Desperately need your opinion

mlymd

I sympathize with your husband, I had open heart surgery two years ago 2 weeks before a cruise. I hope he is doing well. Since you are a loyal customer, you should plead your case to upper management. They may be more sympathetic and have the authority to do something for you. Your husband is probably in cardiac rehab now, it is a long hard recovery, but should get back to normal by your next cruise.

I'm sorry for your husband's condition but hope his health will improve.

As for Princess, I am not sure they will do anything because of the lack of insurance. HOWEVER, have you ever heard of Christopher Elliott? I read his column all the time in the travel section of our Sunday newspaper. He has a website elliott.org . I just went to it. Look near the top and click on contacts. He has a whole section devoted to how to contact company executives and state your case etc. I would read it thoroughly and go from there.

Let us know how things do or do not turn out for you.

I agree and this is whom I would contact. Here is his list of Princess contacts http://www.elliott.org/company-contacts/princess/

Contact his people here: http://www.elliott.org/help/

Good luck!

“dickinson” and “Orlando Vic” have given you a great contact in Christopher Elliott. I read his column every week and he has helped many people with difficult to solve cases.

First of all make sure you email the Princess higher ups so you have a paper trail to follow. If you can’t get things resolved this way you can then contact Chris Elliott to see if he can intervene. I don’t know if he would take on your case but he has many times been successful getting companies to come through for humanitarian reasons.

Good luck and I hope your husband does well.

So rules don't apply? So one should never purchase insurance, because perhaps if you complain enough, someone will give you your money back. This is our society these days, entitlement, its not just for millennials. Quite frankly, why should Princess care because you cruise with them, guess what, they will sell that room regardless if it is to someone who has sailed 50 times, or someone that sails once. Quite frankly, it does them better to have newbies aboard, they are the ones that will be spending the money, and the line doesn't have to worry about providing "free" stuff.

Yes, it is sad that the OP husband had a medical emergency before leaving on holidays, but just because one "neglects" to purchase insurance doesn't mean that they are entitled to something for free. Perhaps one should be more aware of what they have, I am aware that my credit card gives me the insurance, its why I pay $120/year for my card. I am aware that if I am out of the country for longer than 14 days, then I will have to purchase extra insurance. We all make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are expensive or devastating, or just merely annoying.

I apologize if I come off harsh, but I work as a property claims adjuster, and the amount of people that I deal with that feel that something should be covered just because is ridiculous. Or complaints I read on social media because someone has gone into a store, and god forbid, the clerk didn't smile at them or their coffee wasn't filled right to the top. As someone mentioned earlier, you have to be cognizant that you are checking off the box that insurance is not required.

O...And I would be eternally grateful that his problem was found and treated before the cruise rather than having a health emergency on the cruise. Then you would really be in a bad situation without travel insurance!

Continue to count your blessings, as you know it could have been MUCH worse for your DH and lots more $$$. Given prior medical issues, no insurance is a mistake you won't make again. Sending hope for a speedy recovery to your DH.

So rules don't apply? So one should never purchase insurance, because perhaps if you complain enough, someone will give you your money back. This is our society these days, entitlement, its not just for millennials. Quite frankly, why should Princess care because you cruise with them, guess what, they will sell that room regardless if it is to someone who has sailed 50 times, or someone that sails once. Quite frankly, it does them better to have newbies aboard, they are the ones that will be spending the money, and the line doesn't have to worry about providing "free" stuff.

Yes, it is sad that the OP husband had a medical emergency before leaving on holidays, but just because one "neglects" to purchase insurance doesn't mean that they are entitled to something for free. Perhaps one should be more aware of what they have, I am aware that my credit card gives me the insurance, its why I pay $120/year for my card. I am aware that if I am out of the country for longer than 14 days, then I will have to purchase extra insurance. We all make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes are expensive or devastating, or just merely annoying.

I apologize if I come off harsh, but I work as a property claims adjuster, and the amount of people that I deal with that feel that something should be covered just because is ridiculous. Or complaints I read on social media because someone has gone into a store, and god forbid, the clerk didn't smile at them or their coffee wasn't filled right to the top. As someone mentioned earlier, you have to be cognizant that you are checking off the box that insurance is not required.

Well put

According to yags you are a bitter soul who is taking great glea in telling the OP to suck it up :rolleyes:!

Yes, we live in a culture of entitlement. You no longer need to follow the rules because you should be able to talk your way out of the consequences rather than face them. No one is happy to tell the OP what the reality is. And we all hope for the best for her husband. But sometimes you have to take your lumps when you make a mistake and learn from them. If you can whine and talk your way out of every consequence due to not following the rules, then we might as well not have rules. No one should ever have to buy travel insurance because we should be able to talk our way out of the consequences of not having purchased it. I guess those of us who don't take the chance that something bad may happen that could keep us from taking a cruise and actually buy the travel insurance are a bunch of dunces.

Would love to hear from the OP on how her husband is doing and many of us are keeping you in our thoughts and prayers.

And I would be eternally grateful that his problem was found and treated before the cruise rather than having a health emergency on the cruise. Then you would really be in a bad situation without travel insurance!

This is a great point. On our last cruise, we had to clear the deck so the helicopter could land for a medical emergency.

I hope your husband recovers quickly.

I find it sad that a lot of bitter souls on here take great glee in telling you to suck it up and walk away a loser. Never walk away without giving it the best you got. There are things Princess can do to retain your business, as mentioned in above posts. Keep fighting no matter what these sorry souls say. 23 plus cruises, no cruise line wants to lose that kind of customer. They have the power to, at least, restore some of what you lost. don't let these nay sayers convince you to give up. good luck.

Totally agree with the above comment. Now, go to God with a prayer, then go to the top with Princess. Thanks to all and God blessings to all who commented with helpful and positive encouragement.

For those of you who are going to be on the Royal on February 28th, to Eastern Caribbean, Hubby and I will see you then.

To the OP.

By all means give it a try and contact upper management. There is a chance that you might be successful.

At the same be be aware that Princess does not owe you anything in this case. Keeping that in mind be friendly and courteous in both written correspondence and phone calls. Courtesy might gain you an ally, threats will gain you nothing.

If you get nothing, that is not Princesses fault, they have provided the opportunity for insurance to be purchased, and one most choose to decline. Their policy is well defined and stated so there should not be any surprise. Anything that they might choose to give is exactly that a gift.