Storing luggage in San Juan before flying home

Merrokean

My husband and I will be on the Consteallation Jan. 14 cruise from San Juan. Our flight back to NY on Jan. 21 is not until 3 PM and we would love to just walk around San Juan for a few hours after docking. Is there anywhere to leave luggage, for a fee, of course, so we can do this unencumbered? Also, we do not have ship transfers so need to know how much time to leave ourselves for getting back to the airport. Many thanks for any help you can offer.

The Constellation has some sort of deal going on if you are flying with American Airlines. You can check with guest relations about this. It will cost $15 per passenger and you have to be off of the ship by 8:30 AM. Your luggage has to be claimed by you and then it is checked in at the pier. You won't see your luggage again until you go to baggage claim in NY. We got our luggage tags, baggage claim tickets and boarding passes the night before the cruise ended. There are certain criteria to qualify for this program, but we found it to be worth the extra money.

Your other option is to take a cab to the Sheraton in Old San Juan and check you baggage for the day. Shopping downtown is minutes away from the Sheraton. Allow yourself 2 hrs if you have to check in your luggage at the airport. The lines are generally huge and you have to put your luggage on a conveyor belt to be screened before you can actually get in line to check in. If you qualify for the special program it will be a breeze. You will need to be at the airport about 1 hour before, since you will have your boarding passes and will just have to go through security.

Good luck and enjoy yoour cruise,

Gem;)

I would leave an hour to get to the airport...traffic can be brutal. Plus at least 90 minutes to check in.

I can't recall, but I believe that there is a jewelry store that will store luggage for you. This should be indicated on the shopping map for San Juan. I thought I had saved the shopping maps from SJ, but I didn't.

I think the name is something like Barrequa jewelers....maybe another poster will know. And maybe I am not remembering correctly, sorry......

The El Convento Hotel in old San Juan held our luggage. The Valet did not charge us, but we did tip the guy. They have a locked area, they were very polite. We took it there and picked it back up, they even called us a taxi so we could go right to the airport when we were finished walking around.

Archived