We won a cruise!!!

d'Isigny

:) We won a cruise!!! :)

First and foremost...many-many thanks for your posts and replies. Your tips/tricks are helping make our 'trip planning' much easier – again, our thanks.

Our office was in competition this year against another. Well...our group out performed the east coast office and we won an all expanses paid cruise. As a compulsive planner…I want to do my research to take full advantage of this nice gift. I've been blessed to support a company - well, that supports my family with more…than just a paycheck. The only (small) regret I have is – this is a non-disney cruise (you will need to excuse me...I am a 'Disney freak').

The tentative schedule is to take a 3-day cruise with Celebrity on the Mercury out of Seattle toward the end of September. The itinerary includes a stop in Vancouver BC and an island named Nanaimo (or is this a Peninsula). This will just be a Mom and I trip as we will be leaving the kids with Grandparents (can I get a YEE HAW!!!).;) I’ve been approved for an additional day off and my company will fly us out a day earlier. We are looking forward in spending some additional ‘couples only time’ ;) in downtown Seattle.

This will be our 6th cruise and the 3rd time Nan and I will be sailing without the kids (how about another - YEE HAW!!!).;) We've sailed on Carnival to Mexico with the rest of our cruises on the Disney Magic/Wonder.

We would appreciate some assistance – suggestions.

I am looking for your advise or web sites to gain an education on things to do and what to expect; downtown Seattle, Celebrity cruises, Vancouver and Nanaimo, Canada. Also, requesting info on a hotel near port - maybe that includes transportation from the airport or to port

First of all congrats on your cruise. When you start searching go to the Canada and Alaska Ports of Call board. Now I realize that Vancouver is in Canada but alot of people post in regards to Canada on the Alaska board. Have a great cruise.

Marilyn

If this is your first time in Seattle...definitley go to Pike Place Market...fun place to go walk around...arts/ crafts/ musicians and lots of fish or course...really pretty location!

We also enjoyed the Space Needle...had a nice lunch up there..the view is incredible.

If you have extra time (a whole day) drive to Mt Ranier Nat'l Park. We enjoyed our day there as much as we enjoyed our Alaska cruise a few years ago...

Congrats on your win!! Just a couple of things - Nanaimo is not an island although it is on Vancouver Island. Nanaimo is a city in the middle of the island. I was born and raised a few miles south of there. I have no idea what kind of tours the ship may offer. There is a bungy jump over the Nanaimo River - most famous for the weekend they offer free jumps for anyone willing to do it nude!! There is a small town called Chemainus that has made quite a name for itself. Used to be a large sawmill there but when it shutdown in the '80's the town reinvented itself into the little town that could. Painted large murals on all the buildings in town and built a large theatre where they do dinner shows. Has turned the town into a huge tourist attraction.

As for a day in Vancouver, there is a ton of stuff to do. Gastown, Stanley Park, Grouse Mt, Capilano Suspension Bridge, Van Duesen Gardens or just for a hoot you can ride their "skytrain" - it's Vancouver's transit system and it's all above ground. Most is accessible right from the cruise ship terminal which is something in itself. Hope you enjoy!!

Quick question.... if it's an all expenses paid trip, does it have to be only three days?

Hey Cruise Junky - I am not sure if we could use the booking and add to it - i.e., taking a longer cruise. As much as I'd rather do a week long cruise...that would prob not be the best 'business decision'. This is the second cruise I've won with this company...and for them to 'write it off'...we are required (ok - strongly requested) to attend an hour long meeting/awards presentation. Hey, it's my kind of meeting...the bar tab will be picked up by our general manager and the awards are usually CA$H.

Nanaimo is not an island although it is on Vancouver Island. Nanaimo is a city in the middle of the island.

Cathi - thanks for correcting me...I was not sure. Appreciate the suggestions on what to do at port. Thanks for the 'areas of interest' to research.

definitley go to Pike Place Market

mkk - I've looked into Pike Place Market and am really-really looking forward in spending some time there. If you don't mind me asking - how pricey is 'lunch or dinner at the Space Needle'?

Well - happy holidays to all...thank you for your replies...appreciate it/you. K

Vancouver is a mind-boggling city. We spent a week there before our Inside passage cruise and it is my favorite city ever! Stanley Park is beautiful with it's gardens and Aquarium. Granville Island has a great marketplace with local foods that are really good. Gastown was really neat and full of shopping. Robson St. is Vancouver's shopping mecca for upscale everything. Canada Place (the cruiseship port) is in of itself kind of a tourist attraction. Beautiful terminal!!! Cosmopolitan Vancouver is right outside of the terminal, so enjoy! I'm so jealous.:(

With limited time you may want to get a flavor of several of the places being mentioned to you like Gastown (check out the steam clock) and Stanley Park. Vancouver has a narrated trolley tour circuit you can take for not much money (around $15 if memory serves) to visit all of these places. You can get off and on the trolley at will. It (they, since there are many trolleys making the circuit, kind of like a bus route) makes many stops at attractions around the city and you can pick it up at many of the hotels in the city (including Canada Place). Since you can get of and on at will, you can pretty much plan your own time at each point of interest and make it your schedule, not theirs.

Also, there is a sticky thread on this board called "Celebrity Secrets They Usually Don't Tell You About" that may have some good tips for you.

Vancouver is a mind-boggling city. We spent a week there before our Inside passage cruise and it is my favorite city ever! Stanley Park is beautiful with it's gardens and Aquarium. Granville Island has a great marketplace with local foods that are really good. Gastown was really neat and full of shopping. Robson St. is Vancouver's shopping mecca for upscale everything. Canada Place (the cruiseship port) is in of itself kind of a tourist attraction. Beautiful terminal!!! Cosmopolitan Vancouver is right outside of the terminal, so enjoy! I'm so jealous.:(

Thank you :)

Archived