Panama canal cruise: best places to buy alcohol/coffee/jewelery etc...

motherchic

We are going on the Summit 14 day Panama canal cruise and would appreciate any tips you can give on where to buy alcohol/coffee/jewelery etc...

I really enjoy doing the research ahead of time but I have gone to the individual ports of call without finding much

I know i will buy Agatha perfume in Aruba, did so last time per a recommendation from this board and it was wonderful.

Many thanks

nadine

We are going on the Summit 14 day Panama canal cruise and would appreciate any tips you can give on where to buy alcohol/coffee/jewelery etc...

I really enjoy doing the research ahead of time but I have gone to the individual ports of call without finding much

I know i will buy Agatha perfume in Aruba, did so last time per a recommendation from this board and it was wonderful.

Many thanks

nadine

We had our guide in Jamaica make a recommendation. In the larger ports, there are a few very reasonably priced spots there that do a lot of cruise ship business and will actually deliver directly to the ship (you'll get it on the last evening of the cruise) to save you the possible hassles at the pier.

As for coffee, again, we trusted our guide (Oscar) to make recommendations in Costa Rica last year. That's one place where you'll surely want to consider a coffee purchase if you've got the time.

Wish I were joining you to do another full transit! Had to settle for just the Gatun locks this time around.

Many thanks

nadine

I don't know if Celebrity has the same desal as RCCL but RCCl has a deal with Cafe Britt for Costa Rican coffee 20 12 oz bags ( we buy Tarazu and Tres Rios) for $99 no tax no shipping

You can also get some good deals at the dock in Costa Rica.

We had gotten that deal from Cafe Britt on Princess last spring. Great deal, and the coffee was here when we got home. Since we will be on the Galaxy for the New Years cruise, I emailed Cafe Britt and they said they will be offering the same deal on Celebrity ships. Sure hope so, we are counting on it.

Here's another vote for the Cafe Britt :) You can also get it at some of the kiosks set up close to the dock in some of the ports. It's a tad cheaper there, but I wonder at the pre-purchase storage of the coffee. The ship's deal is good as well as the internet after the fact.

While I was on an excursion in Panama my husband walked into the Colon2000 terminal and found amazing bargains on liquor and beer that were not offered on the ship. 6 pack of Grosch beer for $2.95, liter of Drambuie for $22. They let him bring them aboard. Didn't make him wait til the last night to get them. Cozumel had some pretty good prices, about the same as on the ship.

Any recommend on where or what brand to get?
As you'll have noted, the Britt seems to be one of the real favorites. Volio is very nice, too. They have a dark roast that I prefer.

Costa Rican coffee tends to be fairly mild and well balanced. The talk about a "classic cup of coffee", and the best stuff from CR is exactly that.

Here's another vote for the Cafe Britt :) You can also get it at some of the kiosks set up close to the dock in some of the ports. It's a tad cheaper there, but I wonder at the pre-purchase storage of the coffee. The ship's deal is good as well as the internet after the fact.

This is for delivery after you get home - usually 5 business days.

When we placed our third re-order they included a lovely wood sculpture - great folks to do business with.

The stuff on the pier - don't remember the brand - but the aroma will get ya every time - it's all pretty good. The woman we bought from said $5.. for one 2 for $7.50 3 for $10 and if you buy 3 she will give you the 4th free so I had 4 there plus one we bought on the train across Panama plus the 20 we bought from Cafee Britt - Made great Christmas Presents too

We just did 2 weeks Panama canal in Summit.

Here it is:

Coffee: best is in Costa Rica- Cruise line offer for Britt coffee - $119.00 / 20 12 oz bags with free shipping. Just got my box this week. If you do not mind to carry it - in local supermarket - $1.30-$2.00 for

250g bags. We bought a few bags - it was not Britt, but still very good.

Liquor and cigars or cigaretts - Cristobal pier shopping - Marlboro red -1 ct - $16.00, 5 cts - $70.00, Absolute is about the same what is on board.

We did not buy any bottles this time, but a lot of people did.

Jewelry- no bargains on fine jewelry. 18 K gold was at good price - about$20-$25 /gram. Mexico had some good prices on silver.

That was a great cruise.

Have fun

Thanks everyone. The Wife is a coffee maven it would be nice to pick some up for her.

And the Colon2000 terminal should not be hard to find.

Actually, it might not be all that simple to reach the Colon2000 pier unless you can book a private tour and have your guide/driver take you there.

To get off the ship in Gatun lake, you'll need to provide evidence of a ship's tour or a sanctioned private tour. The Cristobal pier, where all cruise tours for your Galaxy itinerary will end (and where you meet the ship), is still a ways from Colon City which is a down the little peninsula there a bit, and you'll have no ability to wander outside of the security area of the Cristobal pier on your own. For whatever reason, they clamp down on this pretty severely in Panama. I've always wondered why.

If you need info on possible private tours and how these can be accomplished, let me know.

Archived