Drinks package rules

tillycass

Does anyone know how strict MSC are with the drink packages? I’m sailing with my sister and parents on the Magnifica in May and we have 2 cabins booked. My sister and I want to buy the drinks package but MSC stae all passengers on the same booking must have the same package. As my parents are in their 80’s and on lots of meds they don’t (can’t ) drink And it’s seems unfair to expect them to buy a package they can’t use.

Does anyone know how strict MSC are with the drink packages? I’m sailing with my sister and parents on the Magnifica in May and we have 2 cabins booked. My sister and I want to buy the drinks package but MSC stae all passengers on the same booking must have the same package. As my parents are in their 80’s and on lots of meds they don’t (can’t ) drink And it’s seems unfair to expect them to buy a package they can’t use.

I my experience they are fairly strict about people in the same cabin, or linked bookings sharing the same dining table, having to purchase the same drinks package.

This said it can still be useful even if you don't drink alcohol, as soft drinks, bottled water, specialty coffees; some smoothies / milkshakes and Gelato are included in the drinks package. it doesn't take many purchases (which have a 15% service charge applied) to be a net gainer from the purchase of the All inclusive basic package.

Hope you can do the maths and calculate the possible value in buying it.

Pete

Edited by Skier52

Hi,

If its you and your sister sharing the same cabin you will be able to add the drinks package to your cruise personaliser. I would think that your parents in a different cabin do not have to have this .MSC has a lot of different drink packages that may suit your parents...water,soft drinks,wine,beer and as Pete says, the drinks on MSC are very reasonable. Hope this helps.

Hi,

If its you and your sister sharing the same cabin you will be able to add the drinks package to your cruise personaliser. I would think that your parents in a different cabin do not have to have this .MSC has a lot of different drink packages that may suit your parents...water,soft drinks,wine,beer and as Pete says, the drinks on MSC are very reasonable. Hope this helps.

Here is the info from the UK MSC web site which states that they do all have to purchase the package

Highlighted is the section referring to guests who are travelling together and sitting at the same table

drinks%20package%2010.jpg

Pete

IMO, that part about having to eat with only those who also have the drink package is silly. That's why you have a sea pass card. It would be pretty obvious people were sharing the packing in the dining room I would think. That would be enough for me not to book MSC. "Sorry, Mom and Dad. We can't eat dinner with you because you don't have the drink package".

IMO, that part about having to eat with only those who also have the drink package is silly. That's why you have a sea pass card. It would be pretty obvious people were sharing the packing in the dining room I would think. That would be enough for me not to book MSC. "Sorry, Mom and Dad. We can't eat dinner with you because you don't have the drink package".

Its a ridiculous policy and I believe MSC is the only cruise line doing this.

I can’t see why it would be an issue sharing tables with those who don’t have the same package. Partner and I shared a table with two other couples on Divina - we had premium, one couple had classic, the other had none - and there were no issues.

I can’t see why it would be an issue sharing tables with those who don’t have the same package. Partner and I shared a table with two other couples on Divina - we had premium, one couple had classic, the other had none - and there were no issues.

there are no family loyalties with complete strangers, but you can imagine some families colluding to misuse the package, the vast majority wouldn't but undoubtedly a few would.

Pete

it doesn't say you have to eat with only others who have the package!!

It says people with linked bookings who share a table have to have the same packages, this means families and friends travelling together, not people who have no connection.

Just off the Seaside 03/31/2018.

Traveling with friends in 3 different cabins and we had 2 cabins all linked together.

Some had beverage package others did not and we all ate together in the same table same time

I remember reading, if other people had illness or never drank as they were elderly, who were traveling together, you could ring before hand, explain your situation an not everyone would have to purchase the same package.