Cobh - shore excursion - pre book private tour or hire local cab?

Hello,

We decided against doing parts of the Ring of Kerry private tour because it would just make for a long day in car.

We are now wondering if we should pre book a private tour or just get off the ship and hire a local cab for the day in Cobh port.

We would like to see Kinsale, Garretstown (beach) and possible Timalogue along with a stop in Cork.

We are basically looking for transportation and not so much for a tour guide in those places as we just want to wander around and enjoy the towns and scenery along the way.

Has anyone experience with walking off the ship and taking a local cab in Cobh? Are there typically enough cab's in the port?

What have you paid approx for a 7 - 8 hour tour/taxi?

Any feedback you can share is much appreciated! :D

Hello,

We decided against doing parts of the Ring of Kerry private tour because it would just make for a long day in car.

We are now wondering if we should pre book a private tour or just get off the ship and hire a local cab for the day in Cobh port.

We would like to see Kinsale, Garretstown (beach) and possible Timalogue along with a stop in Cork.

We are basically looking for transportation and not so much for a tour guide in those places as we just want to wander around and enjoy the towns and scenery along the way.

Has anyone experience with walking off the ship and taking a local cab in Cobh? Are there typically enough cab's in the port?

What have you paid approx for a 7 - 8 hour tour/taxi?

Any feedback you can share is much appreciated! :D

I’m also interested in the answer to your question!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

If you want to do Cobh you just get off the ship and walk around or go to the Titanic museum or take the hop on off or sign up for a walking tour. Also the train for Cork is right at the port. We did both Not sure about a taxi. We will be there again on the Sernade in April

Ontario Cruiser

I can't remember seeing taxis at the port, but then I wasn't looking for them.

The train is right across the sidewalk from the ship, so you could check to see if it would take you where you want to go.

We stayed in Cobh and had a lovely day with the small Titanic Museum, visiting the local cathedral, talking with locals and shopping. There was a market of handicrafts set up close to the ship, where I bought a hat from the woman that knit it from Irish wool.

There is a company called ‘About Cork Taxi Tours’, that cost €45 an hour with a 5 hour minimum and €360 full day for a regular sized car up to 4 people. I haven’t used them, but I looked into renting a car just to drive around to a few areas as well. They also do a cruise tour, but I wasn’t interested in that so I don’t have the details.

We decided, though to just stay in Cobh. My daughter found quite a few things that look interesting to do, and so decide to save the taxi cost. We are going to take the Spike Island tour which has gotten pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor. It’s something that you can book on your own, and just walk to the ferry dock right in town. Tickets are only €18 each and that includes the guided tour of the prison as well as the ferry ride. The only downside is you have to spend 3 hours there! The ferry is scheduled for both ways, so not much flexibility. We booked a time that if we finished exploring early, we would just eat lunch at the cafe there and enjoy the view.

We are also looking at both the Heritage museum and Titanic museum. The Cathedral is definitely sounds worth the walk up! Hopefully there will be a market in port! I would love to get some hand knit items!

If you want to do Cobh you just get off the ship and walk around or go to the Titanic museum or take the hop on off or sign up for a walking tour. Also the train for Cork is right at the port. We did both Not sure about a taxi. We will be there again on the Sernade in April

Ontario Cruiser

Did you pre- book the walking tour in Cobh?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums