Pictures from Monarch 12-19....12-23

pmenefee

Here's a link to some shots from our recent Monarch cruise out of LA. We had a great time with no problems. Some of these are from the J. Paul Getty museum in La before the trip. We took a LA highlights tour off the ship with drop off at the airport after the cruise, and if your flight leaves LA after 3:00 pm that's a good deal.

The photos are not so much of the ship, but of what I saw from the ship and at the various stops. Ensenada, San Diego, and Catalina Island. The animal shots are from the San Diego Zoo.

http://www.photozo.com/album/showgallery.php?cat=5706&ppuser=1866

You can click on each photo to enlarge or click on the first one and then the slideshow button to view automatically.

I'll be on the Monarch in May and am looking forward to it as well. Hopefully, a nice little getaway.

Fabulous pictures! Looks like you caught the early morning winter sunrise colors just beautifully! I also liked the framed shot of the Monarch from Catalina as well. Photography must be a fairly serious hobby for you and it shows.

Wonderful photos! Very professional looking. Thanks so much for sharing them. It looks so weird to see Monarch leaving port in the dark, a little after 5PM. We have only been in the summer and early fall when it is still light out.:)

Pete, your photos are awesome ! I just spent almost an hour looking at your gallery. I especially liked the native dancer in the Texas State Fair album. You have a great eye. I was wondering what you ment when you list a focal length and then a 35mm equivalent. I thought all the SLR lenses were the same. Do you use zooms or fixed length? Also, I would be amazed if these photos were with the auto focus mode, are they?

Again, thank you for sharing your photos with us.

Floater, thanks so much for the reply and for having a look at my photos. Your questions drew a blank with my small brain so I did a google search and came up with several pages that I looked at to see what 35mm equiv meant. Here's a representative page: http://www.panoramafactory.com/equiv35/equiv35.html

The camera encodes this information and it is just printed when I post the picture; I don't fill in the data which is the reason I didn't know the answer to your question. The difference a digital camera makes in the focal length is from the smaller size area that receives the image. I know the general rule is that there is a 1.6 multiplier to a 35mm lens........meaning a 200mm lens crops the picture you see like a (200X1.6) 320mm lens. The newest digital slr camera that I'm aware of has the 35mm size receptor just like film, so the 1.6 crop is a thing of the past if you're willing to pay $3,000 for a camera. Digital SLRs, for the most part, use the same lenses as film cameras, with the 1.6 crop (narrowed field of view).

I use both zooms and fixed length lenses.

Most of my photos were taken using the camera's auto focus mode.

Thanks so much for the questions and for looking at the pictures.

Curious what time you arrived at the airport? We booked the tour and ours shows 9am departure, 5 1/2 hour tour well that puts it at the airport at 2:30? Our flight is 3:00 and with the deadline for checking luggage it has me concerned.

WOW!! Amazing Pictures!!

Thanks,

Dawna

Dawna, we got to the airport about 1:30 pm. The tour guide was very attentive to the departure times of the people on board and moved our airport arrival up a bit because one passenger had a earlier departure. They won't take you on the tour if your flight leaves earlier than 3:00.

We found that since we had to buy an airport transfer anyway, and since our flight left at 3:50pm, this was a better way to spend the day than sitting in the airport. We were with the first groups to get off the ship (about 8:30am) which is a good deal too.:)

Dawna, we got to the airport about 1:30 pm. The tour guide was very attentive to the departure times of the people on board and moved our airport arrival up a bit because one passenger had a earlier departure. They won't take you on the tour if your flight leaves earlier than 3:00.

We found that since we had to buy an airport transfer anyway, and since our flight left at 3:50pm, this was a better way to spend the day than sitting in the airport. We were with the first groups to get off the ship (about 8:30am) which is a good deal too.:)

Our tickets say 3:00 straight up so hopefully the airline don't change the time before March. Will keep an eye out. Thanks for the info.

BonVoyage

Dawna

• 4 weeks later...

Archived