Recommendation: Day plans for Falmouth (family of 4, kids 9 and 14)

Newfie Girl

We've been to most ports in the Caribbean but never Falmouth. We are looking for recommendations for an excursion for a family of 4, including kids 9 and 14. We like beaches, zip lining...we're actually pretty open too options. I'm concerned about safety in Jamaica so a reputable company and something whereby there will be other people around (I don't want a private tour of any kind.) Thanks in advance!

I would recommend you book through your cruise line. You might want to check out the US Travel Advisories on Jamaica as well.

There is really not much close to Falmouth so any excursion involves time travelling to and from your excursion destination.

At the Port there are the regular array of port shops as well as a Margarita Villa with a pool.

Hopefully someone else can give you some information on good excursions.

we decided to book an all inclusive day pass to a resort near Falmouth- Royalton Sands. You can book day passes through Shore Excursioneer. I'll be there in a month- haven't been yet- but the reviews sound promising. I was weighing the risk/safety kind of thing between a cruise line excursion vs. this. The cruise line stuff is all near Ocho Rio which is about an hour's drive each way. I didn't want that much travel time. This resort involved only 15 min travel time, and the company picks you up within the secure port location, so that made me feel better.... it's a tough decision.

I know everyone says Jamaica is a scary, dangerous place. We have been there 11 times. We have done private tours every time and have never felt the least bit in danger. Just my opinion, but it would be a shame to miss the falls when you are just an hour away. We love Cool Dave and have done both falls many times. A few months ago, we had an awesome day. We went to Dunn's Falls. We visited the beach at the base of the falls. Then, we climbed the falls twice and the kids had lots of time to play under the waterfalls. We climb on our own - no guide, much more fun taking your time and taking lots of photos. Also, Dave is ready the minute you get off the ship, so you beat the other tours to the falls. Once all the massive buses get there it gets much more crowded. Here's some pics of our day. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2593070

We just returned from Oasis cruise (2/18 to 2/25) with a stop in Falmouth. Through shoreexecursioneer.com we bought day passes at Royalton White Sands. No problem with taxi/shuttle to resort - streets were fine - drove through industrial areas, urban and poor areas. Didn't feel threatening in any way for family of four (2 adults and 2 teens). Royalton White Sands was a great hotel - very clean, uptodate. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Beach area not the best, in this case a little too windy and water was rough, but the pool areas, the lazy river, the kids swim area were great. Drinks were included and the bartenders didn't serve kids alcohol, but made nice drinks for the adults. We didn't eat in the buffet, but did visit the jerk hut (whole chickens, well cooked) - chef chopped one chicken into quarters and then diced up to put into little plastic containers, a fork, some potatoes and some jerk sauce - excellent. We had some ice cream, but all the flavors tasted the same. Bathrooms were very clean - in our stay, the men's room was cleaned twice.

Shuttle took us back and a nice walk through the port area for shopping. No hard sell, no intimidation. A nice port, don't worry, as long as you think smart, you should be fine.

We just returned from Oasis cruise (2/18 to 2/25) with a stop in Falmouth. Through shoreexecursioneer.com we bought day passes at Royalton White Sands. No problem with taxi/shuttle to resort - streets were fine - drove through industrial areas, urban and poor areas. Didn't feel threatening in any way for family of four (2 adults and 2 teens). Royalton White Sands was a great hotel - very clean, uptodate. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Beach area not the best, in this case a little too windy and water was rough, but the pool areas, the lazy river, the kids swim area were great. Drinks were included and the bartenders didn't serve kids alcohol, but made nice drinks for the adults. We didn't eat in the buffet, but did visit the jerk hut (whole chickens, well cooked) - chef chopped one chicken into quarters and then diced up to put into little plastic containers, a fork, some potatoes and some jerk sauce - excellent. We had some ice cream, but all the flavors tasted the same. Bathrooms were very clean - in our stay, the men's room was cleaned twice.

Shuttle took us back and a nice walk through the port area for shopping. No hard sell, no intimidation. A nice port, don't worry, as long as you think smart, you should be fine.

Thanks for the feedback- we have this same day planned at the end of the month- glad to hear it went well. Were there any issues with the timing of the trip back to the port? Were they pretty flexible?

At front desk check in ask the rep. She arranged the transportation back. Van was ready and took eight of us back to port. We had to leave drivers licenses w them, and at front gate, security returned our cards to us at exit.

We went back at 4. Gangplank up at 530. We shopped and walked the area. Driver returns to a secure area and you weave your way back to boat. Not direct as the mall has you winding through their shops to spend your cash. Very touristy, but safe and nice walk to security.