobering to be on that little vessel with a huge ship floating with you in the locks.

Have a fun time!

Hey, Chick's pal, thanks for the great advice and information on the ferry tour. We'll be taking this tour around the end of February, and will be sure to bring the snacks and cards (and maybe some earplugs??;))

I'm under the impression that Celebrity does not allow independent tours from Gatun Lake.

The reasoning is that X is anchored in the middle of the lake. To get off the ship you need to take a tender. X is paying for these tenders so it doesn't make economic sense that they would ferry passengers to shore for free and then hand them over to competitors. I can see where X might allow independent tours if the operators had their own tenders. In which case, it would be just a coordination problem between Celebrity and the operator.

I'm under the impression that Celebrity does not allow independent tours from Gatun Lake.

The reasoning is that X is anchored in the middle of the lake. To get off the ship you need to take a tender. X is paying for these tenders so it doesn't make economic sense that they would ferry passengers to shore for free and then hand them over to competitors.

This happens at every other port where the ship is required to tender for whatever reason. Why would Panama be an exception???
I can see where X might allow independent tours if the operators had their own tenders. In which case, it would be just a coordination problem between Celebrity and the operator.
I understand the logic, but then it would be equally appropriate to apply this to all cruise lines, and ... well, contact Gold Coast as did I or the other outfit. You needn't take my word for it. They have standing agreements with several cruise lines.

You can take a tender off the ship at any "other" port (at the ship's expense) that is tendered, regardless of whether or not you've got a tour planned. That isn't the issue in Panama. In fact, Panama is the oddest duck of any port I've ever visited in the Americas when it comes to keeping the touristas from wandering off. I begin to wonder if they're a bit insecure about how the locals will treat them. The ships are quite aware of this, and to get a tender, you'll need to have the bit of paper obtained on your behalf by the private tour agency indicating that you've been cleared for arrival and will be in the hands of a licensed operator.

If you've made the trip down, you'll also be aware of the peculiar security situation at the port itself. Try wandering into town on your own sometime from Cristobal pier. Really strange.

This happens at every other port where the ship is required to tender for whatever reason. Why would Panama be an exception???

You're right about the tenders. But my thinking is that, as you stated, Panama is a strange duck. In other ports, tenders take you to some economic zone that the cruise ship has financial interests in (i.e., shops). There is really nothing around Gatun Lake to tender to - unless it is to some excursion.

Absolutely, take the ferry tour. We had a great guide and a great time.

Archived