Drinkable water in San Juan? Suggestion for hotel there?

Crazy4Camping

We were considering flying in a day early and getting a hotel in San Juan but my friend was told not to due to the bad water and other problems from the hurricanes. Does anyone know whether any of this is true and where a reasonably priced hotel near the port would be?

El Convento is in Old San Juan and is absolutely gorgeous. Plus they have an amazing tapas bar with the best sangria ever. You might also consider the Hilton El Caribe, which is a bit farther from the port but is also very nice.

We were considering flying in a day early and getting a hotel in San Juan but my friend was told not to due to the bad water and other problems from the hurricanes. Does anyone know whether any of this is true and where a reasonably priced hotel near the port would be?

We just spent 5 days in Old San Juan. I can assure you that the water in every restaurant, bar and hotel we visited was just fine. No problems, zilch, nada. Now, what other problems has your friend mentioned?

I would need to know what you consider reasonably priced before commenting on hotels. There is only one large chain hotel in OSJ ( Sheraton), the others are small boutique hotels. I presume you are asking about hotels in OSJ because the Fascination leaves from the pier in the old town.

I suggest you post these questions on the San Juan board in ports of call. There is a ton of information there about the condition of Puerto Rico and many posts about hotels.

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

We were in OSJ in February and had no problems with water. We stayed at Hotel Milano. The standard US chain hotels are typical prices for a big city. If you are looking for something under $200 a night, then you'll need to look at the boutique hotels like Casablanca, Hotel Milano, etc... I would just use something like booking,com and look at the map view. You can see prices for your dates as well as reviews and locations. We prefer to stay in OSJ because we like the fun night live and abundant restaurants.

Not sure where your friend is getting their info, as they are very mis-informed.

San Juan is in great shape, especially Old San Juan (although a walkway was damaged during a recent storm).

And the water is just fine. We've been in San Juan twice since Jan. Spending long weekends there.

We've found that AirBnB's in Old San Juan are very reasonable in price, and have a similar feeling to staying at El Convento.

We stayed at the Condado Hilton and it was great! It is just outside of OSJ so that is a short cab ride and it is on Ashford Avenue, which has a bunch of restaurants and bars.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums