Prohibition Party on Oasis

After reading some reviews of the private Prohibition Party on Oasis of the Seas, we decided to give it a try, and even brought along some basic 30's style clothes to wear. I would say about 75% of the attendees dressed up for the party. Just a note - the party (I think we signed up on the Cruise Planner) costs $35/person. It is about a 2 hour party in the Jazz on 4 club. We were excited for the speakeasy atmosphere, but unfortunately, on our cruise, it turned out to be a bit of a dud. There is some entertainment by the 4 piece jazz group onboard. They do provide some EXTREMELY limited hor d'oeuvres. This event was held on a Thursday night, I think, around 10:30 pm. Honestly, I didn't even try the food; it didn't look good to me. They start off by serving you drinks in coffee cups (prohibition style), which was OK. The event was at least partly sponsored by Tanqueray Gin, I think, because the first few drinks were gin-based, which was fine. The problem was, there was a menu of about 8-10 drinks, but the servers didn't ask what they could bring you; they just brought two of each (even if you didn't like the first, they brought you a second), instead of taking your order, based off the drink menu.

The activities team had 2 people there who were fully dressed in costume, and they were there to kind of get the party rolling, get you into the 1930's theme, help act out the story, etc. They even got both the men and the women dancing, at one point, as groups, kind of showing how to do the Charleston, etc. The problem was, it seemed like they felt a little bit silly leading the guests, and they also seemed like they didn't quite get the whole plot of the evening (they were VERY young, and were not from the US, so not sure they really "got it", and there was a bit of a language barrier in the presentation, too). There is a story and a game to the evening, and if it's executed well, I think it could be fun, with the right people. Unfortunately, the night we were there it missed the mark. We definitely didn't feel like our $70 was well spent (apps were bad, and the lack of taking specific drink orders). I think there were under 40 people there on our night, so it was a little sparsely attended, too.

Wish I could be more postive on this one. Maybe if you had a large group you were traveling with, and you all wanted to go and get into the spirit, maybe it might work out better.

Canada Rob -

If you have an enthusiastic group; if you are all into the theme/game/story of the evening (as it unfolds); if you know that you can look at the drink menu provided, and instead of accepting the drinks they offer you initially, you just begin the evening by asking to try whatever drink/drinks look good to you on the menu, etc., yes. I would also say that a good part of the evening focuses on dancing (not that I am anti-dancing; I just didn't want to be the only couple out there). And, don't expect much from the apps/food table.

By the way, there were more than gin drinks, there were rum and vodka drinks on the menu, too.

I still feel like $35/person is a bit steep for the 2 hour evening, but at least I would approach it differently, knowing what I know, now.

We did it a few years ago on Oasis, everyone was dressed up, it was great & everyone stayed longer then the set time, even my grandmother had a blast! I highly recommend it. I would do it again in an instant!