Help choosing room on POA for family of 5!!!

mkgal

We are trying to decide which suite to book for a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids - 13, 11 and 7 year old) on NCL Pride of America. Considering 2 bedroom family suite (category SI - specifically room 10678) or a Penthouse with Large Balcony (category SE,SF, or SH - all on 13th deck - 13520,13522,13020, 13022,13018,13514, 31516, 13512, 13014,13016 - some have balconies that overlook the pool). We like the idea of the large balcony and privacy of master BR in the SI cat cabin but like the extra space in the cabin and bathroom in the other rooms. Price difference is minimal. Just trying to get the most bang for the buck. We have stayed in 2BR Haven suites on other NCL ships. Any advice, Pros/Cons, pictures or videos will be greatly appreciated!

I debated this as well. My personal opinion, after reviewing videos, is that the 2BDs look claustrophic/too boxy. I went with the Penthouse because it felt more open for me. I also don't think a family vacation is time to look for privacy--I'd rather have a big open space that we all enjoy together.

We stayed in 10678 on our cruise in march. The main bedroom has a king size bed but really tight . Second bedroom has fold out twin . Third bed is foldout . There is a regular door in main bedroom and sliding door to second bedroom, the deck is massive . I would try for deck nine as the room is right below deck 11 and it got noisy around 4:30 am as you heard chairs being moved as they cleaned the deck . The shower is tiny but manageable. We loved the extra perks of eating breakfast at cagneys and the trays of goodies left in room late every afternoon. We would definitely say in a two bedroom suite again . Being in the aft it is a long walk to some areas of ship but that was no big deal to us

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I debated this as well. My personal opinion, after reviewing videos, is that the 2BDs look claustrophic/too boxy. I went with the Penthouse because it felt more open for me. I also don't think a family vacation is time to look for privacy--I'd rather have a big open space that we all enjoy together.

I can't find videos or even very good pictures of 10678 to make a good side by side comparison. My travel agent has told me that 10678 only has 243 square feet and a 92 square foot balcony.

I'm so confused because the few pics and deckplans that show 10678 look much larger (especially the balcony) than the category SE rooms. The travel agent also says that SE rooms have 394 square feet with a 188 square foot balcony. Can this be correct? Any help is appreciated! I have to make a decision by tonight!:o

We stayed in 10678 on our cruise in march. The main bedroom has a king size bed but really tight . Second bedroom has fold out twin . Third bed is foldout . There is a regular door in main bedroom and sliding door to second bedroom, the deck is massive . I would try for deck nine as the room is right below deck 11 and it got noisy around 4:30 am as you heard chairs being moved as they cleaned the deck . The shower is tiny but manageable. We loved the extra perks of eating breakfast at cagneys and the trays of goodies left in room late every afternoon. We would definitely say in a two bedroom suite again . Being in the aft it is a long walk to some areas of ship but that was no big deal to us

How were the views? I've read that most of the times you are in port that this room only has views of the ocean. Part of the reason I am willing to squeeze into this room instead of the Penthouse suite is for the views and awesome balcony. Any thoughts?

ericmike - any pictures? I'm curious how many people you had in 10678. 9th floor is not available. Actually 10678 is the last room of this category available. I have to make a final decision tonight, so sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance!

I can't find videos or even very good pictures of 10678 to make a good side by side comparison. My travel agent has told me that 10678 only has 243 square feet and a 92 square foot balcony.

I'm so confused because the few pics and deckplans that show 10678 look much larger (especially the balcony) than the category SE rooms. The travel agent also says that SE rooms have 394 square feet with a 188 square foot balcony. Can this be correct? Any help is appreciated! I have to make a decision by tonight!:o

I don't recall the specific numbers, but if you google pdf of pride of america deck plans it should tell you. I think the issue is that NCL is really poor about explaining the difference between categories, or even rooms within categories. I just remember not liking the layout or video (maybe it was only pics?) of the 2BD.

Edited by pdcsgirl

I don't recall the specific numbers, but if you google pdf of pride of america deck plans it should tell you. I think the issue is that NCL is really poor about explaining the difference between categories, or even rooms within categories. I just remember not liking the layout or video (maybe it was only pics?) of the 2BD.

Thank you. I agree, the descriptions are vague at best. I was always under the impression that the second letter indicated the priority of the room - Like AA is a higher level room than AB. Yet in this case SI is more expensive than SE. Location and room size don't seem to follow this rule either. Thanks for replying. My husband says, "just pick one," but it's not that easy and now I know I'm not the only one who has had this dilemma!;)

ericmike - any pictures? I'm curious how many people you had in 10678. 9th floor is not available. Actually 10678 is the last room of this category available. I have to make a final decision tonight, so sorry for so many questions. Thanks in advance!

Thank you. I agree, the descriptions are vague at best. I was always under the impression that the second letter indicated the priority of the room - Like AA is a higher level room than AB. Yet in this case SI is more expensive than SE. Location and room size don't seem to follow this rule either. Thanks for replying. My husband says, "just pick one," but it's not that easy and now I know I'm not the only one who has had this dilemma!;)

It's all over the place. I tried for SF, but it wasn't available.

I went with SH (13514), but I can't find any pictures of it. I've seen pictures of 13512 and 13516--both SFs--and they have 2 different floorplans. So I have no idea what to expect with 13514. My TA has inquired by NCL hasn't got back to him. Doesn't bode well....

ericmike - your comment didn't come through on that last post

Sorry we had three of us as the fourth had to back out after initial reservation. The only problem with five people is only one bathroom I would think. The balcony has two lounge chairs and 5 chairs and a table . It was great also because we could see both port and starboard easily . It was relaxing listening to the water rushing beneath us . We were surprised at how little the three identical balconies below us were used . We could look down and see the railings of each deck