Copenhagen: Cruise Terminal Parking? (RCL)

We live in Germany, and are planning to drive to our RCL Norwegian Fjords cruise this May. We first planned to park our car at a friend's house and catch a ride to the port, but they may not be home. In this case, we'd have to park the car somewhere in Copenhagen.

So, I was wondering if anyone had any tips or info for parking a car for a week during our cruise. A little internet search has yielded.... little. I read there are about 200 parking spaces at Ocean Quay for an unbelievable 75 Euros a week. Is it realistic to think we can get a spot there? I'd love to be able to book a parking space in advance. The last thing we want is to hunt around the city for a parking spot, or pay out the nose.

I read that you can't prebook parking spots at the cruise ship terminal. I've only passed there once, and it was practically empty. But this was in the fall you probably can't use that information for anything.

Outside the centre of Copenhagen, streetparking is free. So you might just park your car in Hellerup for instance. On the eastern side of the railroad between Svanemøllen station and Hellerup station there are a lot of embassies and usually police patrol there often, especially around the Israeli embassy. So I suppose that is a very low risk area for car theft (which is uncommon in Denmark anyways). Then you could take public transport to the cruise port (24 DKK pr person) or a taxi (100-150 DKK).

There are other places you can prebook parking spaces, but prices tend to be higher: usually around 30 EUR pr 24 hours.

I read that you can't prebook parking spots at the cruise ship terminal. I've only passed there once, and it was practically empty. But this was in the fall you probably can't use that information for anything.

Outside the centre of Copenhagen, streetparking is free. So you might just park your car in Hellerup for instance. On the eastern side of the railroad between Svanemøllen station and Hellerup station there are a lot of embassies and usually police patrol there often, especially around the Israeli embassy. So I suppose that is a very low risk area for car theft (which is uncommon in Denmark anyways). Then you could take public transport to the cruise port (24 DKK pr person) or a taxi (100-150 DKK).

There are other places you can prebook parking spaces, but prices tend to be higher: usually around 30 EUR pr 24 hours.

Thanks for the info, Frederik! To park in Hellerup sounds like a good plan, if we don't get a space at the cruise terminal. One question about that though: if my husband were to drop us off at the cruise, and then drive by himself to Hellerup and back to the cruise with public transport --- how long would that take, about? And another question: If we did park in Hellerup, would no one call the police, angry that some random Germans have parked in front of their house for a week? And even if they did or didn't, it's not illegal for a visitor to park so long?

Thanks for the info, Frederik! To park in Hellerup sounds like a good plan, if we don't get a space at the cruise terminal. One question about that though: if my husband were to drop us off at the cruise, and then drive by himself to Hellerup and back to the cruise with public transport --- how long would that take, about? And another question: If we did park in Hellerup, would no one call the police, angry that some random Germans have parked in front of their house for a week? And even if they did or didn't, it's not illegal for a visitor to park so long?

It would take around 10 minutes to drive there from the terminal, and then around 25-30 minutes to go from Hellerup/Svanemøllen station to Oceankaj (s-train+bus). You can check www.journeyplanner.dk for public transport.

At the stations you can buy the ticket in the machines with credit cards or in the 7elevens at the station. If you take a bus, you can only pay with cash. One ticket is 24 DKK and covers both the s-train and the bus.

It is completely legal to park for foreign cars as well. If there are restrictions, there will be signs saying so (e.g. time limit etc). So you should just follow normal common sense: not parking at intersections, in front of driveways etc.

Most of the houses are quite big (hence why they are used as embassies) so there will be plenty of parking space.

If you are not comfortable with it there is a parking lot besides Hellerup station at Esthersvej without restrictions.

Edited by frederik123456

Thanks Danish viking and Fredrik.

Yes parking at the airport would also be an idea, I'll check that out. We are also looking at possibly taking the train. We are lucky in that we don't have to pay for fuel. But we would have to pay to cross the bridge, and we'd have to pay for the parking (my husband was very skeptical about parking on the street). We could take Deutsche Bahn, but I don't know how easy it is to get to the port from the central station. We have a four year old and a baby, plus all our luggage.

I really hope our friends will just be home!

Well, we've sorted out what we are going to do. We will drive to the port, and my husband will let me, our kids, and our luggage out. He will then drive to the airport, and park in the long term parking lot there. Then he will take either public transport or a taxi to the port, depending on how much time he has. We reserved a parking spot at the airport, it was only about 300 Kr for the week.

Thank you very much Frederik and DanishViking for your ideas!

Public transportation will be easier.

A taxi is well over 300 kroner but the train/bus ticket is only 36 kroner.

Take the Øresund train towards Nivå or Helsingør to Østerport station and catch bus 25 or 27 from there and out to the cruiseport.

Just remember to use the pedestrian bridge at the far side of the platform and walk right to reach the bus stop.