Norway Coastal Cruise

water-rat

We took the trip on Nordnorge, 7-00, at the time one of their newer ships. They have added some newbuilds since then.

We had an outside double, and thought it about the equivalent in size and furnishings as the mainstream ships we see in the States.

Food leaned to Norwegian/Scandinavian (lots of fish), but you could order ala carte, at extra cost, if you desired. Although I am a relatively picky eater, I had no problems on the ship. For light snacks outside the dining room there was pizza available, along with hot dogs & chips, etc.

They are working ships, and do not have all the glitz of a cruise ship - very basic. Stops in various ports are often short, but you can get off and stretch your legs.

The scenery is the highlight of the cruise. Norwegian fjords and glaciers look very different than those we have seen in Alaska and New Zealand.

We went on a package, from Grand Circle Travel (an off-shoot of AARP), and it included a pre-cruise stay in Kirkenes (far North), close to the Russian and Finnish borders, a reindeer meal with Sammi (laplander) villagers, and a post-cruise stay in Bergen - a beautiful city.

If you have any specific questions, I will try to answer them.

We took the 17 day Grand Norway from Norwegian Coastal Voyages in May. Here's our review with the address for our pictures at the end of the review.

it was one of the best trips we have taken out of 23 so far. We would recommend it to anyone and we would do it again. Will try to answer any questions if you email me at thirdparty@tampabay.rr.com

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=189561

• 2 weeks later...

My mother and I went on the Midnatsol last year - she's one of the new Millennium ships and I was quite impressed with the ship, which was well designed for what it did.

I had a suite at the rear, and my mother had a cabin much lower down as she was worried about the movement. Both were very well done, although the suite had curtains that were hopelessly inadequate during the period of midnight sun! Odd really, given the time they spent there. When the ship was manoevering it was shaking a lot at the rear - podded propulsion - and you certainly knew that the ship was docking. Not quite what I am used to with Cunard.

Food was disappointing. Very little choice, save at lunchtime, although there was nothing different about lunch each day. I got very bored of it. Had I been doing the round trip I would have found it offputting.

However, the ship isn't about food in the way that Cunard is - they are two very different things. I enjoyed the Midnatsol, and would recommend her to anyone providing you are able to live with the food and realise that there is no entertainment on board at all, save the scenery. No problem for me, but might be for others.

Archived