Liquor question

klei3354

This is the first time I will be flying to actually take a cruise. Usually i drive or go to a port that is close to me.

When bringing back 5+ liters of alcohol, where do you store it? Carry on bag? Just a separate box with the alcohol? I'm sure if I put it in my suitcase it would bring me over the 50 pounds allowed for suitcases.

Any tidbits or advice would be great!

Thanks

We just returned from Puerto Rico, where we were on the Constellation. I had 3 bottles in my back pack and 2 bottles in my rolling carry on. Just wrap them real well.

My travel companion had 8 bottles in a soft bag and they made him check it. We were worried but since they were boxed up by the store (A.H. Riese) we took a chance. Came out fine.

That would be great if you don't mind. I don't have the cabin number with me at work. It's actually an inside cabin...nothing special. I can get the # later when I'm at home.

The only question I really have is about the seating areas all over the ship. I just had knee surgery. I can walk without any problems at all, but I have a small knee brace on. I can't sit in restaurant style booths at all because I can't bend my knee well. I was just wondering if there are any booths on the ship that I should worry about. I hate requesting special seating.

Thanks in advance! Any other information you have would be great. How were the dinners in the main dining room? I can't wait to try the martini bar.

No. I don't recall any booths. Most all of the seating is "club chairs". Even when there is some bench seating, it's up against a wall and then it's flanked with 2 or more individual chairs. Even in public areas, I found all the chairs in the lounges rather comfy.

I was flying out of San Juan last month, and Continental was giving us a hard time about carrying on the carry box of liquor (divided to hold 6 bottles). They were reducing carry on to ONE item. I had the box and a little carry on the size of a magazine. Combine they were WAY less than the roll-ons that most people bring. They had to bring a manager over to make an exception.

I havent' had this problem in the past. But, it appears Continental is beefing up ways to gain extra revenue. If I had checked the box in, I would have been over my 2 check in limit and they would have charged. They were already charging me because one of my bags was 55 pounds! It's getting a little ridiculous.

Well, my mom who travels for work and is VERY used to all the luggage requirements said you get one carry on piece of luggage and one personal item. Meaning, a rolling small suitcase for example is a carry on and a purse OR backpack would be your personal item.

I had 2 bottles in my rolling carry on and I had 3 bottles in my backpack. One wrapped in bubble wrap and the other 2 were in a box/carry case from the liquor store.

My suitcase weighed in at 58lbs and I wasn't charged extra since my reservation was booked BEFORE they changed the weight limit. We were on American Airlines.

Someone with us was charged $25 for overweight luggage and is appealing for a refund now as they booked before the policy went into effect.

Regardless, my backpack could have held 4 bottles and the rolling carry on 3. Just be prepared for a backache! Also, I think if it's INSIDE a piece of luggage or backpack that the airline doesn't notice/care. Perhaps it's just the carry box's being toted around they oppose to.

The airline didn't even look in my bags so they didn't know what I had. The only folks who investigated them at all were security folks and then it was only via x-ray. I could have had toxic waste in the bottles and they wouldn't have known.

Bear in mind, that most flights are flying full, and the airlines are getting stricter about "extra" carry-on items. It might be a good idea to make sure all of your liquor purchases will fit in the ONE carry-on and ONE personal item that each passenger is allowed.

This is the first time I will be flying to actually take a cruise. Usually i drive or go to a port that is close to me.

When bringing back 5+ liters of alcohol, where do you store it? Carry on bag? Just a separate box with the alcohol? I'm sure if I put it in my suitcase it would bring me over the 50 pounds allowed for suitcases.

Any tidbits or advice would be great!

Thanks

8 bottles of wine (6X 750 and 2X 375) fit very nicely in my carry-on roller-style little suitcase with room to spare for basic toiletry items as well. That's the way it always travels on our cruises. My own secret recipe for success -- sweat socks.

Just realize that they're a whole lot more understanding about wine than they are hard booze when getting your bags on the ship.

Archived