Magic

DCLCrazy

Isn’t the Magic in dry dock right now? Does anyone know if there are changes being made to the concierge area? Has anyone sailed concierge on the magic? Can you give me a run down of amenities not normally listed on various blogs?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes, the Magic is currently in dry dock. No, there has been no announcement about any changes in concierge areas that I'm aware of, but small changes are not typically announced.

The big announcement for this dry dock is the transformation from Carioca's to Rapunzel's restaurant. I also learned that they are installing the "on demand" TV system that has always been on the Fantasy (no big announcement about this...but we didn't understand why it didn't happen at the last dry dock). There will likely be changing out carpeting, reupholstering furniture in public areas, repainting, etc. as well as the mandated engine inspections and work.

Yes, many people sail concierge on the Magic every week. Yes, been there.

I'm not sure what you are looking for as to "amenities not listed on common blogs." The benefits of the various levels of concierge cabins are documented on the DCL site. In reality, the concierge staff will basically do anything they can (and are permitted to) in order to make your cruise what you want it to be without violating policies.

For instance, if you are in a one bedroom suite, they cannot have a Palo dinner served in your cabin (as you were hoping for on your thread of yesterday). But they can arrange for you to have essentially as many reservation nights in Palo as you might want for the adults in your group. They cannot arrange for you to take "under 18s" to Palo. The concierge will happily provide cans of soda even though it is not "happy hour." They will sometimes make a smoothie, even though it isn't the right time. They are not likely to provide you with a mixed drink. They will provide more toiletries, even though they suspect you are packing them to take home. They will make corresponding reservations for excursions/Palo/Remy for family members on linked reservations, even though those individuals technically need to wait another month before being able to make such reservations on their own (they understand that you want those individuals with you.) There is no need to ever go to Guest Services--the concierge can take care of all those sorts of issues. They can arrange golf cart transportation from the ship to an excursion bus or Castaway Cay location for mobility impaired guests; they are far less likely to do this for the able bodied but entitled guest who might request it. (there are only so many golf carts and so much time). Want something special at dinner? It can be arranged within reason (they'll need to have the ingredients available and the time to do it). Reservations that you didn't request in advance--they can probably be arranged on day 1, possibly not at your ideal time. Wait till day 3 to ask--you'll be told what is available.

Bottom line, you can ask for anything you want--they will do what they can to make it work for you

I sailed Magic (once) & Dream (3X) concierge. I sailed Magic concierge before the refit, and since there was no concierge lounge at first, I booked the Dream from then on due to the dedicated lounge, sun deck area, and such, and the availability of 2 adult restaurants instead of one. Since we do not eat in the Main Dining Rooms, the lounge & adult restaurants were very nice for us.

I am sailing on the Magic again next year since they now have a dedicated lounge and an itinerary I want. The mixed drink info from above is not correct though, as the policy changed in the last few years, and instead of a small happy hour before early seating, and a small happy hour before late seating, they now do a general cocktail time from about 6-9, I think it was (or 5-8?) I cannot remember now. They do indeed have a bartender there who will make you a Manhattan, a Negroni, a gin and tonic, etc. If they have the ingredients you can order mixed drinks. They also serve wines, champagne, and beers for those 3 hours and have light pre-dinner bites available. If you have stayed in Club level at deluxe Disney resorts, then you will get the idea on the food.

We ordered a room service hot breakfast (omelets, etc.) each night before bed. I cannot tell if you it is "way better" than the Classic ships since concierge, as when I was aboard her, the Magic was without a dedicated lounge. If you want to see the Classic ship concierge lounge as it is now, then check it on YouTube.

I don't know that it is that much smaller or if the sun deck is either. It did not really matter much to us, though we did use both quite often. There were never more than about 6 people on the sun deck and always a table in the lounge when we wanted to go. We book a one bedroom suite because I sail Disney with my mom and we each like our own bathroom and separate sleeping areas, 2 TV's etc. The concierge perks make the suite very appealing. That being said, I would probably not book a regular concierge stateroom since I do not know if that would be worth the cost, but since we always book 1 bedrooms it has not really mattered. You are automatically concierge if you book a suite. There isn't really anything "hidden" about what they offer. The special little things they have done for us have always just been out of kindness rather than us asking for extras.

I think you mis-read my response. I said NOTHING about the bar tender. What I was commenting on was the CONCIERGE making a smoothie for a kid when it was not during the happy hours (when the bartender is there.) I have seen the concierge do this; I have never seen the concierge make a mixed drink for an adult guest. As far as I know, those are available only during the bartender's hours.

DCL Crazy, the concierge lounge and sun deck was an original feature on the Dream and Fantasy. It was a retrofit on the Magic I see the issue on the Magic as not so much one of size (there are fewer concierge level guests on the Magic, fewer guests total, and many things are smaller due to fewer users), as the somewhat awkward location of the concierge lounge. I suspect the location would have been better had it been part of the original design. But they had to work with available spaces and they didn't want to rip out any concierge cabins to make a lounge.

Yes, suites are automatically concierge. On the Fantasy there are also cabins that are designated as concierge--these are really cat 4 cabins that have all the concierge perks. It seems there are people who want the perks but not the space...or maybe it was a way to sell more concierge bookings.

As to the Magic vs. the bigger ships, my answer is simple. I'm really not interested in Caribbean or Bahamian cruises. Been there, done that. I shop by itinerary first, then dates....then cruise line and cabin availability. I'm not likely to book a cruise that I really am not interested in just because I can get my favorite suite.

Edited by moki'smommy

Another thing to consider is that other cruise lines offer far more perks for suite guests than DCL. Don't get me wrong, we like DCL. But other lines give more for the money.

Examples include, in addition to some munchies, robes, enhanced toiletries, priority boarding, tendering, and a happy hour, a stocked mini bar, laundry/dry cleaning service, internet, a butler who will pack and unpack for you (ok, I find that one a little creepy), preferred dining/dining rooms (essentially totally upgraded for the cruise), complimentary specialty restaurant on embarkation night, a special upgraded room service menu, etc.

What they don't offer is a preferred character meet and greet.

The deck plan for the Magic now reflects Concierge Family Oceanview Stateroom with Verandah - essentially a regular Stateroom with upgraded wood finishes and concierge service. Was this added prior to the dry Dock?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Another thing to consider is that other cruise lines offer far more perks for suite guests than DCL. Don't get me wrong' date=' we like DCL. But other lines give more for the money.

Examples include, in addition to some munchies, robes, enhanced toiletries, priority boarding, tendering, and a happy hour, a stocked mini bar, laundry/dry cleaning service, internet, a butler who will pack and unpack for you (ok, I find that one a little creepy), preferred dining/dining rooms (essentially totally upgraded for the cruise), complimentary specialty restaurant on embarkation night, a special upgraded room service menu, etc.

What they don't offer is a preferred character meet and greet.[/quote']

Well it’s a moot point now. My husband poo-poo’ed the idea of concierge. [emoji24]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think you mis-read my response. I said NOTHING about the bar tender. What I was commenting on was the CONCIERGE making a smoothie for a kid when it was not during the happy hours (when the bartender is there.) I have seen the concierge do this; I have never seen the concierge make a mixed drink for an adult guest. As far as I know' date=' those are available only during the bartender's hours.

DCL Crazy, the concierge lounge and sun deck was an original feature on the Dream and Fantasy. It was a retrofit on the Magic I see the issue on the Magic as not so much one of size (there are fewer concierge level guests on the Magic, fewer guests total, and many things are smaller due to fewer users), as the somewhat awkward location of the concierge lounge. I suspect the location would have been better had it been part of the original design. But they had to work with available spaces and they didn't want to rip out any concierge cabins to make a lounge.

Yes, suites are automatically concierge. On the Fantasy there are also cabins that are designated as concierge--these are really cat 4 cabins that have all the concierge perks. It seems there are people who want the perks but not the space...or maybe it was a way to sell more concierge bookings.

As to the Magic vs. the bigger ships, my answer is simple. I'm really not interested in Caribbean or Bahamian cruises. Been there, done that. I shop by itinerary first, then dates....then cruise line and cabin availability. I'm not likely to book a cruise that I really am not interested in just because I can get my favorite suite.[/quote']

I suppose I did misread it, because when I think of "concierge" level, I think of it as the full staff in the lounge including the bartenders and people who are attending the area with the drinks and snacks, as well as the three main staff members manning the desk.

DCL crazy I hope you enjoy your next trip - with the exception of Cunard Grills, DCL suites are probably the most expensive larger market ship at sea. I booked a HAL suite to Alaska which had some similar attributes to DCL suites - lounge, drinks at times, room service, etc. and was definitely cheaper. But we felt it was such subpar service and atmosphere compared to Disney/Cunard, we will not go back. That's just one person's opinion though!