Transportation Challenged

We're cruising in and out of Hamburg in Aug 2018, leaving from Steinwerder and arriving back to Altona (If I read it correctly). It's the NCL Jade, Aug 5-12th. I want to book train tickets on the 12th from Hamburg to Berlin and it looks like quite a discount for booking ahead. NCL says we disembark at 8am. What is the earliest you would book the train? Is there easy transportation from the cruise terminal to the train station? Thank you!

i took the train (ICE) from Nuremberg to Hamburg a while back so this is based on that experience plus generag cruise ...

I'd book the train after noon, or close to (depending on schedule). You'' probably get their a good bit earlier but IME if it is your first time in a big EU train station just finding your way around can be a bit intimidating! We were on a land trip and did a 'recon' walk thru the departing train station the day b4. Had we not learned our way around the stress level may have defeated us!!! Arrival time for the train is a consideration also but as your ride is a good bit shorter than ours your ride should only be a couple of hours (assuming an 'express') a noon ish train gets you to Belin in mid afternoon ...

We departed Hamburg via QM2 from a hotel at DAMMTOR station to Strandkai dock, about 1.5 miles. Taxi was easy and reasonable cost (don't remember what .... it was not 'memorable')

Your distance appears to be half mine ....

we booked in advance, first class and enjoyed the ride. It was clean, efficient and on time to the minute!

The train station in Altona is also a regional and long distance train station, and if you take a taxi, it's only a few minutes away from the Altona Cruise Center. So if you book your ticket from Altona to Berlin, you can give yourself an hour to get there and you'll be early. You could walk it in under a half hour.

If I were you though, I'd go to Altona train station, and buy a day ticket and enjoy Hamburg before heading out to Berlin!