Cabins for 5 of us on a Carnival line ~

stacyinpa

I was wondering if the rep I talked to today was right. She was very pushy in me giving her money down on this cruise I was asking about....anyway, she said the only ships to accomodate 5 were the Victory (which we just got off on 12/25), Triumph and the Destiny that does Southern Carribean.

I then asked about getting 2 rooms and she said the price for the 1 person pays double occupancy rate, so the cruise I asked about would cost my cousin over $2000 for just him. It doesnt matter if I put my dd in there, then it woudl cost ME more cuz 1st and 2nd passenger pay the same rate...3,4 5 (if they let you) are cheaper. So---this trip would cost way more then the Victory..make sense?

I asked her about getting 2 rooms adjoining and she told me Id have to book 3 to get that--doesnt make sense. Maybe I will call tomorrow and get another rep and see what they say. Anyone know what families of 5 do? I mean, I cant imagine a family with 3 children going this route and paying that much.

I do not want to do the Victory again. I want something different.

Can you help me out here?

Thanks a bunch- Stacy

waljs@verizon.net

I was wondering if the rep I talked to today was right. She was very pushy in me giving her money down on this cruise I was asking about....anyway, she said the only ships to accomodate 5 were the Victory (which we just got off on 12/25), Triumph and the Destiny that does Southern Carribean.

I then asked about getting 2 rooms and she said the price for the 1 person pays double occupancy rate, so the cruise I asked about would cost my cousin over $2000 for just him. It doesnt matter if I put my dd in there, then it woudl cost ME more cuz 1st and 2nd passenger pay the same rate...3,4 5 (if they let you) are cheaper. So---this trip would cost way more then the Victory..make sense?

I asked her about getting 2 rooms adjoining and she told me Id have to book 3 to get that--doesnt make sense. IT DOESN"T Maybe I will call tomorrow and get another rep and see what they say I WOULD AND DON'T BOOK UNTIL YOU ARE COMPLETELY SATISFIED. Anyone know what families of 5 do? I mean, I cant imagine a family with 3 children going this route and paying that much.

I do not want to do the Victory again. I want something different.

Can you help me out here?

Thanks a bunch- Stacy

waljs@verizon.net

First, get a new agent that doesn't push you for money before answering all of your questions.

I would not want to go on a cruise with 5 sharing a bathroom (if the 5 passenger stateroom has only one).

Are your children old enough to go 3 in one room and 2 in another and you should be able to get two adjoining, not three.

First - I have to agree, I would talk to someone who was helpful and responsive to your needs rather than someone whom you felt was pushing you around!

That said, I DID sail with 5 in a cabin. I am a single mom of 4 children and on my first cruise I did not feel comfortable having us in seperate cabins.

It is true - you can only have 5 people in a cabin on the "older" ships. There are newer rules that do not allow this however the older ships have a "grandfather clause".

From what I had researched the Victory, Triumph and the Destiny were the 3 ships that suited my needs. While it was possible to do this on the Fantasy class ships etc. , the 3 aforementioned ships had cabins in a 6E category which were slightly larger than other cabins which made it more comfortable for me.

The 5th person is accomodated by a roll-away bed which was folded down and tucked under a bed by day and pulled out by night.

The 6E cabins are OV's and are larger than standard cabins. They often cost more than a balcony cabin but are less money than a suite. the 1st and 2nd Pax pay a certain price and 3rd, 4th and 5th another.

When I did this a couple of years ago 2 cabins was just not a comfortable option for me under the circumstances. Today, with a few cruises under my belt as well as my children (also that they are now older), I would book 2 cabins either next to each other or across the hall.

There is definetly cost issue finesse at play here. Depending on the particular cruise, cabin and people splitting the cots it can be much more cost effective to get a couple of inside cabins vs. a cabin that accomodate 5.

I would definetly look into the deck plans and costs if I were in your situation as well as make sure that the person I was talking to was giving me the best and most accurate info. Personally, I have had a much better experience with my TA vs. PVP in this area.

My brother has three children, could not book 5 to a cabin. We booked two balconies next door to each other. 3 in one 4 in the other. Of course, we had 2 adults already going in the one cabin, so all the kids are paying the same rate.

By the way - depending on when you are sailing and if you qualify for any past passenger discounts, military rate ,etc - we paid $685 for a balcony cabin for each adult with the military rate, my brother paid $635 or $645 for my niece who is booked in my room. He and his wife didn't qualify for the militray rate, but they got a special carnival was running for their state that saved them and their adult rate was $785 per person, kids still the same rate. So as you can see, if the adult rate is low enough, the kid rate is definitely not 1/2 the adult rate.

There are a few Carnival ships that can have five in a cabin. That said, I would not recommend it. You can however get two cabins. One to sleep three and one to sleep two.

With that out of the way, I definitely would find someone else to work with. Bad advise and bad attitude - two bads do not make a good.

We have sailed with 5 (3 generations) in a cabin, both on the Imagination and the Paradise, older ships I know. I suggest you find an agent that will meet your needs. We had no problems with room, showers, anything. We were cruising, what could be better :).

Find a new, HELPFUL rep to work with. One that will take time to recognize that you have questions and special requests. We have sailed with five in a room and are doing it again in March. We have done this on the Paradise when it was out of Miami and will be on the Victory next. It is not impossible or aweful to sail that way - especially when kids are little, what else are you supposed to do?! I didn't find it hard at all - heck, at home it seems that the kids are never that far away from us anyway - we've joked about moving in to a VW Bug cuz they are always right there!! We have sailed on inside cabins with five...no biggie.

Call Carnival back (I am assuming that is who you originally called) and hopefully you will get a better rep on the line. Do some research of what itineraries you like on the older ships...and then find out what ones will accomodate your family.

I am one that subscribes to the fact that we are not in the cabin that much anyway!!! We are in the room to sleep, I really don't care how big it is as long as I am on a ship!!

We did 5 to a cabin on the Sensation. It is doable.

I agree-- find another agent.

you want to compare the price of the 1st passenger to the 3rd passenger.

the 1st and 2nd will pay full price the 3rd, 4th and 5th paying a discount price. Depending on when you want to cruise that discount could be a lot...or it could be only 100.00 cheaper.

For 100 cheaper--- get another cabin. If its a lot of savings then the one cabin is doable.

By putting 5 people in a cabin we saved well over 700.

Do the math-- and do our research

Please allow me to give you the facts:

1 - You CAN put 5 in a cabin on the following Carnival ships: Holiday, Celebration, Fantasy, Ecstasy, Sensation, Fascination, Imagination, Inspiration, Elation, Paradise, Destiny, Triunph & Victory.

2 - You CANNOT put 5 in a cabin on: Spirit, Pride, Legend, Miracle, Conquest, Glory, Valor, Liberty & Freedom.

3 - We have put 5 in a cabin several times. Is it a bit cramped? YES. Is it feasable? YES. Does it save you $$$ when you are on a budget? YOU BETCHA!!!

4 - Is it right for you? Only YOU can answer that. Your TA should be there to assist you and give you all viable options, not pressure you. Find a new TA.

5 - Have a great cruise!

I have done 5 in one cabin, but the kids were all under 12. We now book 2 rooms, the extra bathroom is a necessity now that they are older. We book one balcony and one inside, across the hall within 3-4 doors. I dont know your kids ages, but we also bring our old baby monitor so we can hear whats going on in there and they cant hear us. Hope this helps.

Also try a suite. Maybe the price difference isn't that big. You never know. Good Luck

I have 5 of us going on the Triumph in one room My kids are 12,10, 6. I booked a penthouse suite for us. I hope that is big enought for us. This is the First time for 5 in a room for us. I will post after the cruise and tell how it went. Alex

I've had gerat luck with a Carnival agent named Ray Teet. Not sure of his extension of the top of my head, but he seems to know what he's doing!

terms of service when you signed up on cruise critic-- no mention of any names or agencies

http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm

Archived